Riser recliner chairs. Any advice?

over_score

Apr 7, 2016
I am currently looking for a riser recliner chair that is electric and has two motors for my elderly mother with vascular dementia. She is relatively mobile but seems to find getting in and out of her armchair particularly difficult and sometimes stressful.

I am keen to get her an electric riser chair that will stand her up and also recline her so she can sleep comfortably in it. I have browsed a few mobility shops in my area and have set myself a budget of £1,000. However, when looking around I have found that the majority of chairs look quite dawdy and very dated. :rolleyes:

Has anyone had any experience and can they offer advice on where I should be looking, the sort of price I should be paying, material types etc? :confused:

Thanks in advance

Update: Has anyone purchased or experienced these chairs? https://alpinehc.co.uk/riser-recliner-chairs

Last edited:

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Make sure you claim VAT exemption when you purchase it as mum has dementia.

Why two motors?- not heard of that before.

Hamster Wheel

Apr 20, 2017
Derbyshire
Mum had terrible rheumatoid arthritis and had 2 recliners with her sofa and 2 Celebrity chairs in a different room. I think the celebrity chairs are better, rise more and can slide off in standing position better. They sell them in furniture stores too. Celebrity's after sales service is very good, not needed it but I did a few months temp work there and could hear them on the phone :) Have a look at their website or phone them on 01623440626http://www.celebrity-furniture.co.uk/ranges/westbury/

over_score

Apr 7, 2016
Mum had terrible rheumatoid arthritis and had 2 recliners with her sofa and 2 Celebrity chairs in a different room. I think the celebrity chairs are better, rise more and can slide off in standing position better. They sell them in furniture stores too. Celebrity's after sales service is very good, not needed it but I did a few months temp work there and could hear them on the phone :)
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll take a look at them.

APPLEANNIE

Mar 20, 2016
riding recliner chairs

I am currently looking for a riser recliner chair that is electric and has two motors for my elderly mother with vascular dementia. She is relatively mobile but seems to find getting in and out of her armchair particularly difficult and sometimes stressful.

I am keen to get her an electric riser chair that will stand her up and also recline her so she can sleep comfortably in it. I have browsed a few mobility shops in my area and have set myself a budget of £1,000. However, when looking around I have found that the majority of chairs look quite dawdy and very dated. :rolleyes:

Has anyone had any experience and can they offer advice on where I should be looking, the sort of price I should be paying, material types etc? :confused:

Thanks in advance
I had a recliner chair and it was leather I would avoid leather as it causes friction when you move and resulted in my having bedsores on my bottom. if you have e-bay there are always loads for sale.

over_score

Apr 7, 2016
Following everyone's recommendations and advice, I've had a little look around online at riser recliner chair suppliers. I found one called Alpine. They sell stylish, modern looking chairs, which is kind of what I'm after... https://alpinehc.co.uk/riser-recliner-chairs. Their reviews are v good too. Anyone used them?

I'll keep looking around, thanks for the help everyone. :D

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Have you contacted your OT to see what they can supply, it is free and they will replace if it breaks down. My husband has had a couple of replacements over time, something, I could not have done, if I'd had to replace them. Worth enquiring.
A friend bought a double last June cost £1500, sadly he went into hospital and died two week later. The supplier gave his widow £700 for it. Disgraceful.

over_score

Apr 7, 2016
I had a recliner chair and it was leather I would avoid leather as it causes friction when you move and resulted in my having bedsores on my bottom. if you have e-bay there are always loads for sale.
This is v helpful. I think I'll go for cloth because I've been told that leather can also cause you to slip down the chair when it is raised. I don't think mum would cope with that. I've looked at ebay, not keen on buying used though.

over_score

Apr 7, 2016
Have you contacted your OT to see what they can supply, it is free and they will replace if it breaks down. My husband has had a couple of replacements over time, something, I could not have done, if I'd had to replace them. Worth enquiring.
A friend bought a double last June cost £1500, sadly he went into hospital and died two week later. The supplier gave his widow £700 for it. Disgraceful.
I spoke to social services a little while back but they said that because mum doesn't urgently require a riser chair medically, I won't receive any financial help. They said an OT assessment wouldn't be worth it because they will only specify a chair if mum really needs it.
Thanks for pointing up your friend's experience. I'll make sure I'm totally confident with the supplier's return policy.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I've bought stuff from the place on the link below and always found their prices and products pretty good, being only a 10 minute drive away means I can always try before I buy. They will also sort out the VAT for you.
The quality and speed of the chairs varies a lot so I'd definitely want to see it in action before I bought one.
K

https://www.ableworld.co.uk/2926-riser-recliner-chairs.aspx

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
I spoke to social services a little while back but they said that because mum doesn't urgently require a riser chair medically, I won't receive any financial help. They said an OT assessment wouldn't be worth it because they will only specify a chair if mum really needs it.
Thanks for pointing up your friend's experience. I'll make sure I'm totally confident with the supplier's return policy.

I had mine supplied through my GP. She came and saw him on the Thursday and the chair arrived Monday. Perhaps try that line, raising your concerns with GP, that you don't want to wait until Mam slides onto the floor, before she can get one.

over_score

Apr 7, 2016
I had mine supplied through my GP. She came and saw him on the Thursday and the chair arrived Monday. Perhaps try that line, raising your concerns with GP, that you don't want to wait until Mam slides onto the floor, before she can get one.
This is really helpful, thanks. I never thought of speaking with her GP, I'll see what she says. If we can get some sort of financial support, it would be a massive help. Did your GP organise a home assessment or did they just supply the chair straight off?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi over_score
got a dual motor rise and recline for dad a couple of years ago, it has been really useful

have your mum try out for size - thought dad needed a roomy one but actually it doesn't support him as much as a narrower one would, and his feet only just touch the ground
we had the material treated to be stain repellant
we had wooden handles at the end of the arms so that dad had something to grab onto getting up and lowering himself to sit
bought some waterproof seat covers which have saved the situation when he's had a bit of an accident - the cover is just a soft mat and easily washed
I did sleep on it once and it's not that comfortable for overnight; good to doze in though
and I don't leave dad unattended when the footrest is up as he can try to stand without putting the footrest down, which is a fall hazard

hope you find one your mum finds comfortable

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
I have a dual motor riser/recliner for physical reasons. As has been said, the dual motor allows for the backrest and leg rest to be adjusted independently.

Mine is also made by 'Celebrity'. I think I paid more than the amount the Alpines are advertised for - but considerably cheaper than HSL!

There are various heights and widths available and it is worth getting the correct size as it will be far more comfortable.

I echo the warning about the user being supervised in case of trying to get out of the chair while the leg rest is still raised as this really increases the risk of falls. Mine takes some time even to revert to the 'neutral' position, it is very tempting to try and get out rather than waiting :eek: