So bizarre !

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Apologies for my absense - its been such a busy week!

Amy, I'm glad your weekend with OH's family wasn't hit by any major drama's - but even so, it doesn't sound entirely like a restful break. A lot of treading on eggshelss and a bit of anticipating difficulties, by the sound of it. As Slugsta says, your Mil has only herself to blame that some of her family don't visit as often as she feels they should. My Mum wailed loud and long (and to anyone who would listen) about how dreadful it was that all but one of her children chose not to have contact with her - but would never, ever see or admit that it was her own behaviour that brought about that situation. I'm glad that your OH felt better for seeing her, though, and think you are an absolute star for the way you did as much as you could to facilitate the visit and support him, especially considering the way one or two of them have treated you! And I hope that the rest of this weekend, with your family, continues to be a lovely break for you :) That's a big weight loss for your Mum - no wonder you are worried. I hope that the care home are able to help you come up with something that will tempt her xxxx

Spamar, so sorry you were poorly over the bank holiday weekend - the heat probably didn't help, though I have to say that although Saturday and Sunday were warm and muggyish here, we had quite a few showers - and on Monday we had rain more or less all day! I really hope you enjoy your singalong :D

Slugsta, whats happening with the kitchen cupboards? Under the circumstances, the fitter should have been there immediately and put things right - having all the cupboards fall off the walls isn't exactly a 'minor' issue, is it! I feel for you with your Mum and the difficulty about answering her when her questions are based in a reality you have no hope of understanding or knowing about - as you know, that sort of thing was (and still is, alot of the time) a big problem with Mil. I may have got better at answering off the cuff as time has gone on, but even so, I still get caught out on a regualr basis :rolleyes: I hope the meds can be changed to liquid without too much fuss, and that the 'twiddle cushion' helps ease the restlessness for her xxx

JM, hope the half term has brought you some respite from the teen tantrums. We've had a couple from dau, here, but it could have been worse. Between revision and the life-guard training she has been doing all week, she has been exhausted - her assessment for the life-guard qualification is this morning, I have everything crossed that she will pass with flying colours!

Been a busy week. Monday, being as the rain meant neither zoo nor run to the beach were possible, I spent on housework and shopping. I then spent two full days more or less chained to my work laptop and trying frantically to catch up with all my admin. I actually did loads, but am I caught up? Am I heck! On Tuesday I worked from 7.30 a.m. till 8.30 pm, on Wednesday from 7 till 3pm - at which point I decided to call a halt! I can only do so much, and I was exhausted.

Thursday, oldest dau was supposed to arrive for a 4 day visit, but on Wednesday night she called to say she wouldn't be coming. Her partners Grandad was in hospital, and things were not looking good - some sort of infection in his leg, and after 2 weeks in hospital, he was getting worse, not better, poor thing. Her OH is very close to his Grandad, and wouldn't leave (understandably) and dau felt she should stay close by - just in case. I was disappointed, but in her shoes, I would have done exactly the same thing, she needed to be there for him. Its culminated in the Grandad having surgery to amputate the leg yesterday morning. He has come through the surgery OK, so far - but he is elderly and the infection had really knocked him for six, so he isn't out of the woods yet. All we can do is hope, I guess.

So Thursday and yesterday, I mostly spent doing more editing on the wedding photographs for my sister (I know - it was several weeks ago, but I took over 3000 pictures!) and I also visited Mil, taking with me the shoes ordered from Clarkes, that arrived Thursday afternoon.

It was a visit that really rated highly on the 'Bizarre scale' - it was so very odd :( When I arrived, initially I got the off-hand and luke-warm 'hello' that I'm pretty used to. But seconds after that, its as though she looked properly at me, and I don't know who the 'Alison' is that she called me and evidently thought I was, but I got a very effusive greeting, with her grabbing my hand and getting tearful, because she was 'so glad' to see me. A minute or so later, she began to use my actual name - unusual these days, unless OH is around - but that is where it started to get a bit strange - and if I am honest, pretty uncomfortable :(

She started asking me to 'Hold me, just please hold me' - we are big ones for cuddles and hugs in our family, so that was fine - I scooted closer and gave her a big hug. But she held on with a grip like grim death and started repeating over and over 'Oh, I do love you, I love you so much, I've always loved you', and repeatedly planting kisses over every bit of me she could reach. I gently eased back - it was actually a bit over-whelming (no , scratch that - it was a lot overwhelming - she was like a flipping woodpecker, kiss-kiss-kiss-kiss-kiss, all over my face, hands, arms - even my neck and shoulders!) but she kept hold of my hand, and inbetween plea's to 'hold me, just please hold me' and declarations of how much she loved me, she kept lifting my hand to her face and kissing it, and up my arm, trying to pull me closer all the time. Then she let go of my hand and annouced she wanted to get up to go and get washed and dressed - she was washed and dressed, btw - and then tears because she couldn't get up. And that was really the theme of the whole visit. Begging me to hold her, kissing me repeatedly and trying to pull me close, repeated and fervent 'I love you's', very emotional, and that was interpersed with her suddenly wanting to 'go upstairs' to get washed and dressed - a male visitor walked passed and she even called out to him to 'Help me up, Mister - I want to get dressed' - then back to the kisses and the 'I love you so much'. I tried and tried to distract, but over and over she went back to the overly affectionate behaviour and having to go and get dressed loop.

After about 35 minutes, she suddenly added the fact that she was so glad that I had married her and was I glad too?. Talk about a conversation stopper :eek: How on earth do you respond to something like that? It did occur to me, fleetingly, that perhaps she meant she was glad I'd married her son - but he hadn't been mentioned at all, and to be honest - that wasn't the way it came across, given how she had been behaving with me. I mumbled something about loving her too, then started to make moves to leave - she wasn't dreadfully upset, no tears or big agitation, but she kept trying to get up to go with me, because she said 'Its time I went too'. A couple of staff came over and tried to distract, and Mil went back into the 'I do love you' loop with me - the staff responded with an 'Awwwww' at first, but then as Mil carried on, so insistant, even they looked a bit taken aback. I made some sort of jokey comment, and got away - but then I made a point of seeking out the nurse that was on duty and asking could they perhaps do a urine test, as the only thing I can think of is that Mil is perhaps starting with another UTI, and maybe that would explain the way she was acting with me? Whatever the reason, I hope I don't encounter that sort of reaction again. I thought I was pretty much prepared for any sort of behaviour, given Mil's track record - but that was just - well - bizarre beyond belief :(

Today, Dau has her Life Guard assessment, so I have to drive her to that, and pick her up afterwards. I haven't touched the house since Monday, so that's next on the list - followed by (I hope) a few hours getting stuck into the family tree research. I've put in the odd hour in the evenings, over this last week, and its becoming an all-consuming addiction, lol. I've managed to take 2 or 3 branches of the family back to the late 1700's - but there are some gaps - and some family mysteries and stories that have come to light, that I am itching to try and solve. My Grandad (mum's dad) according to family lore, 'abandoned his family' and disappeared in the 1940's - and I cannot find anything to give me a clue about where he ended up, or when he died, so that's one mystery. Then there is 'Uncle Jack' - who I knew was very much the black sheep of the family - and his tangled love life and family life! I've turned up his first wife and two sons (who I didn't know existed) , found out the full name of the lady I knew as 'Aunty Pat' (who was actually Jack's daughter from another relationship, but brought up by my Gran) - but can't track down the Aunty Lily and the two female cousins who I thought were his wife and children - I remember actually visiting them, but can find no official records. And there's the mystery of how he lost one of his eyes - two different family anecdotes, but which one is correct? And a newly emerged tale of him going AWOL from the army when he was stationed in Malta during the war. Jack was most definitely a character! Its all very engrossing - and frustrating! So many relatives christened one name, but known by another, causing issues with finding them on the different census' - and mistakes in the transcriptions from the original hand-written records to the typed versions available on-line. I spent ages looking for my Great, great Aunt 'Hoance' (very odd, but I've found several 'odd' names, so accepted it) - she turned out to actually be 'Florence'. Found strong links to Scotland, a hint of possible Jewish ancestors and have been trying to find out which great x 3 (or is it 4?) aunt or uncle was actually the parent of the children listed as living with their grandmother on the 1901 census - its all so fascinating. And I've also started on OH's side of the family - which is extremely hard going, because if I thought the UK records were bad, they are nothing by comparison to the Irish records . . .

Right - better get moving. Hope you all have a nice and peaceful weekend, much love to all xxxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I'm breathless! Just reading about all your happenings! I've just had to stop putting a load of mugs back into their cupboard!
Can't make head or tail of mil, maybe she thought you were her husband? Or perhaps mother? I have no idea what I would have done in a similar situation. That didn't happen, mother had a massive stroke from which she didn't survive. Sometimes I think it's an 'easy' way out. A shock for her sister who was with her, though. They had gone out to post a letter, the box was just up the hill. I knew from the first time that a place on that hill was wrong ( she had had high bp for years).

Sorry, wittering again!

My neighbour is an avid family history lady and her mothers family come from Ireland, so I've heard all about the problems! Missing records, lost when the record office was destroyed, and the habit of same names within the family were two of her bugbears!

In my family, it's children dying young that no one of my generation seems to have known about! And then naming a later child after the one that died! Though she was one of twins, which presumably they didn't find out until she was born?!

Text message just come to say my JL order now at Waitrose for collection. Great system! So shopping later ( need to go anyway).

Hope Miss Mac does well today, I'm sure she will!
Slugsta, have you got the units sorted yet? And we're the cupboards full when they collapsed? I was just thinking of the stuff in my kitchen cupboards!

Amy, have a great weekend with your family, JM enjoy your cycling!

I'm still struggling without the app! Keep switching to the mobile arrangement, then getting confused!

Have a good day, all. Lovely weather here though had rain, thunder and lightening all yesterday evening and a lot of the night

Cheers!

Last edited:

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Oh, Ann, you are right. That visit was off the charts for bizarre and I'm just as bewildered as you are. MIL's dementia demons are particularly challenging and difficult. How awful. I'm so sorry.

I hope Miss Mac's lifeguarding test goes well, and that you enjoy some time with the wedding photos and the family history.

Love to all!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

Ann, I am also in agreement with your judgement of the visit as being bizarre! I completely appreciate that it must have been very uncomfortable for you. I wonder what was going on in MIL's poor, scrambled brain? :(

I hope your youngest did well with her lifeguard exam? How are the school exams going?

How disappointing that your oldest wasn't able to visit. Of course, you understand about her OH's granddad but I don't expect that helps the your disappointment :( I do hope that granddad does well following his op.

Ann, I'm very glad that you have been able to spend some happy time with your own family. I hope that your visit to your mum went well.

Spamar, I do think this warm, humid weather is very draining and hope you are feeling somewhat better now that it has cooled down a little (((hugs)))

JM, I hope the half term gave you some respite from teenager tantrums - and also hope that you have got rid of the lurgy and are feeling better.

No word yet about our kitchen, other than a message from the fitter on Wednesday saying he would 'put it right'. Unless we have heard something concrete by close of play tomorrow, we are minded to send a 'letter before action'. Trading Standards don't seem to deal with individuals these days, they direct you to CAB. CABs have lost so much funding that one is doing well to even get a phone call answered!

Mum was quite sleepy today, although she did wake up for some cake. Her hands were quite restless, even when she was asleep. Not quite 'twiddling' as it seemed very aimless, more as if it was involuntary.

Awful events in London again :mad: Hubby was up early this morning and told me when I woke up. My first thought was to contact our son and make sure he was OK - I opened my phone to find a message from him, saying exactly that. So relieved - but my heart breaks for those who were not so lucky :(

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Hi all - I'm reading, Tue to Saturday have been OK this week as half term (ie exam stress didn't calm down until after a massive explosion on Monday, and then restarted today). Not really feeling up to posting much about it, but suspect she has dropped grades in at least 2 subjects by being stressed so not doing exams properly. All over on 16 June at least. I am a bit of a wreck and really not sleeping well or up to being in work with lack of sleep.

I have got out on my bike a bit, but think was hit quite hard by lurgy.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
JM, I suspect 16 June cannot come quickly enough for you and your family.

I had a nice visit with my aunt and uncle and cousin. Much less stressful and more fun than my in-laws!

OH and I saw my mother yesterday. She was just okay. She was happy to see us but was in some pain or discomfort that she couldn't really articulate; I suspect it's the infection and/or the new antibiotic making her tired and generally unwell.

She's supposed to see the orthopedic surgeon on Wednesday and I will likely cancel this appointment as well. She has little energy and it seems unkind to take her out for something that will confuse and tire her. I think I may need to talk to the doctor and see if we can let this check up go, until the infection is cleared.

I'm sorry to say her room smelled (of feces), although she and her clothing were clean. There were some stains on the carpet and I can guess what they are from. I understand it's a difficult job to keep things clean, they are working hard at it, and I'm not upset, but I could wish it were otherwise. I am considering asking them to have the carpet cleaned.

I got a call to say, due to the long term nature of the C diff infection, my mother has been referred for some extra monitoring and services. I will talk to the person in charge this week and hope this means I will have a contact person for issues such as the weight loss and so forth. I am hoping this will be helpful and I did consent to this.

She is always more cheerful during visits when OH is there, but she clearly just wasn't feeling great yesterday. I'm actually not sure she knew who we were at first. And she definitely can no longer find/recognize her bathroom. (Why they didn't design these rooms with direct sight lines to the bathroom, I will never know.). We took her some of her favorite biscuits and will see if she eats them.

I really hate dementia.

I also hate the news from London.

Sending all of you good wishes, and counting down the days until exams are FINISHED!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Spamar, when we see what our L.O's go through with dementia, its hard not to consider a swifter end the 'easier' route. I know that's the way I am inclined to think, when I see Mil at her worst and think of what she is going through :(

I think the biggest issue for me, with the UK records, is that there are a huge number of mistakes in trascription from the orginal hand-written records to the typed versions that you get on-line. My Grandfathers name has appeared as both Mac and Slock (it was actually Slack) over several records, I've found. A Martha Blanche became a Bertha Blanche, and a great Grandmother who's name was Thirza (apparently a popular choice in the mid 1800's) has been typed up as Thirze, Thurza, Thorza, Thursa, and Thirsa. With Irish records, its that so many just don't seem to exist - I have a copy of Mil's birth and wedding certificates - though, typically Irish, her name differs from one to the other - but not a trace on-line of either. Same for several others on the Irish side - but, I keep plodding on!

I think the kitchen fitters response is appalling, Slugsta! No excuse - after a calamity like that, he should have dropped everything and been round to put it right. I hope you don't have to resort to the 'letter before action', but if you do, I hope that it at least brings a swift response!

JM - only 10 days now! Stay strong. The lurgy can't have been helping in coping with this horrible time, so I hope that you are finally starting to feel better. We had a mega melt down here on Saturday - more of that later!

Amy, great to read that you had a lovely few days with your family - but sad to read that your poor Mum is still so unwell with the C Diff :( I'm glad she had been referred on for extra monitoring and services, and I have everything crossed that this is helpful to her, and you xxx

Dau passed her Life Guard assessment with flying colours - she is now a fully qualified life guard, certified by the National Life Guard Association, and - if only the relevant office gets itself in gear and sends her NI number, which has yet to arrive even though she is now 16 - was thrilled because she had been told that was a part time job waiting for her with the local leaisure centre, if she passed :) I was so proud of her, and put up a post on social media saying so - which led to the mega-melt down. She was fine, absolutely bubbling in fact, when I picked her up, I mentioned the post and no big issue - until she dropped off her pass confirmation at the local leisure centre, and they told her that despite different info being given on line, no she can't start work until they have her NI number. And that was it. Suddenly I was a horrible person for daring to post about her passing - she wanted to tell people herself. Which I would have accepted, had she not been totally OK about it until she got the knock back because of the NI number :rolleyes: Having run around all week, being chauffeur, not even asking her to wash as much as a plate because I knew she had a lot on, and generally doing everything I could to supprt her, I also went into melt down - and a large row ensued. Flipping teens!

OH developed a stomach bug of some sort on Friday, so we stayed away from Mil this weekend, as it wasn't until yesterday afternoon that he stopped feeling pretty rough. Got everything crossed that neither dau nor I start with it, as she has exams and I have a full-on week of work ahead.

Yesterday afternoon, I spotted in the shed a couple of large boxes which contained sundry bits and bobs from Mils house - OH had gone through carrier bags of stuff, taken out anything vitally important, and the rest he had put into large storage boxes, when we were emptying her house. On a whim, I decided to go through them properly - and to my delight, found about 30 photographs from Mil's wedding, as well as perhaps 40 or 50 more old photographs. They were tucked inside old envelopes, carrier bags, inside books and inside things like Fil's old membership cards for various clubs and organisations he belonged to. I was gobsmacked - I didn't even know that these pictures existed and it was only when I showed OH that he suddenly recalled maybe seeing some of the photographs, back when he was mayber 10 or 12 - he hadn't given them a thought since. He was able to identify some of the people in the other photographs - but not all, sadly. So, I've scanned a lot of the photographs and printed them for Mil, and today, when I finish work, I'm going to go pick up a small album and head down to Mil, with the copies, and see if she will enjoy putting together an albu for herself. I don't have my hopes raised too far, but I am wondering if she can identify some of the unknown subjects on the pictures too - you never know, do you?

I also found things like the fob watch presented to her Father when he retired in 1973, medals that I think belonged to her brother, who was in the UN Peace Corps, and some really old newspapers and cuttings. Some are obits that may shed some light on her family, some are clippings of things like a photograph of OH, published by a local newspaper, with his dog ( that particular pet he can't even remember, he was so young!), and so many other things, including a huge number of what I think are love letters between her and Fil. Mil should have them with her, my heart says - but my head says that they wouldn't be safe and that the sensible thing to do is keep them for her Grandchildren. Head's winning at the moment - I just hope that's the right thing to do.

Right - time to move! I have 4 projects this week, and still the admin to get on with, so if I am not about for 3 or 4 days, you all know why!

Much love to all xxxx

Last edited:

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Oh, no, Ann another teenager meltdown. Bleah!

But tantrum aside, such good news that Miss Mac passed the lifeguard exam, is qualified, and has a job offer. I hope the paperwork can be sorted soon.

I am delighted to hear you discovered some treasures of family photos and memorabilia, and think the photo album is a good idea. You never know.

I wouldn't take the original letters anywhere, Ann. If you must, scan or copy them and take her copies (although I'm not even sure about that), but keep the originals safe with you. You would hate to lose these papers you only just found.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
No, don't let go of the originals! Scan or copy!
Pleased for Miss Mac test result, not pleased at another tantrum! Roll on end of exams! Been visited by Di 65 for a day or so. Talk, we can talk for England and NZ but had a great time showing her some of the local rivers, beaches and beauty spots, though there's enough around here to keep one going for a month!
Went out for a really nice meal last night, we were nearly the last out of the restaurant!
So a really nice change for me! Don't get to go out for many meals.
It was a fine day, not so hot as yesterday, though the wind is getting up now and there is rain forecast for tomorrow. Boo!

Keep well, one and all!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
NI number should have come some time ago - dau got hers a while before her birthday

I suggest if you haven't already you follow it up - the link to the number is is at the bottom of the link

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

On reading around, if you can prove you are eligible to work in UK they can employ you without one, but you will need to prove it, passport with place of birth might do - but suggest you need to ask them

Fines for not having correct details are fairly punitive now so they do have to get it right unfortunately.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

Congratulations to young Miss Mac for passing her lifeguard's exam! But a large 'demerit' for the meltdown :mad:

Ann, how lovely to have found the photos and letters! I do agree that the originals should be kept safe, even if you do decide to show MIL copies. I hope you don't have any further uncomfortable visits like the last one :(

Jm, I'm sorry that you are still on the receiving end of meltdowns too :(:( I'm sure it is the last thing you need when you are still not feeling well (((hugs)))

Spamar, how lovely to have had a reason to visit the local tourist areas and to go out for a nice meal I do hope you are feeling gnerally better?

No further word about the kitchen :mad: I think hubby is going to contact both the fitter and supplier tomorrow. The units have now been on our hall floor for longer than they hung on the wall.

After last week's 'heat wave', the weather has been pretty vile here today - raining heavily and blowing a hoolie. Flaming June indeed!

However, given the events in Manchester and London recently, I really have lots to for which to be thankful!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi, I was absolutely shattered last night, went to bed early and slept like a log! Di65 was delayed, they had to remove a disruptive passenger from the train! That took 20 minutes! We are already planning our next meet up, it'll be my turn to go to NZ!
It started raining yesterday evening and was forecast to go through today, though not raining ATM. The lawn is covered with shredded oak leaves, as it's quite windy as well. Meant to plant rest of bedding plants today, maybe tomorrow will be better!
Sorry, ladies, about teenage strops, not long now!
Slugsta, the fitter needs shooting! How are you meant to cope?
Right, must go and see if the gardener has turned up. If he's sensible ( he usually isn't) he's found a nice indoor job!
Have a good day!

Kerstin

Jun 6, 2017
Oh dear that is horrifying.

Mum now thinks I have killed my children. She is happily trying to fit the date of my mass murder into her time line. :eek:
Now that is scary. Maybe the tv was on the Lifetime Channel or another program & then she saw you & couldn't discern the difference.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
The good news is that oldest step grand dau has passed her driving test. She is thrilled, of course! She even phoned me! Rules have been made, only one friend in the car for a month, break the rule, time doubled! She's sensible, but excitable!
Now it's her cousins turn!
Very windy here, leaves and twigs all over the place, plus a fully in flower rose head found outside the kitchen window!
See you later!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Congrats to step granddaughter - sounds like you had a good time with Di65.

Son has gone on a school residential activities trip for 3 days on the Menai Straits in Anglesey. When dau was in the same year (same school then) she went on the same trip in Dec and they managed to move their 'slot' to June as the weather should be better, I think he is due to get worse weather than she did. There are 160 going with 60 who wanted to go and didn't get their forms back quick enough (about 270 in the year I think).

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Weather looks better there, JM, just had a quick look at Menai Bridge, not much wind and sunny. We've still got a howling gale and sun is trying to shine, though not very successfully.
Gardener did come this morning, not yesterday cos it was tipping down all day! But he came at 8 rather than 7. Now busy mowing! He likes that, I've got a ride-on! He has put the last of the bedding plants in as I can't really do it these days. My contribution was about a sq. yd of weeding! So many weeds under the tree like I've never seen before, and practically all of them about to flower or flowering. Everything else has grown like you would never believe with all the rain we've had!
I have a very small pond for the birds, mostly. We've let it go dry cos need to put in a new pump. Now it's full up of water!
I shall go out shopping later and get some petrol, the car is on a wing and a prayer petrol-wise!
Have a good day, JM and everyone else!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

I'm having a sleepless night, so thought I would come and see what is going on here. I don't worry about the odd night of poor sleep now that I am not workiong, I can snooze during the day if I need to.

Spamar, congratulations to your step-granddaughter on passing her driving test! It really is a big step towards adulthood and independence but it certainly gives rise to a fair amount of parental (step-grandparental) anxiety at first. Our son was not interested in learning the minute he hit 17, so at least he was a bit more mature by the time he got round to it.

Jm, I hope your son has a good time and the weather is reasonable for them. I also hope that you are feeling better (((hugs)))

Ann, Amy et al, I hope that everyone is well and their loved ones are as happy as possible.

Today/yesterday was a bit busier than usual for us with a few jobs to be done as well as visiting Mum. We went in the morning as hubby had an optician appointment at 2pm and we had to be home for a Tesco delivery between 4 -5. Mum was fast asleep, could hardly open her eyes when I, gently, tried to wake her, so we didn't stay long. My inclination is to stay quiet if she is asleep when we go but hubby, quite rightly, says that she enjoys our visits and has the rest of the day to sleep - but today we didn't really have much choice.

The weather here was better today, although still very mixed. It rained a bit this evening, good job my lift brought me all the way home after choir as I had rushed out without a coat. Yes, you are right - choir evening is usually Tuesday but we had an extra this week ahead of a gig on Saturday.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

I think I would be like you, Slugsta, and be inclined to let your Mum sleep - though I can see your OH's point too. Part of me is sad for you that your Mum is now so sleepy all the time, part of me is glad for her sake that she seems to be, mainly, so peaceful.

What is happening with the kitchen? I hope that the fitter has actually started to put everything right? Or are you having to now take things further to get it all sorted?

Spamar, I'm glad you have had such a lovely time with your friend - another trip to NZ coming up? Fabulous :) Congrats to step-granddaughter on passing her driving test - and good luck to her cousin!

JM, hope your son has enjoyed his trip - and I hope the weather has been a lot better for him than it has for us in this particular part of North Wales - we've had torrential rain and heavy winds since the weekend!

Hiya Kerstin, and welcome to TP - its sometimes so hard to know what fuels the delusions in our loved ones . As you say, it could well be a TV programme - we ended up 'banning' so many of them when my Mil lived here, as you never know when something she saw on one of the soaps or in a film would become woven into her reality, sometimes with extremly upsetting results :(

Hi Amy - hope all is OK with you? Have the tummy troubles eased at all for your Mum, yet?

As predicted, I've had a really busy 4 days - and despite all my good intentions, I am going to have to do some work today as well. Its simply because its coming to the end of term for my colleges, and with 4 projects on the go, a lot has now to be packed into a relatively short space of time. The end of next week see's the end of term for my groups, at which point I should be able to (finally) catch up with the admin - which will be a massive relief!

On Monday, I took my lunch break rather late in the day, and went to visit Mil, taking with me scanned copies of all her wedding photographs, and a selection of other images, plus a small bag of other photographs that I had found - just to see if she could confirm the identity of the people in them. I honestly didn't know how she would react. I was prepared with a book for her to put the photo's in, if she was happy to do so - but equally, I was prepared for a hasty exit, should anything about them upset her. You just never know which way it will go, do you? And after the last visit, I was more than a bit apprehensive, tbh.

She was dozing in a chair when I arrived, but woke smiling and was quite happy to move to a nearby table with me. The first photograph I showed her was one of Fil, taken when he was about 20, a proper studio shot by the looks of it. Well - I was nearly in tears! Her eyes lit up as she stared at the picture and exclaimed - 'Oh - thats my Tucker' (Fil's nick-name) and planted a big kiss on the image. She was delighted - it was so nice to see :D I then showed her a similar portrait style shot of herself - 'Oh', she said 'I was only 18 when that was taken!'. Looking at the image, I'd say there's a good chance she was spot on about that.

Then I produced the wedding photographs - with barely any prompting, she identified all 3 of her brothers, her mother and even told me the name of her bridesmaid. She correctly named the catherdral she and Fil had been married in, and correctly identified Fil's parents - no hesitation at all. She gave names to 2 or 3 other people as well - mainly friends and neighbours. But, there was a lady in a few of the photographs, who I had also spotted in an image taken with Mil's mum, which wasn't part of the wedding set. Mil - in all the images this lady appeared in - informed me that this lady was her Grandmother, Margaret! We got tears - but only a few, and happy ones - at one image I had found and showed her - I thought it was probably her Dad in the picture, but wasn't sure who the child was with him. Mil straight away confirmed it was her Father - and that the little child was herself. I actually was able to stay with her for around an hour and a half, and it was only after that time that she started to mention 'home' - so I made my goodbyes and left Mil sat there, quite happy, clutching the picture of Tucker and some of the wedding photographs.

Although she had correctly identified her brothers, Mum, Dad and in-laws (and I knew they were correct because OH had also recognised them) with some of the other people, I obviously can't be sure how accurate she was - but boy, there was absolutely no hesitation on her part when she was able to put a name to a face, though I didn't know with some how I would ever be able to confirm it. Especially as youngest, who had a two hour break between exams, decided to pop in to see her Nan yesterday. To try and entertain Mil, dau showed her some photographs of herself, and my other two kids, on her phone. Mil - with apparent absolute certainty - identified all three as being from 'Coronation Street' (that's a long running T.V. soap opera, for Amy's benefit) ! Which was a sharp reminder that I really can't rely on any info Mil gives me :(

However, although because of work, I've had little time to continue any research, and the odd hour I had been able to spend trying to trace records for Mil's family via the website I've joined had proved to be pretty fruitless. I'd found a marriage record for her parents, a birth record for one of her brothers and a marriage record for another - but that was it. So, I had a brain waggle and I decided to try social media, joining a facebook group about Limerick and its history. I explained that I was trying to research a family tree and also get information to put together a 'memory book' for my Mum in law. The response - quite literally within minutes - was amazing! Such lovely, warm people. In answer to questions, I mentioned the name Mil had given for her bridesmaid - and to my astonishment, it turns out that this lady is still alive - and still lives in the same street that Mil grew up in! Her Granddaughter is a member of the group. How fantastic is that! Another person has a good friend who worked Limerick docks all his life and knows a lot about them - Mil's dad worked Limerick Docks all his life too, and two of Mil's brothers also worked there - so this chap is going to make enquiries for me there; Another lady - a year older than Mil - attended the same school and is going to speak to others she knows to get more info. All of a sudden, a whole new source of info has opened up! And how lovely of all these people to be so helpful!

I'd also contacted some of the Irish branch - husbands cousins - to see if they could get me any info. I hadn't a whole lot of hope on that one, as I'd been told already that they had little in the way of photographs, and that with only one of Mil's brothers still living, and his memory being poor, they didn't think they would be able to find out much at all - but last night, one of them messaged me with a ruck of info on his Dad, so I now have several new routes to follow there, too :)

So - a hectic week, between work and a little family ancestry research thrown in. The plan today is to get stuck into doing some essential bits and bobs for work, ready for my last week at the college, tidy up this bombsite of a house (I've honestly barely done anything this week!), visit Mil - and spend the evening on research.

I'll leave you with a photograph of 18 year old Mil - her resemblence to my son in this is almost uncanny, actually! Wasn't she pretty ?

Much love to all xxxx

Attachments

• Joan O'Connor (McGrane) aged 18.jpg
    Joan O'Connor (McGrane) aged 18.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 365

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Yes, she was pretty, very pretty! I'm glad you've got so much info Ann. I must see if my neighbour has tried FB, I expect so, I know she's on it, but I will remind her!
I've got some photos of mothers family and the thing that struck me was how interesting their clothes were, embroidery used a lot! And how pretty the two oldest girls were! Was it the era, do you think?
I, plus friend, duly made fools of ourselves yesterday with our singing! We had to repeat one of them! By popular demand, I may add. I did it without using even one stick! Now I'm paying for it. Can hardly walk this morning! That's why I tend not to do much, cos I know that next day I will suffer. I think a cup of coffee at fav cafe is in order.
Have a good day, everyone! Slugsta, can't you get you kitchen fitters moving.. or are they waiting for insurance company to say yes?
Cheers!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Squishy hugs to one and all

I lurk.... I think of you all and read often but don't always have words of support sorry

Ann - I've been doing family research for over 20 years. Have lots of web site ideas, one of which is have you tried FreeBmd (I will admit to an interest as I used to do voluntary transcribing for them) when I was transcribing, even though I thought the name was spelt wrong, It was impressed on me that I had to transcribe what I read, not what I thought it should be.

On another site I transcribed for, My spreadsheets sent to another transcriber and they would check what I had done (and I would check another transcribers work) I would always try to use the notes part to clarify what I thought the entry was... but notes part are not in the search so probably useless

I found one of my somerset ancestors in birmingham after a long hunt of 1880's census because of the spelling of where he was born. To a birmingham person in the 1880 I guess wickanton is heard rather than in a somerset dialect, his actual place of birth of Wincanton :)

I always loved mysteries so I guess family research has fulfilled the detective in me :)

Teenage strops.... enough said.....but squishy hugs to you and juggles

Kitchen units !! Words fail me !! xxxx

1jay not a well person physically but we keep plodding on. Only one abroad holiday planned this year and thats driving to France for a week and, health allowing, a drive through Spain for a week. It seems no more flying anymore as it almost guarantees we get to spend time in hotel medical centre for the holiday :(

Sorry to hijack xxx

Last edited: