What do people do?

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Like many of you I have posted about trials, tribulations and occasional giggle you have when caring for someone with dementia. So many of my posts, I guess like many of you have been made when in the depths of despair, frustrated, angry, sad at the way caring has changed my life.

I am a glass half empty person I know, always been the same and consequently never felt majorly disappointed or let down when things went wrong but maybe conversely never allowed myself to feel ecstatic and elated when they have gone right- only relieved.

However today we have had a good day, partly in due to my Mum's lovely sitter who lifts all our spirits when she arrives. Took Mum out for drive while I took my daughter out to a local event and then chatted and made drinks for both of them whilst I did a bit of gardening. Mum and daughter now in bed, beloved son home from Uni upstairs on X box and hubby away for the night so no one to tell me I have overfilled the kettle for one cup of tea or to turn the hob rings down and not have everything boiling away and I can have TV at a reasonable level that doesn't make the photos on the piano vibrate.
Just sitting here with the Saturday papers and a glass of wine and no one else in my ear hole! A small and simple pleasure but so rare I really am enjoying it.

What small things do others enjoy doing when they get the opportunity?

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
It's those small, simple things, isn't it? My husband died almost two years ago now, but when I was caring for him at home, the one thing that would be guaranteed to help me get things in perspective, relax and recuperate a little, was simply to go outside at night! I live in the country, and on a clear night here, the stars are breathtaking. And even to go out to the far garden at dusk, and watch the bats flitting around. These days, I can waste a lot of time watching the chickens (terrible time wasters, chickens! ) or my son in law's bees, which he keeps here, as they don't have a garden.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
We have several bird feeders in our garden and have an almost constant stream of birds come down to them. I love sitting in the conservatory with my binoculars watching them

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I am a reader and a walker when I get the chance. Anything to get away mentally if not physically from rambling nonsense. My husband is a nice, wellbehaved, mannerly person but a constant stream of sentences which start out on one topic and finish on something else entirely drives me to distraction.

So I don't want much but I do want sensible conversation.

Jo Sutton

Jul 8, 2016
Surrey
Thanks, father ted, for reminding us all that we do have things to be grateful for.

I'm lucky enough to have hubby helping me care for Mum, so I can go out to work one day a week while he takes over.

The opportunity to get into a professional environment, doing a job I love, with amazing people who are all friends, is the one thing that keeps me sane and feeling like I am something other than 'just' a carer. It's invaluable!

Hugs

Jo xx