Care Home Funding Horror Stories

velocity

Feb 18, 2013
North Notts
I made the decision to place my Mum in a Care Home as I could not cope anymore, I was seriously heading down the Carer Breakdown route, the decision was agony, but after 11 weeks she's thriving the Care Home is made great by the people who run it and work there. Now Mums money will be running out soon, so I am applying for funding.

I met one of the family in the Care Home car park of a person who was in the same position as my Mother, she could not care for herself but Social Services decided she could after an assessment period that the family did not agree with, and would not facilitate so Social Services turned up and transported this poor lady with Alzheimer's who could do nothing for herself from the Care Home to the Assessment Centre for six weeks, then decided she could live in 'Assisted Living' 1 Bed flat which had to be fully furnished within one week. She couldn't live on her own and was constantly in hospital where she hadn't eaten or drank anything she had 'Carers' four times a day. The poor woman was petrified.

ALL against the wishes of the family, it was only after the family contacted the local Person to plead yet again for help that she was re-instated.

I am truly worried.

I wonder how common this is?

Last edited:

velocity

Feb 18, 2013
North Notts
Thank you so much Kevini and Oh Knickers.
I am sorry I haven't replied earlier my mind has been in a whirl. Iv'e had my Gall Bladder removed, I have been recouping. I do not seem to come to grips with this situation I feel so useless and voiceless my emotions are up and down. Relief that I had made the decision, relief the CH seems good for Mum Job done. Seems not though. The Panel meeting is on Wednesday. I had a Report from a Psychiatrist for 24/7 care, but was told its ok as long the panel wants to read it! Then told the only time they need Medical Reports is for Medical Needs this a Needs Assessment! That I was wrong to place Mum in a Care Home before advising them. Knowing Mums money would diminish. But have previously been advised to find a Care Home myself as Mum had savings! I had been looking for respite with a view that if I couldn't cope I would have some idea where to go. As good advice from most people. I tried two Care Homes but they couldn't meet mums needs, Mums Dementia dipped suddenly I was too exhausted to notice or just had my blinkers on. Anyway I have a Care Home that isn't too expensive and handling Mum well. Not that far from home.
She has Severe Mental Health problems and Severe Dementia.