Mum's violence

Licoulthard

Dec 28, 2015
mum has become verbally aggressive over last three weeks and this last few days has been trashing the house & breaking things including the TV. She says the house is hers (it is now in joint names) I am nasty evil liar I steal all her money screams at me to get out of the house and has lashed out. I feel scared as I have no family around me and I live with her. I believe I have done all I can these last couple of years and it is now time full time care. It is bank holiday and our GP have said the earliest they can come is Tuesday pm I think I will be phoning the out of hours tomorrow. Feel so guilty.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
It may be a UTI, have you tried out of hours GP, if you get really desperate, you can phone 999, the paramedics have seen it all before and will be very supportive.

You have done your best, please try to bash the guilt monster on the head, if she is breaking everything in sight, you need support.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
mum has become verbally aggressive over last three weeks and this last few days has been trashing the house & breaking things including the TV. She says the house is hers (it is now in joint names) I am nasty evil liar I steal all her money screams at me to get out of the house and has lashed out. I feel scared as I have no family around me and I live with her. I believe I have done all I can these last couple of years and it is now time full time care. It is bank holiday and our GP have said the earliest they can come is Tuesday pm I think I will be phoning the out of hours tomorrow. Feel so guilty.

So many people must relate to that over-whelming feeling of , "I've had enough!", so don't beat yourself up too much.

As suggested by jugglingmum, it may be a result of an infection or it may just be the disease itself. Whatever you do need help to see you through this. My mother's violent phase was mercifully relatively short-lived but I have friends whose parents have been like that for years and I've gone with them on a visit for moral support, as the 'hostess mode' then tends to kick in.

You may just need respite care for a week or it may indeed be time for a Nursing Home. Make sure you contact someone /anyone on Tuesday and warn them you are at breaking point. Indicate that your mother would then potentially be 'at risk' and then they have a duty of care to resolve the situation.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
Don't feel guilty. easier said than done though. If you can no longer carry on whether she gets better from a possible infection or not, you have done amazingly well to care for her this far. It is so traumatic for both your mum and for you to have this happen, it just makes your insides turn to ice and your head spin.
Please ring whoever you need to and don't be "brave" on the phone, have a melt down. Don't try to hide any of the more difficult things to talk about.
Do you have friends or family who could give you help today?
Do you have a safe room with a lock on the door and a phone in it for yourself?
I hope you and your mum had a reasonable night.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
We have a mental health crisis team in our area and they work out of hours. Look online. They came to me when my husband was difficult over a weekend. They will certainly respond to aggressive behaviour.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point