Do you have experience with Antidepressants for stress-caused anxiety?

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
Initial peaceful is placebo effect. It take days to act on brain chemistry. Taking extra sleep pill can cause dizziness.

If you can't keep this, talk back to GP.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
What a shame, after so many positive responses, that your mother should have such a bad experience with her first dose.

There are several other varieties of antidepressants of different formulations, one of which might suit her better.

If however there is no successful outcome, then more help to relieve her caring burden and thus possibly reduce her anxieties might be the next step necessary.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
It may be the citalopram is best taken in the morning rather than at night. The doctor needs to be consulted. You can't usually tell what effect a medication has after just one night. It may have been your mother's anxiety bringing on the symptoms.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Presumably the GP is aware of the sleep medication?

Could 3x the normal dose not have caused the dizziness?

Seems a bit of an extreme reaction to something that in most people takes 2-4 weeks to have any effect at all

doodle1

May 11, 2012
When mum was first prescribed Citalopram the memory clinic said she might have two days increased agitation then she would settle. This is exactly what happened. She sounds so tired ,all common sense has gone out of the window....3 x sleep meds dosage?

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
I was prescribed this, for me it aids sleep, reduces pain, eases stress, depression and anxiety.
Downsides are that if I take it post 8pm, can be a little groggy in the morning.
Luckily I am able to use it very sparingly now. 1 tablet is OK, 2 tablets and its goodbye for 10 hours!

My brother was prescribed this for his neuropathy and said it helps you sleep, but that it left him thickly tired all day. So he couldn't stand it! The sleep part sounds heavenly, the other- sort of dangerous for a frail elderly carer, like my mum.

She seems to not be able to take the SSRIs, as one she took left her unable to sleep a wink, and sent the room spinning, and cramped her leg painfully.

My brother takes Wellbutrin, which I had taken years ago, and it seems to not have side effects.
(My mother thinks she will have to try the next one in a hospital setting- and needs to put Dad in respite care for a week, to do that. )

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
My mum took citalopram in her nursing home. I only wish she had spent her whole life on it! It calmed her down considerably and our lives would have been much less stressful if she had been on it for years. She seemed much more content, and if there were any side-effects we weren't aware of them.

Citalopram does seem to be the first suggestion for people with dementia, there must be a reason why that is. I would say that she should try it and just keep an eye on her for a few weeks whilst any side-effects settle down.

I have had cycles of depression myself and have tried many different anti-depressants over the years. I did try citalopram but it wasn't for me! I had panic attacks when I'd never had them before or since, and I felt so nauseous so I discontinued them. The one that really worked for me was Effexor, no side effects.

Oh thank you. I will look into Effexor.
Do you tend to have sleep problems? I am trying to find one that doesn't augment her insomnia, but doesn't make her drowsy in the day either!

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
OK thanks. Even more of an issue, over dosing on sleeping pills.......

My mother takes sleeping pills that are not addictive, and she cuts them all into chips, which she is judicious in administering to herself! She knows what it is like to go without sleep, and doesn't panic, just waits hopefully for the next night, gets exercise, fresh air, and does without caffine.
She is not someone who would overdose.

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
I don't see how it's possible to leave aside the suitability of her doing so much care. If your mum has been running the ship alone, aged 91, I'd suggest her relatives might offer her some help, rather than advice. Do they help?
Well, as her only daughter, I am spending over six months of the year in her house doing whatever she asks.
I live in the USA, a citizen there, and have fallen foul of the UK government for overstaying my allotted 6mos a year. (I always plan to get back for Christmas- but then Dad ends in hospital, and we visit him every day, and then he comes home to live in a hospital bed in the living room and it's even harder to leave! Despite carers trammeling through all day. ) The customs agent was very stern, harsh actually, when I came back after a month at home in America, blacklined my passport, and left me crying, grateful I could get in for my two months ticket allotment, but doubtful I could come again before Fall. My brother is to come and take them back to America.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
(My mother thinks she will have to try the next one in a hospital setting- and needs to put Dad in respite care for a week, to do that. )

What a good idea. Why doesn't your mother at least try respite care and recover her energy, rest and recuperate? Two weeks at least would be a good idea. She might find he takes to CH living and then she could visit as often as she liked.

Have you taken on board everyone's thoughts that going to America is inadvisable - the flight alone - and that it should be a no-no?

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
Dad takes trazodone, and started on less (50mg) than the usual lowest dose (100mg), to see how he tolerated it. He's since moved up to 100mg. As far as I'm aware, he's had no side effects, his appetite is still good, and he even sleeps a little better (but isn't drowsy during the day).

I once took citalopram, a few years ago for anxiety, and found I couldn't tolerate it. It made me feel very tired and dizzy. The side effects might have gone away if I'd persevered, but I decided not to take anything in the end :).

Trazodone sounds good. Thanks, I'll look at it.

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
My mum took citalopram in her nursing home. I only wish she had spent her whole life on it! It calmed her down considerably and our lives would have been much less stressful if she had been on it for years. She seemed much more content, and if there were any side-effects we weren't aware of them.

Citalopram does seem to be the first suggestion for people with dementia, there must be a reason why that is. I would say that she should try it and just keep an eye on her for a few weeks whilst any side-effects settle down.

I have had cycles of depression myself and have tried many different anti-depressants over the years. I did try citalopram but it wasn't for me! I had panic attacks when I'd never had them before or since, and I felt so nauseous so I discontinued them. The one that really worked for me was Effexor, no side effects.

Of course, she doesn't have dementia, only stress, and it turned out to be a terrible drug for her. I will look up Effexor, -Thanks!

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
What a good idea. Why doesn't your mother at least try respite care and recover her energy, rest and recuperate? Two weeks at least would be a good idea. She might find he takes to CH living and then she could visit as often as she liked.

Have you taken on board everyone's thoughts that going to America is inadvisable - the flight alone - and that it should be a no-no?

Well, living without your children near is a no no too. She has lived here 50 years, but her close friends are all dead, infirm, or not as close as she had thought.

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
It works a treat, I only take them when I need to probably 1 tablet evey 2 weeks when j feel a little flaky. Result is calmer night, with no huge panic attacks. Its an NHS prescription from my GP. No after effects apart from sleep as I'm a massive insomniac when under pressure so they are perfect for me.

Oh! Goodness. I will have to reconsider. Thanks!

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
I am on antidepressants for years ( maybe 20). When I was caring for my mum, it were increased on a way to help me to cope ( working: 8 hrs/ day, caring: 15 hrs/ day and 24hrs/ weekend day. Sleep deprivation for months. )

Maybe without extra dosage I wouldn't be able to cope with huge pressure.

I use escitalopran, it has side effects on first week of new dosage. Then side effects disappears.

My mum used citalopran, without side effects (I don't know about first week of new dosages)

Oh bless you. How good of you to give such a lot of care while you continue to work.
I have read that your medicine was more effective, and I wish we had begun with that one. Still, I dont think the SSRIs are for my mother, and will give up on all of Them, unless she is in a hospital's care.

Last edited:

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
I had St John's for 6 months long time ago, it had some side effects as long time nausea on me.

Your mum is 24/7 carer, She doesn't have 8 hours of normal life a day.

A good doctor should be able to choose the better antidepressants for each patient. However it is important to told them about any side effects that last for more than one week

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

I was thinking of St Johns wort, but you make me not want to push that. For one thing, supplements aren't regulated. I bet they differ brand to brand.

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
My mother has been in a dementia care home for 5 months. 4 months ago she was started on memantine & that seemed to help her to remember how to go to the loo & do other things & also it calmed her aggression.

But she was still depressed & sometimes anxious and about 2 months ago she was put on citalopram - sorry, I don't know the dosage - and it has made all the difference. She now seems serene & content & since it started to take effect, all my visits have been 'good days'.

I don't know what effect it would have on someone who was a carer rather than someone with dementia, but it's certainly been helpful for my Mum. She is 96.

Wonderful. I am pleased that the journey was successful. We have to persevere, -and be glad when something works!
Incidentally, we put my father on Memantine but quit too soon, maybe, thinking him unduly sedated. It seems to be best for more active and even unhappy mid-to-late dementia sufferers. And he was very happy at the time. We might try again..

Last edited:

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
Last year I came on board with caring for my MIL. In conjunction with her G.P we overhauled MIL drugs as she was really dizzy, sleepy and out of it. It turned out she didn't need any blood pressure meds, making her dizzy and the sertraline was making her too sleepy! She was put on citalopram 10mg. It has been really calming for her and as long as she takes it regularly works really well with no side effects. MIL is 74 vascular dementia & Alzheimer's. She also takes Donopezil.

Once I got her a pivotel medication dispenser things have been really regular and that also makes a difference.

Have a chat with her G.P or any other health care worker like an O.T who first suggested citalopram, which make me suggest it to her G.P.

Wow. I wish you were related to us. How competent you are. Our GP is too busy to spend much time revising his plans, but maybe he will try to reassign her a new antidepressant and give her a physical exam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba