Has anyone been on a ' Carers Course?"

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
OH was diagnosed in February 2016 but, as with others, I had already guessed it during the previous two years. Organisationally I have coped and had changes in house etc sorted very quickly. I also went to carers group meeting and got lots of good advice. From that I approached my local Alzheimer's office about a training/guidance course. Since then I have asked them the same question three times and, after 9 months of failures to get back to me, I have given up asking. But I am struggling to cope and need some practical help, not pamphlets or booklets, which comes back to a course of some kind. Question is, are they worth doing and where best to apply? Hoping for some help, thank you.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
What you are looking for is CriSP (Carer Information and Support Programme)
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/...s/323/carer_information_and_support_programme

Put your postcode in
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/...you?gclid=CIC6q6GA6NMCFWi-7Qod6-kOgQ#!/search
and see if you can find any projected courses nearby.

Thank you for this nitram. Although I can't find any courses via the link I have found a local poetry group specifically for those with Alzheimer's or their carers for which I have asked for further info.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Agzy, if you are able to get on a course, I would get all the training you can. When I first noticed the changes in my husband (a few years before he was diagnosed) I started taking training courses, some of which I had to do anyway for my part time work (in Home Care), but I was able to choose some elective modules for those courses, in Elder Care & Dementia. I got the qualifications for Care Assistant and did extra courses in both Elder and Dementia Care. It did help enormously with caring for my husband, but more so, I found, in dealing with professionals. Because I had come across several of them in the course of my training, they knew that I knew what I was talking about, and were more inclined to listen to me. It was also good for me, to be able to know, usually, what were signs of something not being right, and what were signs of actual progression of the illness. particularly, if you can, try and get a manual handling/patient moving course and even basic first aid, which would teach you things like taking a pulse, etc.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I found this: https://www.carersfederation.co.uk/training-courses-for-pas-and-unpaid-carers/

Do the Open University do anything? Or try local adult education centres for part time courses. Several of the local colleges here do part time courses. They might be more than you need though - they would be the equivalent of NVQ 3, and involve about three months work placement. They are the absolute minimum required for both Home Carer workers and residential/nursing home carers here.

Susisuster

Mar 6, 2017
I went on a 'dementia adventures' organised carers course and found it very good they are free and very factual about dementia, it's also always good to meet other carers

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Yes I did the Crisp course. I thought I was making up numbers, but it was really useful. I also made a group of friends that I still see. They were a great help to me when OH died, btw. Bit like TP, but meeting with a cup of coffee and piece of cake!

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Agzy, if you are able to get on a course, I would get all the training you can. When I first noticed the changes in my husband (a few years before he was diagnosed) I started taking training courses, some of which I had to do anyway for my part time work (in Home Care), but I was able to choose some elective modules for those courses, in Elder Care & Dementia. I got the qualifications for Care Assistant and did extra courses in both Elder and Dementia Care. It did help enormously with caring for my husband, but more so, I found, in dealing with professionals. Because I had come across several of them in the course of my training, they knew that I knew what I was talking about, and were more inclined to listen to me. It was also good for me, to be able to know, usually, what were signs of something not being right, and what were signs of actual progression of the illness. particularly, if you can, try and get a manual handling/patient moving course and even basic first aid, which would teach you things like taking a pulse, etc.

A few things there to consider and investigate, thank you.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
I found this: https://www.carersfederation.co.uk/training-courses-for-pas-and-unpaid-carers/

Do the Open University do anything? Or try local adult education centres for part time courses. Several of the local colleges here do part time courses. They might be more than you need though - they would be the equivalent of NVQ 3, and involve about three months work placement. They are the absolute minimum required for both Home Carer workers and residential/nursing home carers here.

I wish I had done Open University years ago but many reasons why I can't now but thank you.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Yes I did the Crisp course. I thought I was making up numbers, but it was really useful. I also made a group of friends that I still see. They were a great help to me when OH died, btw. Bit like TP, but meeting with a cup of coffee and piece of cake!

Again sounds like one for me but what does 'Crisp' stand for and who runs them? Thank you.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
You could also ask local Carer's associations or even at a Day Centre if there are any courses for Carers. Our local Alzheimer's Society runs a course for family carers over five weeks, and the Carer's Association here also does training for Carers. Maybe all it needs is enough people to ask for it?

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Hi there. The Alzheimers society was the place where ours was run. Just phone them to find out if your local branch hold them. Well worth going to I thought. And my husband was looked after in another room. Good luck.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
CriSP in most areas is probably feeling the financial pinch.

I was involved in setting one up as part of a local 'make xxx dementia friendly' initiative.

It was all funded by a 3 year Big Lottery Fund Award, it took a year to set up, ran for two years then stopped when funding ceased.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
I did a CRISP course when my husband was in the early stages and found it really helpful. There were 4 sessions.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point