Clenched fists

ceroc46

Jan 28, 2012
Morning all, I haven't posted for a while. Hope you're all as good as can be expected!

This might have been mentioned before but I've missed it, so apologies in advance.

Mum now clenches her fists nearly all the time. I get her to unclench in the evening to wash them; she makes noises as if it's painful to do this but will then leave them unclenched for a while . I try to give her things to hold, but this doesn't really work.

Any ideas or experiences of this?

TIA

Nameless

Jun 10, 2016
You can take a thin piece of foam (about 0.5 cm) the width of the hand and about 30 cm long. On one end cut out 4 holes finger size , and a bit below these another 4 holes. That way you can put the fingers (each through two holes) and make a roll out of the rest and place it in the palm of the hand overnight. It won't work miracles, but will keep the fingers in a different position for a few hours.

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
Hi
Mum does this when agitated /upset / distressed etc. We worked out this was when happening as normally at the same town pulls what we call 'manic' face and if speaking with us tends to lean forward and shout in face.
At the moment,we can stop the hands when sort out what it is that is causing the agitation etc. She will fiddle with a ball of knitting wool or a small foam stress ball type thing sometimes,which seems to help as well. Haven't been told she is doing this at night,but she does tend to 'clutch ' the edge of the duvet when sleeping,so this may stop the hands fully closing.
Ros
Morning all, I haven't posted for a while. Hope you're all as good as can be expected!

This might have been mentioned before but I've missed it, so apologies in advance.

Mum now clenches her fists nearly all the time. I get her to unclench in the evening to wash them; she makes noises as if it's painful to do this but will then leave them unclenched for a while . I try to give her things to hold, but this doesn't really work.

Any ideas or experiences of this?

TIA

Aitchbee

Nov 3, 2013
My Mum's hands are now permanently clenched. The physio said that this is due to a shortening of the tendons. It is very painful for her if we try and straighten them (now impossible to straighten them). She has been given palm protectors to wear to prevent her nails digging into her hands. It might be a good idea to speak to your Mum's GP for advice?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA