A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m so impressed with the treatment I`ve had.

The audiologist was as frank as he could be. He was deaf himself and knowledgeable from a personal as well as professional perspective.

He observed I was lip reading more than I had realised and said although my low frequencies are very good, the high frequencies are non existent . It appears if this aid is to be any help at all it will be minimal and the result of trial and error and patience . In his words it will be challenging.

I am free to make an appointment any time I feel the need to consult or believe an adjustment to the aid will be helpful.

All I can say is full marks to the NHS .

I came out of the hospital and was immediately aware of people nearby having a conversation. I couldn`t identify what they were saying but at least I knew they were talking to each other. I`ve always said people can talk about me, behind my back but in my presence and I wouldn’t have a clue .

The same happened on the bus home, chatter, chatter, chatter. :)

When I got home my metal gate `clanked` open and `clanked` shut so something is working. I just need it to relate to speech but it`s not bad for the first day. :)

Thanks for your support.

PS. Because I live alone and don`t really talk a lot, unless I`m on the phone, I was advised to read aloud a little every day so I will be able to appreciate any changes in my voice.

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That's excellent news Sylvia. I know you'll persevere and I hope you get used to it/them fairly quickly. Did you get one or for both ears?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Only one ear Izzy. The other is beyond help.

Oh and I`ve been asked to keep a diary. Does it sound familiar? :)

Last edited:

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
That sounds a good start Sylvia and improvement in one ear would be great. I am sure you will meet the 'challenge' to the best of your ability and wish you luck.

Loo xx

Status
Not open for further replies.