John Noakes RIP

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
The death of former presenter of Blue Peter, John Noakes (83) has just been announced. He had struggled with Alzheimer's for many years.

I guess those of us who watched the programme will always remember " Get Down Shep".....

RIP.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
That was the years when I watched Blue Peter, sorry to hear John Noakes has died from Alzheimers. RIP

Watched a programme on Celtic winning the European Cup in 67, sadly then found out two of the team couldn't take part due to dementia.

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
John Noakes was part of the Blue Peter dream team with Valerie Singleton and Peter Purves. Will always think of him being dragged through a pile of elephant excrement by a frisky baby elephant in the studio! Or at the top of Nelsons column cleaning it with no safety harness and apparently no insurance cover from the BBC!

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
Loved all the daredevil antics John Noakes got up to on Blue Peter and of course his furry mate, the lovely Shep. Hope they are now reunited. RIP John and thanks for being a part of my childhood.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
John Noakes was part of the Blue Peter dream team with Valerie Singleton and Peter Purves. Will always think of him being dragged through a pile of elephant excrement by a frisky baby elephant in the studio! Or at the top of Nelsons column cleaning it with no safety harness and apparently no insurance cover from the BBC!

My Blue Peter team too. Remembering all of their fund raising events. Did'nt John have a bit of a fight with the BBC about keeping Shep when he left the show?

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
So sorry to hear that John Noakes had Alzheimers.
I'll always remember him - yes, especially the elephant dung!
Rest in peace, John.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
We couldn't get British tv when I was young, so wasn't familiar with Blue peter. I did see a news report on John Noakes' death today though that quoted his family as saying he had "endured and suffered from" Alzheimer's Disease, and I thought, good for you, for not glossing over that.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Yes, Noakes, Singleton and Purves were the 'dream team' presenters from my childhood years too.

Of course, this was in the days when there was only a couple hours of children's programming a day, and only 2 channels showing it :eek:

I am sorry to hear of his passing - even more so that his last years were marred by Alzheimer's :(

RIP John, thanks for being such an important part of my childhood.