Adult Social services - How long does it take?

Dayperson

Feb 18, 2015
I know this question depends on the area and number of cases they have to deal with but how long should it take between contacting social services and getting them to come for an assessment?

Dad contacted them 2 weeks ago and we've heard nothing. Is this normal (we are in Shrewsbury).

I am concerned that mum appears to be getting worse, the bed wetting is almost every day and she is a lot more lethargic.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
When I first applied it took nine weeks before anyone came back to me. I ended up cancelling it anyway as our financial situation and my working hours were going to be changing within a few months at that point so I thought it best to wait so we could be assessed on our new situation and needs once we were into a new routine.
I haven't re-applied yet.

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Keep chasing them up, preferably in writing so that you have a paper trail.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I don't know what "normal" is with them as it varies so much. They might well have targets like "within a month", but if you're not happy waiting, there is only one thing: chase, chase and chase again. The door that squeaks the loudest often gets oiled first.
Also, you need to know what you want from them. For example, how do you want to combat the lethargy? If it's with a Day Centre or sitters, that's their domain. If you think medication might help, go to the GP.

If your Mum is incontinent, have the GP refer her to the Continence Service for inco pads, and to a District Nurse to maybe get a wipable mattress. The rest (Kylie sheets, mattress protectors) will be up to you to buy.

uselessdaughter

Jun 8, 2009
West Country
Took nine months of badgering by myself, my brother and Dad's GP. In the end I had to refuse to get off the phone untill they gave me a date. I made a formal complaint but nothing happened because they then 'lost' all the paperwork. Not a time I look back on with much joy.:eek: Keep on to them!

LilyJ

Apr 13, 2017
We were very fortunate in that we only had to wait a couple of weeks!
But I was ready to pester should it have been necessary.
It might be best if you can keep up the contact yourself, especially if your Dad is not the pushy kind.
I hope it's not too long or too stressful.

Dayperson

Feb 18, 2015
Also, you need to know what you want from them. For example, how do you want to combat the lethargy? If it's with a Day Centre or sitters, that's their domain. If you think medication might help, go to the GP.

Thanks for the replies, I'll get dad to keep chasing them.

I'd never thought about it, but looking at mum it's both. She is sleeping during the day and has little interest in do anything so it would be good for her to have someone or something to do to keep her awake and sleep at night but also there is medical stuff too. Dad has gone back to fetch our medical notes which the doctor in the UK has asked for so I am on my own for the week. Hopefully with the notes, we can sort out her depression and bad knees and water retention.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Been waiting for a Carers Assessment for 3 months after being told it would take about 6 weeks max. They won't even do an assessment for C, as she is in supported accommodation and that means she needs no extra support. If it was not for support from Carers Centre and Dementia Navigators we would be struggling, so some part of the system works.

Midow

Jun 13, 2017
Wales
I also waited three months for a Carers Assessment. I was told that if my husband also had an assessment the wait would not be so long!

Dayperson

Feb 18, 2015
I had a phone call from social services to say mum is on the waiting list and to phone them if she gets worse.

I hope it won't be too long, we have had excellent treatment so far from the memory clinic and GP. We are waiting on our old medical notes for more treatment.

One issue I am still struggling with is the night. Mum is still wetting the bed and I find her in the morning not wearing pants. We keep the lights on all night, keep the en suite door open and I have loads of pants in her bedside draw and bedside table and bathroom. Is there anything I can do to help her remind her to wear pants and save the bed? I hope things improve or they can suggest something when we see the continence people next week.

Also she sleeps a lot during the day, should I just let her or keep waking her up?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I recall Izzy and others posting about PJs which opened up the back. This is a help for people who are incontinent and want to remove their pads etc. Maybe one of them could post again the website for these PJs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cat09