Just trying to make sense of developments

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I don't know if anyone can advise or help with any of this and it may not even be directly related to Dementia.
Mostly it's positive at the moment with C settling into her new day centre and actually enjoying it. New supported housing is good and we are happily settling in here too.
What worries me is that she has had two water infections in about a month. She has had a very bad heat rash over the weekend which is thankfully healing quickly. Now the personal care worker is worried about one foot being warmer than the other and there seems to be more blood in the urine which may or may not be an infection. IT comes and goes and last time there was an infection, but not the time before. The Hospital gave her a scan a found nothing in February.
Please tell me I'm being neurotic or over reacting to a few bad signs of old age or something. It's just that C went into hospital 4 years ago after a run of water infections and her dementia got worse afterwards. I'll call the doctor in the morning just for a chat, but wanted to get it all down somewhere I can read it and update as the summer goes on.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello nae sporran

I can only offer a personal opinion which may hold no real medical weight. I always wondered how the progression of dementia affected the functioning of all internal organs and the metabolism of the whole body.

It's difficult to rationalise whether an increase in the frequency of infections or an imbalance of body function or circulation is the result of poorly managed care or progression of the dementia.

I don't think even the doctors can make a really accurate assessment.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
I'm sorry to hear Christel - and you, are having a difficult time Rob. Sadly the reality is we never know, but always live with an awful uncertainty that any problems may be a sign of deterioration. Often the tricky times pass with no obvious downturn, and I hope this is the case currently.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm sorry to hear that you're concerned about Christel. I hope you get somewhere with the GP today.

I think it's a good idea to have this thread. I always found it useful to look back on what I recorded in Bill's thread. It keeps all your thoughts and people's responses in one place.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my thoughts everyone.
Hopefully it is just a bad run as Es says. I don't think we are anywhere near a situation where swallowing will go or anything too serious, but was concerned that dementia is affecting the circulation or other parts of the body.
I will record a few other bits and pieces over the summer and see where it all leads, thanks Izzy.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my thoughts everyone.
Hopefully it is just a bad run as Es says. I don't think we are anywhere near a situation where swallowing will go or anything too serious, but was concerned that dementia is affecting the circulation or other parts of the body.
I will record a few other bits and pieces over the summer and see where it all leads, thanks Izzy.

It's such a difficult one Rob , wish I knew the answer myself. Always thought Johns dementia was pretty stable however his general health is not that good . His COPD has worsened considerably after the double pneumonia and he has gall bladder problems and a colonoscopy this sat . Thinking about what everybody said, puts a total different spiel on it. Hoping it will settle down for Christl soon .

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
It's such a difficult one Rob , wish I knew the answer myself. Always thought Johns dementia was pretty stable however his general health is not that good . His COPD has worsened considerably after the double pneumonia and he has gall bladder problems and a colonoscopy this sat . Thinking about what everybody said, puts a total different spiel on it. Hoping it will settle down for Christl soon .

Sorry John is getting worse Chick, maybe our problems are not that bad. Good luck with the colonoscopy.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Sorry John is getting worse Chick, maybe our problems are not that bad. Good luck with the colonoscopy.

It's alright Rob, we are dealing with it :) maybe his general health and the D are connected somehow . We can only do our best for our loved ones and just live with the worries somehow . Hope Christl feels better soon :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Sorry John`s physical health is causing worry too Heike. I hope he copes with the colonoscopy.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Sorry John`s physical health is causing worry too Heike. I hope he copes with the colonoscopy.

Me too as he has to drink lots of water on Friday with the stuff to empty him and no food whatsoever after 1pm on Friday. His appointment on sat is not until 225pm so more then 24 hours without food. Not sure how he will cope but we can but try xxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Me too as he has to drink lots of water on Friday with the stuff to empty him and no food whatsoever after 1pm on Friday. His appointment on sat is not until 225pm so more then 24 hours without food. Not sure how he will cope but we can but try xxx

That`s a tall order for anyone, let alone someone with dementia. Is there no way allowances can be made?

Dhiren was a day patient for the removal of a mole. He was becoming restless during a long wait and I had a word with the nurses and he was put to the front of the queue.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
I will try when we get there to get him seen straight away . Wish we could avoid this procedure but the tumour markers were quite high so it's a must . Hopefully we muddle through somehow . Thank you Sylvia xxxx

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol

That will be hard Heike. Hope the nurses are understanding and helpful.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Rash has actually almost gone, swelling is going down. Just that bit of blood to talk to GP about, but feeling better for clearing my head. Thanks again everyone.

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
Rash has actually almost gone, swelling is going down. Just that bit of blood to talk to GP about, but feeling better for clearing my head. Thanks again everyone.

Glad the rash has almost gone Rob, it's such a worry being responsible for someone else's health, glad you were able to clear your head a bit. Sandi

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London

Heike, so sorry to hear that John is having so many problems with his health such a worry for you both, that is an awful long time without food don't know if I could manage it.
Hugs Sandi xxxxx

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thanks Sandi.

Have called the doctor, but have to wait until next Monday for a call back to talk about it. Also have Dementia Navigator coming tomorrow. :)

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
I don't know if anyone can advise or help with any of this and it may not even be directly related to Dementia.
Mostly it's positive at the moment with C settling into her new day centre and actually enjoying it. New supported housing is good and we are happily settling in here too.
What worries me is that she has had two water infections in about a month. She has had a very bad heat rash over the weekend which is thankfully healing quickly. Now the personal care worker is worried about one foot being warmer than the other and there seems to be more blood in the urine which may or may not be an infection. IT comes and goes and last time there was an infection, but not the time before. The Hospital gave her a scan a found nothing in February.
Please tell me I'm being neurotic or over reacting to a few bad signs of old age or something. It's just that C went into hospital 4 years ago after a run of water infections and her dementia got worse afterwards. I'll call the doctor in the morning just for a chat, but wanted to get it all down somewhere I can read it and update as the summer goes on.

Hi Rob. Just popped in and saw you thread. Sorry Chrystal has a few problems. I wonder if she has Cystitis or Pilatus. that's a water infection one of which, has blood in the urine.
I would phone the emergency surgery and speak to someone before next Monday. That's such a long time to wait for advise and help. Hope it clears soon. M xxx :)

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hi Rob. Just popped in and saw you thread. Sorry Chrystal has a few problems. I wonder if she has Cystitis or Pilatus. that's a water infection one of which, has blood in the urine.
I would phone the emergency surgery and speak to someone before next Monday. That's such a long time to wait for advise and help. Hope it clears soon. M xxx :)

Rash seems to be clearing again Mal, she was quite on the ball for most of the questions dementia navigator asked and the blood flow has dried up. Will put Cystitis and Pilatus on the list of things to ask about though, thanks for the tip.
Was very pleased with the dementia navigator, very sensible and discreet. :)