Mouth care

Bluna

Oct 2, 2012
Woking
Hello, I'm new to posting on here, although have been looking on here for advice for some years.
My mother , 82 , has been in a nursing home for 2 1/2 years. In that time she has deteriorated to the extent she spends her days in the residents lounge. She had a full set of her own teeth when she arrived, then lost a front tooth after a few months and now her teeth are sparse and caked in plaque! I asked the staff about cleaning and they said they use a sponge. She is extremely agitated and always calling for her 'daddy' when I visit. I can usually calm her down , but goodness knows how many hours a day she does this for? She may be in pain with her teeth as she makes strange mouth movements. I don't know what to do? My step father visits her every other day, but he just laughs and jokes with the staff and I feel he's not seeing( or denying) the problem! He jokes with staff to ' watch out , her daughter won't be pleased' kind of banter. I'm thinking of giving up work so I can visit her more often , it takes me about 45 mins if traffic ok.

jorgieporgie

Mar 2, 2016
YORKSHIRE
Hi Bluna, I have just seen you post and had to answer. Your poor Mum if you think she is suffer with her teeth. My BIL who was in CH and had dementia and had bad teeth and had a dentist. You can get dentists that will come in the CH and check their teeth over.
The home should have organized this.
Just because someone has dementia doesn't mean they have to suffer with other ailments.
I would think carefully about giving your work up for visiting, your Mum is a good old age and wont be around for ever. You have to think about your own future too.
Your Mum is in a safe place, all you can do is be her advocate and speak out or pressure the home if you have any concerns.
Hope you get thing sorted. If not ring a dentist yourself and get some advice.
Maybe someone will come alone soon that has gone through this and will be better to advise you. x

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
Hello, I'm new to posting on here, although have been looking on here for advice for some years.
My mother , 82 , has been in a nursing home for 2 1/2 years. In that time she has deteriorated to the extent she spends her days in the residents lounge. She had a full set of her own teeth when she arrived, then lost a front tooth after a few months and now her teeth are sparse and caked in plaque! I asked the staff about cleaning and they said they use a sponge. She is extremely agitated and always calling for her 'daddy' when I visit. I can usually calm her down , but goodness knows how many hours a day she does this for? She may be in pain with her teeth as she makes strange mouth movements. I don't know what to do? My step father visits her every other day, but he just laughs and jokes with the staff and I feel he's not seeing( or denying) the problem! He jokes with staff to ' watch out , her daughter won't be pleased' kind of banter. I'm thinking of giving up work so I can visit her more often , it takes me about 45 mins if traffic ok.

My father had his teeth decaying from his carers neglect. The carers being my mother and -half of the year- me. I can't believe we were so oblivious! We fed him sweets and didn't think. Anyway, at 96, he is at home still, and I have posted signs up all over to remind us to brush his teeth. He would brush when handed a filled toothbrush and a glass of water until recently, but I now just do it for him. There are bits and stumps of teeth, but he still has several magnificent crowns in front, holding on for dear life. So I would say- a sponge is not enough! Get a soft brush -for a child, perhaps, and put a drop of sensodine toothpaste on it and brush away. Then blot her teeth and brush with just water.