Morning spasms

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
Mum seems to get the odd spasm in the morning, when she first gets up. It lasts a fraction of a second. If she's drinking tea the liquid just falls out. If she is standing she just about recovers her balance but could fall if I'm not there.

Usually one 'moment' first thing when she gets up but today she had 3-6 'moments'.

Could be as simple as her being constipated. But may be something more serious. Should I consult the GP?

It's been happening for a while now but I haven't done anything because it was only when she got up.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I agree - always best to keep the medics up to date on any changes just in case they recognise something significant, or can reassure that nothing untoward is at play

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
Had a telephone chat with the GP and mentioned the 'spasms'....he didn't seem to recognise the symptoms or have a reason why this would happen only after getting up. He said to keep an eye on things and if they get worse then go see him.

I was hoping that someone here might have seen this happen but maybe my mum is a one off...of course she is:D

Last edited:

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
Could it be low blood pressure?

Mum had low BP in hospital and then it was more of a slump than a spasm. It also lasted hours.

This is a full body lurch accompanied with a little sound...like someone who is dizzy. But it only lasts a fraction of a second. It's like she has been tasered (not that I know what that's like) and makes me think it is something 'electrical' in the brain.

As long as it's only when she gets up first thing in the morning then I don't think I will worry about it (the GP didn't sound too concerned on the phone).

Just wondered if this was a symptom of Alzheimers that other people have seen....apparently not.

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
Could it be a TIA?

Mum had a 'suspected' TIA several years. They did a brain scan but the consultant couldn't be certain it was a TIA (mini-stroke) because of the damage caused by the Alzheimers. She is on Clopidogrel for that.

The GP didn't make a link (but it was only a 20 second 'think' on the phone).

Would a TIA happen in the morning but not later in the day?

Timeout

Feb 10, 2012
Could they be myoclonic jerks? My late stage mum has been doing this for a while, if you Google it you'll see it a common symptom of Alzheimer's

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I think it is always wise to consult GP when worried about sudden changes.

My husband has been having spasms at night for several months now. When I mentioned it to the doctor he said it was likely to be because of medication.

In the last few days he has started to have them during the day time. At the weekend he spilled hot tea down himself as his arm suddenly jerked while raising the mug to his lips. I suspect that a tea spill at one of our groups a few days back might have been down to a similar sudden jerk, but I didn't see it so can't be sure.

I think he might also have had a similar incident at the day centre last Friday when he tried to tell the manager something about burning his lips (no burn to be seen), but again, it wasn't witnessed, so I can't be sure.

Today, I have noticed a couple of sudden arm jerking episodes, but fortunately not involving a hot drink.

I've been reading through some old threads on TP since the daytime episodes started and was fast coming to the conclusion that these are most likely to be myoclonic jerks. I haven't raised it with the GP yet, but will monitor it a bit longer to see if it is going to become as regular as his nightly spasms. I don't know if there is anything that can be done about it, but it doesn't seem to be unknown with Alzheimer's.

In the meantime I am giving him half mugs of tea with a little extra milk - I am hoping this will make it harder to splash down him should he have another spasm - but if he does spill it, at least it won't burn him.

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
My wife with LBD suffered with myoclonic jerks.

See if you can organise a referral to 'adult movement disorders' , or whatever it is called in your area.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
As it occurs on getting up in the morning it could be 'postural' xxxxx. Can't remember exactly but 'postural something'. My mother's friend had it but it wasn't linked with dementia as she was mentally 'all there'. The BP temporarily drops and causes the slump and then recovers.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Postural is usually related to postural hypotension, very low blood pressure on standing up causes reduced flow to brain and body lies down to increase blood supply, ie lies down/faints/collapses.

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
Thanks for the suggestions. Myoclonic jerk sounds possible. But equally 'postural hypotension' rings a bell (she had low blood pressure in hospital). How about Myoclonic jerking caused by Postural Hypotension....perhaps I will run it past the doc....and he will stare at me with that look in his eye that says "Go away":rolleyes:

But I think it is more a jerk....than low blood pressure I think. Low BP in the past has just knocked her flat...the spasm is a momentary thing.

Sometimes it can be very difficult to know when to seek medical advice and how hard to push the doctor for an answer. I'm left wondering if I should be wasting the GP's time on 'silly' things.

A lot seems to depend on how observant I am to mum's behaviour. It's another pressure of being a carer, something I'm not good at.

Careforme

Apr 15, 2014
Hello, I am sorry to hear about your mum and hope things get better soon.

My mum had Alzheimer's for eight years up until ages 65. In my mothers last year she was diagnosed epileptic.

Mum suffered with myclonic jerks as well as full blown seizures. The jerks could be very small to some where she would look to say what was that?!

You could see it in the morning and was told because blood pressure could be low upon waltzing. Make sure your mum is kept well hydrated as it helps also. Although I know how difficult it can be to ensure they are drinking enough and helping them along.

Also, jerks can sometimes indicate there could also be an underlying infection. When my mum had infections the jerks were noticeably more too.

The jerking is probably more notably put down to the deterioration of a person with dementia. It is not uncommon and it can be treated with medication. Although it can take some time to ensure the body is at a therapeutic level with correct medication.

The doctor should defo be aware and know this can happen. You should really get referred to your neurologist and been seen to.

My mum used to have jerking and it was a tell tale sign it was going to go into a seizure. I had never experienced anything like that in my life and I witnessed the first one whilst taking mum to the toilet one day. Every other one after that never got any easier.

I would defo recommend being seen again by neurology.

I wish you all the best and it is always good to talk and seek advice. We go through this without being taught or prepared and sometimes a little bit advice from people who can relate can really help. It did for me at times.

Take care xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

hillymilly

Nov 29, 2012
Paignton
Mum seems to get the odd spasm in the morning, when she first gets up. It lasts a fraction of a second. If she's drinking tea the liquid just falls out. If she is standing she just about recovers her balance but could fall if I'm not there.

Usually one 'moment' first thing when she gets up but today she had 3-6 'moments'.

Could be as simple as her being constipated. But may be something more serious. Should I consult the GP?

It's been happening for a while now but I haven't done anything because it was only when she got up.

I took my mum to the GP yesterday. She moved in with me 3 months ago, and was diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment over 3 years ago. I've been trying to get a more defined diagnosis ever since, as she's gone downhill rapidly since her initial one. Mum has started to have a few "frozen" moments, as well as a shuffling gait and incontinence. I was told yesterday that she may have Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. So now waiting for a consultant appointment. May be worth pursuing for you?

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
I took my mum to the GP yesterday. She moved in with me 3 months ago, and was diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment over 3 years ago. I've been trying to get a more defined diagnosis ever since, as she's gone downhill rapidly since her initial one. Mum has started to have a few "frozen" moments, as well as a shuffling gait and incontinence. I was told yesterday that she may have Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. So now waiting for a consultant appointment. May be worth pursuing for you?

Normal pressure (or even low pressure) hydocephalus is definitely a possibility IMO. There has been a change in the way mum moves around, she shuffles a lot more (this is fairly recent I think....although it can be difficult to remember when I first noticed a change), has trouble with steps and now leans forward (dangerously) when she is tired. I haven't told the doctor about her gait and I think it is a symptom of hydrocephalus.

The doctor is visiting us today. Mum just fell in the living room. I didn't see her fall but I heard her 'yelp'. I think she banged her head on a soft chair and landed on the carpeted floor. Nothing broken as far as I could tell....very, very lucky. Time to get this sorted!!!:eek:

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
Doctor is going to take a blood test (of course) and then refer mum to 'Older Person Rapid Access Clinic'...a 'one stop shop' that have the resources to investigate a possible case of Hydrocephalus. It's a tricky situation because it could all be down to the Alzeihemers or possibly the recent change in medication (in which case I will be wasting everybody's time....but better to be safe than sorry).

Note: Mum recently went from Aricept onto Memantine....I will also ask the dementia consultant if mum's symptoms could be due to the change in meds.

hillymilly

Nov 29, 2012
Paignton
Doctor is going to take a blood test (of course) and then refer mum to 'Older Person Rapid Access Clinic'...a 'one stop shop' that have the resources to investigate a possible case of Hydrocephalus. It's a tricky situation because it could all be down to the Alzeihemers or possibly the recent change in medication (in which case I will be wasting everybody's time....but better to be safe than sorry).

Note: Mum recently went from Aricept onto Memantine....I will also ask the dementia consultant if mum's symptoms could be due to the change in meds.

Hope you get a definitive answer from the GP. I'm now waiting for results of full bloods etc, etc, etc. I wish they wouldn't keep doing blood tests and telling me "oh, it's difficult isn't it" when I explain the further/new symptoms! I'm sure they won't give a diagnosis until I'm at my wit's end! Mum is only on Quetiapine for her anxiety/agitation at the moment. I'm hoping for something different when I see the consultant as she has the constant munchies and it's really difficult to monitor when she goes out to buy sweets, especially if a diagnosis of diabetes is confirmed.