I need to talk about poo

Early Girlie

Jul 5, 2015
St Albans
Only on here could I title a post like that, eh?
Hubby has EOAD, diagnosed 2 years ago. I think he's still in the mild stage but only just.

However, we have a serious poo situation that's a whole new experience for me, especially as we don't have children so I've never dealt with it before even in that way.

He seems to have almost permanent diarrhoea at the moment, which comes on with no notice whatsoever. I know it's a side effect of Losartan, which he has recently been prescribed, so I'm assuming that's the reason and will discuss on next doctor visit.

Every time we leave the house, I worry myself silly about when the next bout is going to hit. I make sure he goes before we leave, but typically we'll be out for a few minutes and he'll announce he needs to go NOW. I have a disabled toilet access key which is a life saver, but if we're not near any facilities then it's open air or soiled clothes. We've had both. Luckily my handbag always contains tissues, dog poo bags and hand sanitisers!

When we're at home, he seems to have lost the ability to judge whether he needs to go to the toilet or is just going to break wind, which he has always blithely done without a care. I've always found it pretty vile but when it's a misjudgement and I then have to clean up the clothing, or soak the bedsheets, it takes it to a whole new level. And then if he doesn't wash himself properly afterwards, I've also got the towel to soak.

I've got waterproof mattress covers and incontinence pads on the bed, but it doesn't save the sheets, and the soiled clothing.

I'd be really grateful for all and any coping strategies or product recommendations. Also, is it "normal" to need to go so often, i.e., about 6-8 times a day?

Thanks
EG

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Only suggestion I have is not to wait for next gp visit unless it is in the next 24 hours, try and get an appointment as soon as you can. 6-8 times a day is too much even for a side effect, how long has he been taking the new medication?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I think a visit to the Continence Clinic might be in order to get a supply of inco pads.
If the new medication causes him such side effects you might want to back go to the GP. Are you certain it's from that and not diarrhoea overflow, which you can get when you're seriously constipated? Have it checked.

Clunchman

Account on hold
Dec 6, 2016
Mt wife has been on Losartan for a few years. And, previous to vascular dementia, it could be an urgent call for the toilet, but always enough time to find a public convenience/supermarket/pub. (I liked pub best. :D ) But since the vascular dementia is double incontinent.
Waiting to hear from the continence nurse here. Only been 3 weeks so far!

Would he wear pull ups as that may help? Have just managed to persuade my wife to wear them when we go out.

Steve115

May 17, 2016
Huntingdon area
Until you get to see a medical professional you could try Imodium/Loperamide. They are perfectly natural and should help. Start with two and then take one after each instance until it is under control.

You can buy them in boxes of 30 tablets for about £3.

I have Crohns and have taken them for over 30 years without any side effects.

Good luck.
Steve

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Until you get to see a medical professional you could try Imodium/Loperamide. They are perfectly natural and should help. Start with two and then take one after each instance until it is under control.

You can buy them in boxes of 30 tablets for about £3.

I have Crohns and have taken them for over 30 years without any side effects.

Good luck.
Steve

However, this will make things worse if the problem is caused by constipation with overflow . . .

Early Girlie

Jul 5, 2015
St Albans
Thank you all so much. I will get him checked out.

Great suggestions too. I've never heard of 'overflow' and he had quite a bit of constipation in the past (won't eat his veggies!). I'm moving towards incontinence pants/pull-ups but it's a gentle progression as he gets a bit aggressive when I suggest new things. He'll come round as he gets used to the idea. And of course, Imodium. Why on earth didn't I think of that?!

EG

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Also I would suggest bed pads on top of the sheet. At least then you'll only have the bed pad to wash. But if the diarrhoea is something new, I would definitely not wait until the next doctor appointment, I'd be phoning the doctor now.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I agree with Slugsta.

If the problem is overflow Imodium is not ideal.

Overflow (also known as bypass) happens when there is a blockage and liquid faeces bypasses the obstruction. However my experience of this was not 'times per day' but 'days per time'. I learnt to recognise the occurrence by the consistency.

I also agree with 'don't wait contact the GP ASAP'.

thetroutfisher

Jun 5, 2016
Firstly I would contact the Doctors ASAP. To help while out contact The Bladder and Bowel foundation on 01536 533255 for a small donation they will supply you with a card "Just can't wait" presented to shops or other businesses normally gets you in to use their toilets. We have one for my wife and have never been refused by any shops who allow her to use their staff loos.

thetroutfisher

Jun 5, 2016
Firstly I would contact the Doctors ASAP. To help while out contact The Bladder and Bowel foundation for a small donation they will supply you with a card "Just can't wait" presented to shops or other businesses normally gets you in to use their toilets. We have one for my wife and have never been refused by any shops who allow her to use their staff loos. I would give you an online link but apparently I am not allowed to as my count is 5 not 10!!!!!!!!!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Early Girlie
dad was utterly blocked up once and needed to go to hospital to be 'flushed out' - that's how serious it can get - he was fine and actually accepted the 'intrusion' quite placidly - I too have not had children and had no idea this could happen - so please do have your husband checked out
if this is as a result of the meds, it means he's not really tolerating that drug - you both can't live your lives in this fashion
be careful of using the immodium without checking with his GP
here's the link mentioned
https://www.bladderandbowel.org/help-information/just-cant-wait-card/
best wishes

Early Girlie

Jul 5, 2015
St Albans
Wow, thank you again. The Just Can't Wait card looks perfect.

Hubby has watched me with the bedding today and sheepishly asked if I can get him any pads to wear in his pants. I love him so much. The indignity of this wretched disease is so unfair.

EG

Jeanana

Jul 7, 2017
Dorset
I'm new to the forum but I have a similar problem with my husband. In the last 5 weeks he's had 3 bouts of severe diarrhoea- so bad that I have to change all clothing and at night all bedding including the duvet despite the fact he's wearing special fecal pants and lying on a waterproof pad. I can control it with Loperamide but as soon as I stop that, the runs seem to begin again. The doctor has referred OH for a colonoscopy.....the preparation for that should be fun as he doesn't drink much at the best of times!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonathan95