A question true. Or falls .with diagnosed of. Dementia

vannesser

Apr 4, 2016
I no this is a strang thing and not every one the same . I whent out over the weekend and a friend of mine was there I hadn't seen her for a few years we stop and chat.she was on abought her brother in law having dementia he was diagnosed 3 year ago .she said he was told that hehad it 3 years befor diagnosed as nothing would show up on skans till then .is this true or can you tell stray away if you get whot I mean

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
I no this is a strang thing and not every one the same . I whent out over the weekend and a friend of mine was there I hadn't seen her for a few years we stop and chat.she was on abought her brother in law having dementia he was diagnosed 3 year ago .she said he was told that hehad it 3 years befor diagnosed as nothing would show up on skans till then .is this true or can you tell stray away if you get whot I mean

Quite often the signs of something amiss start to show years before hand as My OH did by at least two years.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I don't know at what point things start to show up on scans but I think it is fair to say that whenever the point of diagnosis is made the person with dementia will already have had it several years beforehand.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I do know someone who went to the memory clinic, had a scan which didnt show anything, so was told that he had Mild Cognitive Impairment. His memory just got worse, though, so he went back to the memory clinic, had another scan and this time it showed that he had dementia. So in his case the first scan was done early before the dementia showed up.

snorkmaiden

Mar 8, 2014
Surrey
My Dad was diagnosed with AD following a MMSE and a scan. The scan was normal but the MMSE clearly wasn't right. There were few signs of anything being not quite right with him until after a triple heart bypass op 9 months previously which, though helped with his heart probs, caused all manner of other problems and the drugs, to control the the "other problems" caused even more problems. Dementia shouldn't always be considered in isolation in my opinion, there are loads of posts here, and lots of evidence elsewhere, showing that other "things" also have a role to play, especially for those in poorer general health and in the very elderly x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abelbeyene2015