So, here we are.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Thinking of you LadyA, and Sylvia, on this special day to each of you - and of William and Dhiren. They are never far from us; tears and happy memories too.

Love
Loo xxx

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
I`m listening to it now, for the first time. Wonderful Lyrics.

William is being remembered on his birthday even by those who did not know him. :)

PS. It`s a special day for me too, the anniversary of the day Dhiren and I met in 1959.

Memories that never fade
I met my 'Love ' in June 1946
I had just come back from working in the east end of London on bomb damage
I was decorating a staircase in ribbon factory and the factory girls used to race down the stairs on the way to the works canteen
On one occasion a lovely girl asked if she could get something for me in the canteen
She bought me a jam sandwich
My heart was lost forever on that day
Love does not always start with flowers ad chocolates
But -----A JAM SANDWICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jimbo!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Memories that never fade
I met my 'Love ' in June 1946...............................
She bought me a jam sandwich
My heart was lost forever on that day
Love does not always start with flowers ad chocolates
But -----A JAM SANDWICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jimbo!

That will make you just a bit older than I am Jimbo. :)

There`s nothing wrong with a jam sandwich. In those days Jam will have been rationed. It was precious.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
That will make you just a bit older than I am Jimbo. :)

There`s nothing wrong with a jam sandwich. In those days Jam will have been rationed. It was precious.

I've"inherited" a habit from my dad, who was raised during the war (or, as it was called over here, "The Emergency"!) of having either butter or jam on bread, but never both! My dad's mother needed to be a very frugal woman, and a year's supply of jam - usually blackberry because they were free - was made every year for her family.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I met my love in April 1970. We got engaged ( only three weeks later:eek: but told my folks two months later;)) and we were married in May 1971( no shotguns required:cool:)...... I was a child bride (nearly) 18 and one month. My parents didn't approve, Mum wanted to make me a ward of court:mad:, and many shook their heads and said it wouldn't last:eek::eek::eek: 46 years later..... we are still together and it's his 70th birthday this week. Doesn't time fly when you are having fun?:D:D:D

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I met my love in April 1970. We got engaged ( only three weeks later:eek: but told my folks two months later;)) and we were married in May 1971( no shotguns required:cool:)...... I was a child bride (nearly) 18 and one month. My parents didn't approve, Mum wanted to make me a ward of court:mad:, and many shook their heads and said it wouldn't last:eek::eek::eek: 46 years later..... we are still together and it's his 70th birthday this week. Doesn't time fly when you are having fun?:D:D:D

I WAS born by 1970, so I guess that means you aren't that much older than me - I was born in November of 1960.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I was also threatened with being made a ward of court. We decided to wait till I was 21 so my parents could see we were serious and not impulsive. It didn't help. They still disapproved and said the marriage wouldn't last.

It lasted. :)

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Sorry I missed William's birthday, LadyA. Hope the day wasn't too sad for you. Have always liked the words of that song. Just about sums it all up.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I've got David Attenborough's Planet Earth II to watch on DVD. I've really wanted to see it. But it's also making me so desperately sad and miss William so much! Oh how he would have loved it. He would have been so impatient for it to come out on dvd, so he could get it, and we would have watched it over and over, as we did all the other wildlife/natural history/travel DVD's that he loved so much. I got rid of them when he went to the nursing home - gave them to a school. I was so tired of them. Never thought I would miss them, but now and then I do. Or I suppose, I really miss watching them with William.

MollyD

Mar 27, 2016
Ireland
Oh, LadyA.:( Those moments are such heart wrenching winders and seem endless.

It's early days for me but there are so so many moments when it seems *everything* was imbued with mum's presence/dna and therefore, now her absence.

Photos, pens, cups, belts, leaves, flowers, worktops, pavements, rooms, post offices, supermarkets, whole spaces, worlds, everything... Just whacks me wetly in the heart and gut. I'm getting quite accustomed to crying at the drop of a hat, a set of keys, a shopping bag, a letter through the letter box now... I used not be a very 'wet tear cryer' but lately it just gushes.

I hope you felt close to William (as much as you miss him) watching the dvds. Hugs x

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
No idea why, but tonight, I suddenly feel like I'm -not getting old, but certainly getting not as young as I was! When did I become invisible? A car (which thankfully had been stopped and was in heavy traffic so going very slowly) actually drove straight into me on a pedestrian crossing today! The driver was waiting for the car in front to move forward so she could go, and never registered the pedestrian crossing, nor me, right in front of her! The instant the other car moved, she took off. I didn't even fall, so not at all hurt. But seriously - have I faded into nothingness? People don't even notice me when I'm right in front of them??
And I just hope my son in law has not passed on his awful cold to me!
I think some paracetamol and bed!

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
On the days when I am invisible but actually feel alive, I'll say " Woo Hoo The Diet is working. I'm so slim no one can see me":D:rolleyes:
Then on the other invisible days it's "See no one notices me. I told you so":(.

Even, dressed as I am today in scarlet jeans and a white and navy striped top, I'm invisible. Perhaps only I can see the Scarlet and everyone else ignores the Grey?

Hmmmm.....