Hello Im new.

x-lauren-x

Mar 6, 2007
Hiya Elle,
Sorry to hear about your aunt but its great how much you are both trying to help her. I was in exactly the same situation with my uncle, he lived an hour away from us and as i was still at school when he was first diagnosed it was a nightmare for me and my mum to visit and help him out. He also scored 23 out of 30 on the mental health test and for ages was passed off as being ok and able to make his own decisions- it was really fustrating for us because we could, like you see how much he wasnt coping but as he passed the test nobody seemed to agree. We have been through a fair few social workers , as my uncle has moved from home to hospital and now into a lovely care home nearer us- however if you can get the support from Social Services it will make a big difference- if you can find out who the social worker is and discuss with them how you feel- they will probably be able to give you more info on carers allowances etc too:)
Good luck with it all, and dont be worried about not coming on regularly- im the same as im doing exams at the moment but there is always someone about to chat to :D
glad you found us ,
lv
lauren xxx

Last edited:

elle2

Jun 7, 2008
cheshire
thanks lauren,
our situations sound very similar.I just dont see how a couple of people can access someone in a couple of hours, my husband was there and he said it was clear that she was struggerling, 23 out of 30 sure is a popular score:rolleyes: They have phoned her today and I havent a clue what was said but she was very upset by it all. Im going to get the number when ray gets home, she couldnt find it, and phone tomorrow and talk with them about it all. Id rather they spoke to us then we can gently explain what is happening, she seems to accept that more.
Ive started the diary, and Im logging all the phone calls and the days she doesnt leave the house etc. Its making a rather disturbing picture, but I know Im doing it for her own sake. ive also used that very helpful link to stop the sales calls. Ray told me she has changed her gas and electrics on a weekly basis, due to the free kettles etc they send out as sweetners for doing it...I worried that she'll run out of companies, sorry if I dont laugh Id cry!
No doubt more news tomorrow after Ive spoken to the mental health people.
Do have another question..theres a surprise! we have some very nice retirement places up our way, the thing Im not sure of is, do they take people with mental health issues??
once again, you all have been a lifeline
elle

elle2

Jun 7, 2008
cheshire
well Im cleaning the house from top to bottom for her visit this weekend and getting some lovely meals sorted. I spoke to her yesterday and shes very excited to be coming up, she doesnt remember she comes neally every weekend, bless her.
I did get in contact with a very nice lady with mental health who spent alot of time explaining what they might be able to do, and she organised a day for my aunt to be picked up and taken for lunch and further tests. As I havent been my usual jolly self on here, I though I might raise a smile with part of the conversation.... I happened to mention that my aunt had a major problem with dealing with anyone ethnic, this poor lady roared with laughter and said "Im a big black lady and proud of it!" I neally died, she was brilliant about it and said, she totally understood and it might be better to get someone else as my aunt might not let her into the house. I couldnt help myself, so I said "if you were gay, its a double yammy!" poor lady could speak for laughing. Thing is I have many gay friends and they are banned when she is up here. Im so ashamed of that side of things, but if you cant laugh about it then you'd cry.
So we are waitng for the MH to get back with another appointment, but from what I have heard so far, I feel like we are moving forward.
Thanks for listening off to hoover the cats!
love
elle

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa