The fateful day...

Badger8496

Apr 18, 2017
West Lothian, Scotland
I've not been on here long but am so sorry for your loss, I'm glad you have faith, it has seen me through many a battle. Take care of yourself now.x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
I am glad you have had some assurance from DWP....I thought you would be entitled to some financial assistance. It all helps to lessen the stress a little bit.

Thinking of you x

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Chuggs, when you go to register the death, take things like NI numbers, his passport, and stuff like that. They will do it all for you and even get your pension, if applicable, changed. I was mighty impressed!

The funeral director is sorting all that out tomorrow! I'm getting a visit, Spamar. I can't believe how things are turning out.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
I am glad you have had some assurance from DWP....I thought you would be entitled to some financial assistance. It all helps to lessen the stress a little bit.

Thinking of you x

The woman I spoke to insisted there was more to pay on his pension. I can't get my bonce around that, Diane. He gets paid monthly, and this is the final week of last month's payment which surely should be paid back to them?

I don't geddit, I really don't.

We'll see how tomorrow turns out. I didn't want to have two debts to pay back. A loan, as I tried to explain to DWP would be much easier, as I could pay everyone back immediately, then pay the loan off. She wasn't having any of it.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
I've not been on here long but am so sorry for your loss, I'm glad you have faith, it has seen me through many a battle. Take care of yourself now.x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

I wouldn't have made it without the Lord Jesus Christ, Badger. Since about 2008, things have been nothing but turmoil, one way and anuvver. I don't need to explain that one to you. You're a Member here, so you sadly know what it's like.

Really appreciate you dropping by. It won't always be sad, Badger. There will be happier days for us all, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
I found everything was completely surreal for the first few weeks, although I was doing all the necessary things it was almost like It was happening in a parallel universe. I'm sure that makes no sense at all. i'm glad the DWP are being helpful that will be one weight off your mind at least. Thinking about you and just wishing Norfolk wasn't so far away. xxxx

It does make sense. I obviously slept so well, I was still in the middle of waking up, which probably describes how I was feeling. Surreal is a good word, Jinx. You're there, but you ain't! It's incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to describe.

Parallel universe. Yup. That about sums it up.

Think I'm on me own planet now. Whether thass good or bad remains to be seen, hahahahahahahaha!

Right now, I guess I'm a bit loopy. Happy one minute, unsure or wanting to cry/sigh, another minute. Really weird, that is.

Badger8496

Apr 18, 2017
West Lothian, Scotland
I wouldn't have made it without the Lord Jesus Christ, Badger. Since about 2008, things have been nothing but turmoil, one way and anuvver. I don't need to explain that one to you. You're a Member here, so you sadly know what it's like.

Really appreciate you dropping by. It won't always be sad, Badger. There will be happier days for us all, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for that chuggalug, I couldn't cope without God in my life either. xx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point mobile app

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
The woman I spoke to insisted there was more to pay on his pension. I can't get my bonce around that, Diane. He gets paid monthly, and this is the final week of last month's payment which surely should be paid back to them?

I don't geddit, I really don't.

We'll see how tomorrow turns out. I didn't want to have two debts to pay back. A loan, as I tried to explain to DWP would be much easier, as I could pay everyone back immediately, then pay the loan off. She wasn't having any of it.

I know Chuggs....benefits are a minefield that's why it is better to get help from the experts, they will advise of all benefit backdates and also any grants you may be entitled to towards funeral costs etc. Grants are better than loans as they don't need paying back......loans should be a last resort, if no other option available.

Take all the help you can get x

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
I know Chuggs....benefits are a minefield that's why it is better to get help from the experts, they will advise of all benefit backdates and also any grants you may be entitled to towards funeral costs etc. Grants are better than loans as they don't need paying back......loans should be a last resort, if no other option available.

Take all the help you can get x

I do agree wiv ya, Diane, but up to a point, because everyone can make mistakes. I've been through so much, I know now to read between every line. Let's face it. The funeral people want to make a living. The care home need to do the same. I have to watch every tiny wrinkle in the system coz so much is just brushed away with an "Oh, don't worry!" As if everything happens by magic and everything comes together without any trouble whatsoever.

That's just not reality. Not in the world I've lived in for far too long. So I have to read between the lines, watch faces, listen to the way people speak. hear what each one says with both ears switched on to overdrive.

I've already heard one thing today which the person who said it had no right to say it. She has made a mistake. I'll have to sort that one out in person next week.

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
I'm so sorry to read that your husband has died Chuggalug. My sincere condolences to you.

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
Hi Chugs, just popped on to see how you were today, I was in a bit of a trance when Chris passed away so I do know how you feel.
The DWP were very helpful I know the old age pension is paid in arrears as I have just got mine.
I don't know how old you are Chugs but if you are under pension age you will probably qualify for bereavement allowance (this used to be called widows pension) it was the lady from DWP who told me about it I had never heard of it. Hope this is helpful.
Sending big hugs Nannylondon xxxxx

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Hi Chugs, just popped on to see how you were today, I was in a bit of a trance when Chris passed away so I do know how you feel.
The DWP were very helpful I know the old age pension is paid in arrears as I have just got mine.
I don't know how old you are Chugs but if you are under pension age you will probably qualify for bereavement allowance (this used to be called widows pension) it was the lady from DWP who told me about it I had never heard of it. Hope this is helpful.
Sending big hugs Nannylondon xxxxx

I know about all that, Nan. I've read about it, and the woman confirmed that it was available and has gone through the claim with me. So simple. They do know their stuff @ DWP and insist on being as helpful as they can. Which certainly stamps on a lot of the news items I've read, lately...

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Oh Chuggs, I am so sorry. How reassuring for you that the carers really cared. I hope you get all the support you need at this upsetting time. I also hope you turn to TP too as there is so much knowledge, empathy and warmth here. Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Just popping to see how you are doing Jen. Good to see you have plenty of support on TP and the DWP are being helpful.

Look after yourself. Rob x

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Good to know you are getting help from the DWP Jen, life is hard enough without having to worry about financial things, although I know this has been ongoing for you since Mr Chuggs went into care. So unfair.
Thinking of you and sending hugs.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx