Claiming Attendance Allowance

Kirsty3030

Mar 26, 2017
Good Evening
My dad has vascular dementia and has become increasingly worse in the last few months , in trying to claim attendance allowance for my mum. It's the only thing they can apparently claim as they are home owners - however the form suggests that my dad needs to sign and complete as the allowance is technically for his care, however according to him he doesn't have a problem and is healthier than he was 20 years ago (how I wish that was true!). So I know he wouldn't sign or show any consent to it. He has no idea what he puts my mum through every day - let malone me and the rest of the family - has anyone claimed for this in similar circumstances?

Oh Knickers

Nov 19, 2016
I'd double check the signing bit. My sister did the AA (attendance allowance) form for both my father and mother and neither parent signed. It was all done online. I'd suggest getting guidance from any of the following:

CAB

Alzheimer's Society
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/

Age UK
http://www.ageuk.org.uk/

AA is the most important benefit to claim as it is the threshold to alert the SS (Social Services) should the time come for their services. Once AA is in place you can then also go for Council Tax Disregard. You do need a formal diagnosis letter to be able to attach to the claim. Again all done online. Go onto your local council website. Look for Council Tax Disregard and then the tactlessly named Mental Impairment Disregard. You need to print off the form to get it signed either by the GP or by the Consultant to complete the claim. Ensure that the date of diagnosis is correct and a refund will be retrospective. Your Dad will then no longer have to pay his part of Council Tax. The money could go to befrienders, clubs or care.

Hope that helps.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Kirsty3030
from what I remember, there is a section on the form for somone else to explain why they are sending in the application on behalf of the applicant - so, if that's correct, your mum could fill that in and make the application

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Remember to fill the form in describing what he is like on his worst day. This is not trying it on - it is how DWP wants you to fill it in. So dont think "Oh, most of the time hes not too bad" - fill it in describing the day from hell.

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
We applied for Attendance Allowance for both parents a few years ago and I believe the forms have changed a bit since then, but we contacted Age UK and they sent a very nice lady round to talk us through the forms and fill them in for us. It wasn't that they were difficult forms as such but, as has been mentioned above, you need to describe the worst case scenarios that can happen. There are also certain terms that will give you a better chance of a successful application and Age UK know this terminology. They didn't charge for their services, either for the initial application forms or the forms applying for the increased rate as my parents deteriorated. We got both awards straight away with no need to appeal (although Age UK can help you with that too if you do get turned down initially).

Even if you don't feel it necessary to get them round to help with they are full of excellent advice. I thoroughly recommend you contact them.

Jo Sutton

Jul 8, 2016
Surrey
I applied for attendance allowance for Mum and filled in the form for her. But I have POA and enclosed a certified copy. Now all her post from the DWP comes to me.

Hope that helps!

Hugs

Jo xx