Constant chatter

GretalP

May 17, 2017
Just wondered if anyone else had experienced these symptoms that my Mum is now presenting. Mum is in the later stages of Alzheimer's disease and up until recently we have still been able to have short conversations. About 6 months ago she started to constantly repeat the same words over and over again - virtually non stop. It is gobbledygook and doesn't seem to relate to anything in particular. Sometimes she can talk all night long and it is becoming a permanent feature during her daytime hours. You can interrupt her by asking questions which sometimes she will answer but the immediately resorts to the same constant chatter. The care homestaff have observed that at times she seems agitated by it and saying, ' she cannot help it'. I have asked if she is in pain, uncomfortable, upset by something but she repeatedly says no and there are no visible signs she is in pain.
It is distressing both for her and for me watching this happen. The GP is uncertain as to cause and is wondering whether any medication may help and is going to consult a psychiatrist. Whilst it is distressing I don't want medication to completely knock her out.

I just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar and whether a route cause had been detected other than the fact it is purely deterioration in the Alzheimer's.

Many thanks
Gretal

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
My mum is a chatterbox, she will talk to me, the dog, the cats, the tv when it is on. She even has 2 way conversations with herself. There are some days when she does not stop, she can't help it too. Usually the same stuff over and over. She is not distressed and if I think she is in any pain I give her some pain killers. Occasionally if the chatter is extreme and she does not slow down even at bed time, I have given her half a sleeping pill, but most of the time I just let it go. Before Dementia she was such a chatterbox, no one could get a word in.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Gretal, welcome to TP
" About 6 months ago she started to constantly repeat the same words over and over again" :eek: Tell me about it, I spend too much time listening to a woman (in care with my wife) who says the same word over and over and before my wife went into care she was in a unit with another woman that did the same thing and I know how much it can wear you down; over and over and over the same word.
My wife makes often makes repetitive sounds usually preceded by a few recognisable words then the same sound over again.
I would guess that I know who enter the care home lounge just by the sound that accompanies them. The same word or sound over again seems to be a common enough trait.
I've never seen it medicated away, some of the people who came from the assessment unit with my wife to the same care home still do it now 18 months later and the assessment unit was very intensive treatment.
K

MeganCat

Jan 29, 2013
South Wales
My mum talks constantly, occasionally there are a few wonds that make up a bit of a sentence, but totally out of context. many are made up words or words resulting from other words being combined. She used to sing, but now its more of a rythmical chatter. She doesnt seem distressed by it - and amazingly has never gone hoarse or seems to have a sore throat!
I liken it to dreaming out loud, the bits you can understand are completely unrelated to the present - eg telling someone off. our brains are never quiet, just we dont think out loud, but i think my mum might ???
This only started when she declined rapidly about 18 months ago after a bout of flu, at that point her mobility, continence, ability to use cutlery or hold a cup etc also diminished.

Novice

May 8, 2017
I am not sure where my Mum is in the different stages, but she has recently started constantly chanting sounds usually "E -E -E" followed by "R-R-R" and occasionally "I-I-I". My brother and I do not think she knows she is doing it, and indeed when I start mimicking her (probably should not!) she laughs and stops. I have found this is worse when she is agitated, and this usually signifies a need for a trip to the loo! The onset of these noises has resulted in us having to stop our theatre trips (something she loved) as those in neighbouring seats understandably got upset.