Falling/Getting up

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
This morning while getting John ready for daycentre he fell in the shower room. He is not heavy but still a dead weight. We spent twenty minutes trying every which way to get him up and I was on the point of pressing the alarm button to get the people out who lift fallers when I had a brain wave. He could still slither on his bottom so I got him to slither out to the hall and swing his legs onto the stairs. This let him hold onto the rails and was levered on to his feet much more easily. Whew!!

I can't do without these few hours to myself and things were looking decidedly dodgy for a while.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
What a start to the day. Pleased you resolved it. We get more resourceful at times when we need to. Have a good day [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
Hi
Do you have grab rails in the shower?
Before mum went into ch,they had grab rails by the loo and in the shower. They also had what appeared to be an unusable one half way along the wall- bit like where a towel rail height would be. On occasions when fallen,she could be encouraged to get to this rail to pull up onto her knees,and from there we could normally get her up.
The problem we found,was if she fell in the hall for example,she would 'paw'at the wall.as it was one colour,she couldn't 'see' that there was nothing to grab on to.soemtimes she would help us by bum shuffle or crawling to the bottom stair to be helped up, or we would put a dinning chair in front of her,backwards,with one of us sitting on it to give stability,then try and encourage her to grab the seat back etc.
Ros

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
The problem is his bad knee so he can't kneel to pull himself up even with grab rails. Getting up from a sitting position at the top of the stairs with his feet flat on a step and solid was easier.

Clunchman

Account on hold
Dec 6, 2016
Well done on solving the problem. I have to have grab rails in the shower and all over the house to help my wife. She still has falls, but less of them.