Current thinking on Alzheimers

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I have a famously poor memory memory of childhood stuff, day to day. Even later, when I was a young woman, I have only snatches of memories. Can't remember day to day things at all. Or even things that seemed like important things to others. My youngest brother has a phenomenal memory. He's an entertainer. He does gigs in pubs, restaurants, and other small entertainment venues. Been doing that most of his adult life. At one time, he told me he had a five hour repertoire in his head, except his voice wouldn't hold out that long! So, maybe that's partly why he's so good. But he has clear memories of when he was young, of me bringing him to the first Star Wars movie, and to a couple of concerts. I have no memory at all of ever seeing any of the Star Wars movies, or of bringing him to any movies or concerts. Day to day, though, I'm fine. I don't forget appointments or stuff like that, although I'm convinced supermarkets spray us with stuff as we walk in the door to wipe our memory of what we went in for!:D And a couple of years in a row, I did two hours of cognitive & memory tests for a study on the effects of stress on spousal carers of people with dementia, and to my relief, I did very well on those. I've never, even as a child, been able to understand how figures work, so they didn't do the mathematical parts. The whole point of that study was to see if the amount of stress carers of people with dementia are more likely to develop cognitive impairment themselves, and/or go on to develop dementia, and the role stress plays in the development of dementia, so saliva samples were taken at intervals during the test too, to measure cortisol levels. All very interesting!

Flower girl

Jan 27, 2017
Bedfordshire
I totally agree when I think back years little things would happen and I remember thinking at the time about dementia but they were one offs so thought nothing to worry about. Then things happened again (he got lost coming home from friends house) but then all fine again so put it out of my mind. Most of the things that happened were down to driving as I suppose you don't notice behaviour and attitude as much but now thinking back there were more things that related to dementia. Sad thing is when we really did think that was what was happening and went to doctors just were told don't worry it's just memory. We were told this probably over two years then in the end went back as things really got bad. Why do they not listen to you?

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
A long time before

Yes - I can understand that. I know that people from TP who knew Bill wouldn't recognise this in him but he could be an extremely difficult person at times. He constantly thought that people didn't like him or had it in for him - even when he was still working as a headteacher. He took everything so personally. It got worse as the years went on but in the final years he was more of the person I married. I used to do my best to compensate for what he felt and go the extra mile to counter what he thought of himself and his relationship with others. Ours was thankfully, a strong marriage and I'm glad we saw it right through to the end. I could imagine that some relationships might not stand the test.
Reading what izzy and the rest of you said I now believe the Alzheimer's was showing signs at least 14 years before diagnosis. I had seen definite signs six years before diagnosis which means eight years ago, but my OH developed a strong sense of feeling people were out to get him at least 14 years ago and his temper flared up so much quicker. Creeping Alzheimer's is a good way to put it. As the disease has progressed and having gone through many more stages it is now more a case of him protecting his possessions from non exsisting people who might take his things if they are not hidden away even though I explain to him there is only him and me in the house. Here's hoping that they will finally get a cure to protect future generations from this awful disease.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm sorry to hear that Margherita. I'm glad you've found this forum and I hope it helps to share here. Wishing you strength.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
I'm sorry to hear that Margherita. I'm glad you've found this forum and I hope it helps to share here. Wishing you strength.
Thank you! I need strength...and patience
The forum is so helpful
I read a lot (which is easier for me)but somethimes I give up writing because it is not easy to express my thoughts in another language
you are all so kind to me and forgive my mistakes

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Thank you! I need strength...and patience
The forum is so helpful
I read a lot (which is easier for me)but somethimes I give up writing because it is not easy to express my thoughts in another language
you are all so kind to me and forgive my mistakes

I'm in awe of how good your English is. I wish I could speak another language!

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
I had never thought that some of my husband's attitudes and behaviours over the years before the diagnosis might be related to Alzheimer.
After reading your posts I have realized that what I supposed to be only unpleasant aspects of his character, might be very early symptoms of his illness

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Margherita until I accepted that this illness probably began a long time ago, I and my three daughters thought my husband might have Asperger syndrome. He's really a very nice person but occasionally behaved in a way that was irrational and damaging. We also thought his deafness was worse than it was. In fact we went through every possible excuse we could think of. Once I faced up to early beginnings of Alzheimers possibly fifteen or twenty years ago then it all made more sense.

Your situation with a difficult, more argumentative husband adds an additional problem for you to deal with.

golfer38

Aug 7, 2016
Hindsight is wonderful isn't it. I constantly asked my OH to get checked for diabetes because of his mood swings and aggression for about 5 years before he was diagnosed with dementia 8 years ago. His symptoms obviously were showing for years he retired at 54 but talking to colleagues he was struggling with work for a good few years. He passed last year aged 69 so was struggling with this illness for about 20 years. Hopefully a cure or medication will be found soon which can help the next generation too late for us.

cuppatea

Oct 28, 2016
South Wales
So much of this resonates with me too. Was it just grumpiness and bad temper - everyone's out to get me, all my things have been moved etc etc probably 30 years ago in his late 40s so you make allowances and learn not to reason because reason is out of the question. Mini strokes I recognise now but undiagnosed at the time 15 years ago. Yes I agree with you. As you say diagnosis so many years ago would be devastating until some treatment is found..