Live in Care fees after the money has run out

ness3765

Jun 28, 2017
Hi. Im looking for information. My mum has a 24 hour live in carer and self funds this. My question is once my mum has reached the £23500 where this is the threshold for financial help, does this mean she wont have to sell her house to continue paying for her live in care, OR will I have to arrange with the local authority to pay for her live in care costs and then once she has passed away the house has to be sold to reimburse her care bill ?
Thanks Ness

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
Hello and welcome to Talking Point.

I am sure others will be able to confirm, but my understanding would be that your mum would probably have to move to a care home because the Local Authority would not fund the cost of live in carers, as it is so much more than the cost of a care home.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Hi. Im looking for information. My mum has a 24 hour live in carer and self funds this. My question is once my mum has reached the £23500 where this is the threshold for financial help, does this mean she wont have to sell her house to continue paying for her live in care, OR will I have to arrange with the local authority to pay for her live in care costs and then once she has passed away the house has to be sold to reimburse her care bill ?
Thanks Ness
You will need to contact your Local Authority Social Service to conduct a Needs Assessment and take it from there. Do this well before the money runs out.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I doubt very much that her LA will fund 24 hour live-in care. They will assess her for either carers 4 times a day or the cheapest care home that fulfils her needs. If she is going into a care home, you can ask for a deferred payment agreement which means you can wait with selling the house until her death, but then they will want their money.

Leswi

Jul 13, 2014
Bedfordshire
Just a thought on this subject if you really want to keep mum at home with her same care ... you could consider an equity release scheme attached to her house.