So, here we are.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
wow - Verity was correct with her prediction

And it's made me chuckle (on another bad day where I am feeling really down - one nightmare teenager! ) that the filter has removed the name of Jimbo's farmyard animals

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
wow - Verity was correct with her prediction

And it's made me chuckle (on another bad day where I am feeling really down - one nightmare teenager! ) that the filter has removed the name of Jimbo's farmyard animals

Hello jugglingmum;
I do admit I get annoyed and frustrated with political correctness .
, but also admit it is necessary in some cases
I was amused when I saw that my reference to our wonderful farmyard cockerel You know You know , the male chicken that goes **** -a DOODLE - Doo had been censored
jimbo
ps it's done it again

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
They don't actually have to perch, Lady A. So long as they are off the ground and vermin can't get in, they'll be fine.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
They don't actually have to perch, Lady A. So long as they are off the ground and vermin can't get in, they'll be fine.
I know but if they don't, they get mucky bums, which makes for mucky eggs! Even muckier than they get by being "artistically arranged" by mucky chicken feet! :rolleyes: And I know eggs have a protective coating on them to prevent bacteria getting through the shell, which is why you aren't supposed to wash them until immediately before use, and then wash in warm water as cold draws bacteria in. But still I'd rather avoid as much dirt getting on them in the first place as possible!

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Crikey...5 eggs a day makes for a lot of egg sarnies during the week..... somebody will be getting egg bound quite quickly:rolleyes::rolleyes:

But OOOOOHHHHHH fresh chucky eggs and soldiers......Yummy!!:D:D:D

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Sorry. Our ark had slatted wood floor, so it was an inch or so off the grass, plus three laying boxes. Never had mucky bums or dirty eggs. Always understood raised perches were to keep vermin at bay. The ark was moved every day/ two days depending on how many hens were in it.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Sorry. Our ark had slatted wood floor, so it was an inch or so off the grass, plus three laying boxes. Never had mucky bums or dirty eggs. Always understood raised perches were to keep vermin at bay. The ark was moved every day/ two days depending on how many hens were in it.

Static house, 3 ft off the ground, in secure run. Roofed, weldmesh walls & paved floor. I could easily fit around 20 hens in the run, although the main house was only built to hold 10 (there's a second house, which I've closed off). The most I've ever had at one time was 9, including a few retirees!

To be honest, Maureen, just for me, it wouldn't be worth keeping them. But really, I got them so dau & SIL can have good eggs. I buy free range organic eggs too, but I would only use half a doz a week or so, unless I'm doing baking. So, €2.78 isn't bad for me. But dau & SIL couldn't afford to pay that for the amount of eggs they get through. And as I had the run, house and big enclosed grass pen for them to free range in, it seems a shame not to use it.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I totally agree, I'd love them but we have a tiny ( about 10 feet x 14 feet at its widest) patio, including the border with shrubs and pots and a bird feeder and a bird bath. We have a communal grass behind our houses but the fox uses it as a thoroughfare nightly.....so no chance of hens there either! Get the occasional hedgehog passing through too.

We go in for communal tomato plants in our close. Our neighbour starts them off then anyone and everyone gets plants to pot on. If we could have had hens too we could have had lovely eggymarto sarnies ( know here as seaside sarnies 'cos that's what we had for picnics at the coast in our childhood).

At least your Darling Philip will get lush egg custards and scrambled eggs and eggy bread.....:D:D:D:D

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I totally agree, I'd love them but we have a tiny ( about 10 feet x 14 feet at its widest) patio, including the border with shrubs and pots and a bird feeder and a bird bath. We have a communal grass behind our houses but the fox uses it as a thoroughfare nightly.....so no chance of hens there either! Get the occasional hedgehog passing through too.

We go in for communal tomato plants in our close. Our neighbour starts them off then anyone and everyone gets plants to pot on. If we could have had hens too we could have had lovely eggymarto sarnies ( know here as seaside sarnies 'cos that's what we had for picnics at the coast in our childhood).

At least your Darling Philip will get lush egg custards and scrambled eggs and eggy bread.....:D:D:D:D
You could grow a lot in growbags or pots! I put peas in a flowerbed this year, simply because there's a railing behind it, so they can climb up that. Saves me putting supports in the veg garden for them.

And if your neighbours were interested, you could get between you, a secure, moveable chicken coop & run, which could be moved around the grass area every couple of days, and the hens would be locked into the coop at night, so foxy couldn't get them. Of course, there would be the extra work involved of cleaning out the coop!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I'm supposed to be out working in the garden, while it's not raining. Bright sunny day, but there's a chilly wind blowing, and occasional squally shower. Not to mention that I am falling asleep on the couch!

William has a "neighbour" in the graveyard. There's been a funeral since the last day I was there, and there's now a man buried next to him.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
We're doing ok, Verity, thanks. Chicks producing eggs, charmer producing charm! :D I'm a bit fed up waiting for Summer. We had a short spell of reasonably nice weather a few weeks ago, but have had lots of rain, and lots of strong winds since. Didn't rain yesterday so I got most of the grass cut, but then it rained last night, and today was forecast to be beautifully warm and sunny. It was, for about an hour around midday! Cloudy, with strong wind again now! :rolleyes: Hate the wind! Still, things could be worse. How are you and Fred?

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
How are you and Fred?

We are OK. Thanks, LadyA. I was on holiday for a week and it seems I wasn't missed which is a good thing I suppose. I don't think Fred is aware that I am his wife any longer but always gives me a nice smile if he's awake. He has a lot of problems with his mobility now following his fall at New Year but overall seems to be as happy as he can be. The weather is variable here too. Have a couple of warm days followed by cooler ones and can't remember such strong winds during summer months. At least the washing gets dried!

MollyD

Mar 27, 2016
Ireland
Crying here listening to this. Sending you a tight warm hug, LadyA. x

Happy Birthday, William. I hope you've preened your wings and are flying specially close with Lady A today :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Crying here listening to this. Sending you a tight warm hug, LadyA. x

Happy Birthday, William. I hope you've preened your wings and are flying specially close with Lady A today :)

Thanks, Molly. I heard that song on the radio for the first time a couple of weeks ago. In the car! And I ended up in floods of tears too.

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
I'm with Molly I'm sure William will be especially close Lady A as it's his special day. Hope today will be full of nice reminisces of happy times together. X

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m listening to it now, for the first time. Wonderful Lyrics.

William is being remembered on his birthday even by those who did not know him. :)

PS. It`s a special day for me too, the anniversary of the day Dhiren and I met in 1959.