Need some advice please

Primrosevilla

Mar 16, 2015
Greater london/Essex
My husband is showing some strange behaviour, I don't know if it is dementia related or if there is something medical afoot.
He feels chilled and wants a blanket (or even two) and demands I take his temperature as he feels he has a chill. He is not running a temperature, I do check it several times, and even give him a heat blanket (this does not seem to help). After an hour or two he is back to normal as if the event never occurred. This can be a daily, we go through a few days when it happens and then nothing, then it happens again. It happens mid afternoon and can go on till early evening. Think we are on stage 3/4 of Dementia.
I have a video of him during one of these 'episodes' if I can post it someplace. Any ideas what is happening? He is 89 and fit and healthy and drinks and eats well.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Hi Primrosevilla,

This is quite common behaviour with dementia. Much like with a newborn, the body finds it hard to adjust to temperatures when the person has dementia and the result is that they feel extremes of cold and heat even when the temperature is quite moderate.

You are doing the sensible thing by checking to make sure that he is not running a temperature, and you are keeping him comfortable by supplying the extra layers or heating pad.

I don't have any other advice really, other than keep on checking for a fever or UTI.

Posting a video of it would infringe on his privacy issues but it might be worth keeping it to show to his GP at any subsequent appointment if it continues to be a concern.

Good luck and I hope things settle down soon. My husband suffers in the same way from time to time but it tends to come and go in phases.

Last edited:

Primrosevilla

Mar 16, 2015
Greater london/Essex
Thankyou, that is so reassuring. I hate to go to the DR when nothing physical is wrong. Sometimes I put him to bed as he requests but later cannot understand why he is there. So I make him comfortable in his chair and just keep an eye on him till it passes.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Primrosevilla
I agree with LynneMcV; this sounds to be one of the dementia symptoms my dad displays sometimes, just not knowing what temperature his body is at
I do, though, think it's worth mentioning to your husband's GP as it helps the medics if they are kept aware of any changes you notice, and just in case there is something not quite right - if you don't want to make an appointment, why not e-mail or drop a written note into the surgery so the GP can read at their leisure and get back to you if there are any concerns
best not to post a video here - maybe tell the GP you have it and will show them if they ask to see it
best wishes

Primrosevilla

Mar 16, 2015
Greater london/Essex
Thankyou for your response, I am concerned, but unless I can show a real medical issue I can put my finger on I don't feel the DR can do anything, I have tried.
Further to my first post I will add a few more details so you see the full picture.
It starts with uncontrollable teeth chattering and a confused look followed by the grabbing of the nearest blanket and it progresses from there.
The brain just seems to be playing tricks with him. He does not have a history of fits so have ruled that out. He is type 2 diabetic so thought his blood sugar was too low (did say this to the DR but because he is not insulin dependant, this was unlikely. But I have started giving him a handful of jellybeans as a treat.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I can't speak re possible symptoms linked to diabetes as I haven't had to deal with those issues before. However, I can confirm that the violent teeth chattering is definitely part and parcel of things when my husband experiences these phases.

It's not just the teeth chattering either, his body shakes as if shivering from severe cold and to all intents and purposes you'd think he was out in a blizzard with summer clothing on instead of standing in a nice warm house wearing adequate clothing.

It's not just a question of him saying that he is cold - the physical reaction is a huge part of it - accept that if you touch him he is normal temperature.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou for your response, I am concerned, but unless I can show a real medical issue I can put my finger on I don't feel the DR can do anything, I have tried.
Further to my first post I will add a few more details so you see the full picture.
It starts with uncontrollable teeth chattering and a confused look followed by the grabbing of the nearest blanket and it progresses from there.
The brain just seems to be playing tricks with him. He does not have a history of fits so have ruled that out. He is type 2 diabetic so thought his blood sugar was too low (did say this to the DR but because he is not insulin dependant, this was unlikely. But I have started giving him a handful of jellybeans as a treat.

Dear Primrose,

I agree with everyone else although on Friday Dad said he was spinning so because he is diabetic I gave him a cup of tea and biscuits because at first I thought it could be his diabetes. However it was later that I realised he was talking about his hayfever! I reassured him about his hayfever because I have this as well and it was yesterday that I realised that his hayfever has an affect on his alzheimers behaviour. Therefore I, like you as a carer, ended up suffering as well.

Can I suggest strawberries as a treat Dad loves these and I could use them to deter (if that's possible) him from buying chocolate!

Love

MaNaAk

Primrosevilla

Mar 16, 2015
Greater london/Essex
Thankyou Lynne McV
Yes, this is how my husband is, along with the rapid tapping of his fingers on the arms of the chair.
I find your comments reassuring as no matter how much I read up on this dreadful disease, nowhere could I find any reference to the symptoms I have described.
All I can do is to keep him safe and happy.

I can't speak re possible symptoms linked to diabetes as I haven't had to deal with those issues before. However, I can confirm that the violent teeth chattering is definitely part and parcel of things when my husband experiences these phases.

It's not just the teeth chattering either, his body shakes as if shivering from severe cold and to all intents and purposes you'd think he was out in a blizzard with summer clothing on instead of standing in a nice warm house wearing adequate clothing.

It's not just a question of him saying that he is cold - the physical reaction is a huge part of it - accept that if you touch him he is normal temperature.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R