DLA higher rate Care.

Nannyfrance

Jun 25, 2016
Pontypridd
My Dad is 90 and lives alone. He still receives DLA as he claimed this benefit at the lower rate before reaching 65. When he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's four years ago he was awarded the middle rare. He now has a care package of four Care visits a day. His carers communication log always states that he refuses to put his PJ's on during the evening call and he is always dressed when they arrive at 7am. I suspect that he is sleeping in his chair, in his clothes, as his bed appears not to have been slept in. I have problems getting him to change his clothes at all. I live 10 miles away so am not able to just call around to check on him during the night. Should he be claiming the higher rate of DLA now? He does not get any carers calling between 8pm and 7am. I would appreciate any advice.

Nannyfrance

Jun 25, 2016
Pontypridd
As I understand it, if DLA is awarded before the age of 65 then it continues as DLA as shown on my Dads award notice each year. I believe the rate is the same though. I just wonder if the higher rate for night time assistance would be awarded if he needs but doesn't actually get night time assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

AD123

Dec 4, 2012
As I understand it, if DLA is awarded before the age of 65 then it continues as DLA as shown on my Dads award notice each year. I believe the rate is the same though. I just wonder if the higher rate for night time assistance would be awarded if he needs but doesn't actually get night time assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

It depends on what night time assistance he needs. Night time for DLA purposes is regarded as when most people would be asleep so assistance to get undressed and into bed would not count. If he needs watching over during the night or help with middle of the night visits to the toilet etc that would count.