Fil had a fall in the night....

Mammamu

Jan 10, 2017
Bucks
Hello,

Need some advice please!

Fil fell in the night, taken in ambulance to A & E x-ray confirmed broken hip.....
He is very confused, upset and trying to pull out drip and catheter.

What can we do to help him?

I'm really scared as he is 93 and I don't think he will cope with the operation and the after care!!!!

Anyone got any suggestions?

Mammamu

CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY, USA
Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear about your FIL's difficulties. If they have not already, ask them to check for a urinary tract infection (UTI) as this can both precipitate a fall and cause severe confusion and crazy behavior.

Hospitals are also very difficult environments for people with dementia. Try to keep the lights a bit lowered, stimulation limited, and keep any sense of routine you can for him. Delirium (different from dementia) often passes after the person returns to their usual environment, but it can be hellish while it goes on. Also mention his dementia to every person you encounter at the hospital and see if they can put appropriate signage up in his room to remind all carers about this.

Keep posting, and good luck!

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I'm so sorry to hear this.

Hospitals are so challenging for persons with dementia. The best advice I can offer is to make sure he always has someone with him, family, hospital staff, paid carers, whatever it takes, so he always has one-to-one company and someone to reassure him.

Also have a very frank and open discussion with the doctors and consultants, and lay out your concerns about surgery, anesthesia, recovery, rehab, physio, and what happens after discharge. There may be options; you won't know unless you ask and you may have to be very assertive. Or you may find sympathetic and understanding staff.

I went through this earlier this year with my mother (kneecap, not hip), and it is challenging. Sending you all kinds of good wishes and I'm so sorry.