Riser recliner chairs. Any advice?

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
This is really helpful, thanks. I never thought of speaking with her GP, I'll see what she says. If we can get some sort of financial support, it would be a massive help. Did your GP organise a home assessment or did they just supply the chair straight off?

My GP arranged it. My husband had a UTI at that time, and couldn't make the stairs. I asked if he could have one of the recliners, as it would so helpful when he was better, as he had difficulty getting in and out of an ordinary chair. I received the chair the following Monday.

This was in 2012, things may have changed. Though if I need anything, I still do it through my GP who is always very helpful. Was wondering, why does she need a double motor?

Last edited:

over_score

Apr 7, 2016
Thanks everyone for the help, some great points to consider. I'll cogitate on the advice and hopefully come to a decision soon. :D:D

over_score

Apr 7, 2016
My GP arranged it. My husband had a UTI at that time, and couldn't make the stairs. I asked if he could have one of the recliners, as it would so helpful when he was better, as he had difficulty getting in and out of an ordinary chair. I received the chair the following Monday.

This was in 2012, things may have changed. Though if I need anything, I still do it through my GP who is always very helpful. Was wondering, why does she need a double motor?

The dual motor chairs give much more flexibility. The backrests on the dual motor recliners I tried in the mobility shop reclined further than the single motor ones. Also, as Shedrech and Slugsta have said above, the footrest can be a bit of an issue. The ability to recline the backrest slightly without raising the footrest could be useful.

Plisnit

Feb 1, 2017
Just a word of warning. I got my mum a recliner when she had trouble getting in and out of the chair, but she never quite got the hang of the which buttons did what and ended up falling several times as she tried to get out of the chair without putting the leg rest down. At the other end of the scale it is possible to almost 'eject' yourself from the chair if you keep your finger on the rise button for too long. The paramedics who attended mum after her fall siad this type of accident was not uncommon.

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
The dual motor chairs give much more flexibility. The backrests on the dual motor recliners I tried in the mobility shop reclined further than the single motor ones. Also, as Shedrech and Slugsta have said above, the footrest can be a bit of an issue. The ability to recline the backrest slightly without raising the footrest could be useful.

My husbands chair reclines back fully, enables him to lay flat when he nods off. When he first had it he said it was more comfortable than the bed. I never had trouble with him using the remote, now, he doesn't know how to anyway. My friend only had the double motor because of his weigh and size. The single motor chairs are not as wide, but, do the same things.
I think the idea of the foot rest raising slightly with the back reclining is good. User's won't slide off the chair, or, make their mid back ache, having their feet on the floor while laying back. Hope you GP will be of help.

joolzt

Apr 1, 2016
Edinburgh
You mention sleeping in it. If you mean using it as a night bed rather than just dozing during the day then check it is suitable for that purpose. Many recliners are not recommended for all night use. Don't know why, maybe it's the fabric.

You may want to check the control buttons too. Mum's chair has a control with big buttons on with pictures. Sadly even they don't remind mum that she can get the chair to stand her up as she didn't use that feature before her dementia. She can put the footrest up and recline though.

Sent from my SM-T719 using Talking Point mobile app

Moog

Jan 8, 2017
Kent. UK
We just managed to get one for my father via an OT assessment. Our Nurse Case Manager arranged an OT visit due to Dad's Parkinsons. He's still mobile and although wobbly, he can walk shuffle with a stick. They measured his floor to knee height to get one his size free of charge. It's secondhand but the furniture is cleaned, repaired, etc. He's never been a new-adopter so can't fathom out the controls despite being shown the two simple buttons - 'up arrow' and 'down arrow' but I can when I'm there.

Mum (vascular dementia) has one too - luckily a carer knew someone selling an almost new one (£80!!!). It's ideal for Mum at night as she gets restless at night and won't stay in bed much with Dad so at least the night carer can recline her and she sleeps there with her legs raised. It's fabric so because of her incontinence we've had to put plastic sheets on the seat and disguise them with washable blankets folded and tucked in. We were lucky to get them I guess. Word of warning - they are helllishly to move up/downstairs.

All the best - hope it goes well.

Moog x

kaleido

Apr 26, 2017
Following everyone's recommendations and advice, I've had a little look around online at riser recliner chair suppliers. I found one called Alpine. They sell stylish, modern looking chairs, which is kind of what I'm after... https://alpinehc.co.uk/riser-recliner-chairs. Their reviews are v good too. Anyone used them?

I'll keep looking around, thanks for the help everyone. :D

Hey, over_score. I have one of Alpine's rise and recline chairs. Its a lovely chair and they're an excellent company, really helpful and actually care about your needs. They came and fitted the chair in my dad's upstairs bedroom. I love their range, really contemporary and almost European looking. I went for this one (https://alpinehc.co.uk/riser-recliner-chairs/talitha-recliner-riser-recliner-chair) in the dark grey fabric, super comfortable and supportive for dad.

As well as the people I spoke with over the phone, I also found their website really helpful in helping me to choose which chair would be best for dad. They have selector guides for rise and recliners, https://alpinehc.co.uk/engage/knowledge/guides/chairs-and-riser-recliners/. Would recommend the dual motor option, its not much more expensive and dad often adjusts the backrest by itself. However, there is an additional set of buttons which could confuse. :rolleyes:

Best wishes in finding a chair for your mum :D

kaleido

Apr 26, 2017
We just managed to get one for my father via an OT assessment. Our Nurse Case Manager arranged an OT visit due to Dad's Parkinsons. He's still mobile and although wobbly, he can walk shuffle with a stick. They measured his floor to knee height to get one his size free of charge. It's secondhand but the furniture is cleaned, repaired, etc. He's never been a new-adopter so can't fathom out the controls despite being shown the two simple buttons - 'up arrow' and 'down arrow' but I can when I'm there.

Mum (vascular dementia) has one too - luckily a carer knew someone selling an almost new one (£80!!!). It's ideal for Mum at night as she gets restless at night and won't stay in bed much with Dad so at least the night carer can recline her and she sleeps there with her legs raised. It's fabric so because of her incontinence we've had to put plastic sheets on the seat and disguise them with washable blankets folded and tucked in. We were lucky to get them I guess. Word of warning - they are helllishly to move up/downstairs.

All the best - hope it goes well.

Moog x

£80!!! :eek: That's a bargain :D

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Incontinence accidents.

I bought some large Luxuary quilted washable bed sheets with flaps from Incontinence UK. I keep one on the back of the chair length ways. I secure with 4/5 strips of wide masking tape at the top of the chair, flap folded under. Quilted part is then behind the back and under the bottom. Also if nodding for period for time, I place one width way. This has stopped the chair getting wet, if there are accidents. The padded material top stops sweating, which I found was happening with the plastic disposable ones, I first used. They are easily washed in W/machine and dry quickly.

Moog

Jan 8, 2017
Kent. UK
I know!! Unbelievable. Sad circumstances though, a carer knew another client whose father had just passed away. Luckily it's a lovely small care company and even the families of their 'clients' help each other - I guess we are all in the same boat with ailing mothers and fathers.

The son - lovely man - offered it to us and even delivered it in a van, even though his father had only passed a few days earlier. That's true kindness.

Moog

Jan 8, 2017
Kent. UK
I bought some large Luxuary quilted washable bed sheets with flaps from Incontinence UK. I keep one on the back of the chair length ways. I secure with 4/5 strips of wide masking tape at the top of the chair, flap folded under. Quilted part is then behind the back and under the bottom. Also if nodding for period for time, I place one width way. This has stopped the chair getting wet, if there are accidents. The padded material top stops sweating, which I found was happening with the plastic disposable ones, I first used. They are easily washed in W/machine and dry quickly.
Thank you for the great tip. That's a fabulous idea [emoji4]

kaleido

Apr 26, 2017
Vinyl waterproof fabric sorts incontinence issues. Like the idea if you're wanting a fabric chair though.

Last edited:

over_score

Apr 7, 2016
Hey, over_score. I have one of Alpine's rise and recline chairs. Its a lovely chair and they're an excellent company, really helpful and actually care about your needs. They came and fitted the chair in my dad's upstairs bedroom. I love their range, really contemporary and almost European looking. I went for this one (https://alpinehc.co.uk/riser-recliner-chairs/talitha-recliner-riser-recliner-chair) in the dark grey fabric, super comfortable and supportive for dad.

As well as the people I spoke with over the phone, I also found their website really helpful in helping me to choose which chair would be best for dad. They have selector guides for rise and recliners, https://alpinehc.co.uk/engage/knowledge/guides/chairs-and-riser-recliners/. Would recommend the dual motor option, its not much more expensive and dad often adjusts the backrest by itself. However, there is an additional set of buttons which could confuse. :rolleyes:

Best wishes in finding a chair for your mum :D

Thanks kaleido. I like the look of them and their reviews are really good. I'll call them if I don't have any success with my GP. :)

over_score

Apr 7, 2016

Good idea. I'm still undecided as to whether to go for leather/vinyl material as this would sort out incontinence issues. Just the friction problems to consider. Decisions, decisions :rolleyes::)

Poet1

Aug 10, 2015
Hello Over-Score,

We bought our recliner/riser chair from a charity shop. It is useful but through lack of experience did not know what to look out for. We accepted that these chairs are not too pretty. The chair helps my wife to stand. It gives her a 'footstool'. It reclines but she has not tried resting in it as she prefers going to bed for a rest.

The problem with the chair is that it has a very short seat and so does not support the thighs. My wife is 5'6" tall. We overcame the difficulty by removing the voluminous cushions from the back rest. It is OK but no better than that. We have been using it for over two years. We paid about £450; I cannot remember the exact price.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Good idea. I'm still undecided as to whether to go for leather/vinyl material as this would sort out incontinence issues. Just the friction problems to consider. Decisions, decisions :rolleyes::)

There is a tendency to slide with the leather, and, as someone said, that causes friction and can result in sores, also if it gets wet it may well soak into the leather. Material does tend to be softer, and doesn't get so warm under the bottom. Good luck with GP.

christmas

Apr 27, 2014
Leicestershire
I am currently looking for a riser recliner chair that is electric and has two motors for my elderly mother with vascular dementia. She is relatively mobile but seems to find getting in and out of her armchair particularly difficult and sometimes stressful.

I am keen to get her an electric riser chair that will stand her up and also recline her so she can sleep comfortably in it. I have browsed a few mobility shops in my area and have set myself a budget of £1,000. However, when looking around I have found that the majority of chairs look quite dawdy and very dated. :rolleyes:

Has anyone had any experience and can they offer advice on where I should be looking, the sort of price I should be paying, material types etc? :confused:

Thanks in advance

Update: Has anyone purchased or experienced these chairs? https://alpinehc.co.uk/riser-recliner-chairs

Hi I have just brought Peter one I got it of the internet from Lloyds pharmacy , it is brilliant I had a leather one ,but you can get material , it was six hundred and ninty nine and got v.a.t of I can really recommend them,hope this helps you xx

FMrsT

Apr 29, 2017
Riser/recliner search

I am currently looking for a riser recliner chair that is electric and has two motors for my elderly mother with vascular dementia. She is relatively mobile but seems to find getting in and out of her armchair particularly difficult and sometimes stressful.

I am keen to get her an electric riser chair that will stand her up and also recline her so she can sleep comfortably in it. I have browsed a few mobility shops in my area and have set myself a budget of £1,000. However, when looking around I have found that the majority of chairs look quite dawdy and very dated. :rolleyes:

Has anyone had any experience and can they offer advice on where I should be looking, the sort of price I should be paying, material types etc? :confused:

Thanks in advance

Hi there, I'd pursue the OT service again, assuming your local authority deals with chairs (some don't). Your mother is entitled to an assessment under the care act - this includes advice and information. The OT will establish the problems with the existing chair - perhaps it is suitable for raising? An OT will be able to advise on measurements, single/dual motor, cushioning type, back rest style, and covering. There is so much choice out there. I'd hate for you to spend a large sum on something that may or may not be useful. A poorly fitting chair can increase risk of other physical problems. A dual motor chair can be confusing to operate, my own family member got in a right pickle! Can you take your mum to a supplier to trial something? Best wishes in your search.