Proving identity

Anniewragby

Mar 20, 2013
I have POA and manage my Dad's accounts. Our local branch is closing so I want to move Dad's money to the one remaining bank in town. This morning I got a phone call from the person I am meeting tomorrow to arrange this.
" Will your Dad be coming with you?" " No he is in a care home, I have POA"
" Oh , we will need to prove his identity. Does he have a passport?" " It ran out, he's been in a care home for over 3 years"
" A driving licence? Any Utility bills?" " I have POA I manage everything, everything comes to my address." She went on through the list of acceptable documents but of course we don't have any with Dad's name and the address of the care home. I pointed out that we can not be the only people in this situation but she can't seem to find a waiver or clause to cover the use of POA.
Do all banks have the same protocols or does anyone have any ideas on documents that might be acceptable to prove that Dad lives in the carehome?

Just another hurdle................

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
If it is just proof he lives in the care home then ask the Manager of the care home to supply you with details of your Father's length of stay in the home and that it is his permanent abode.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I have POA and manage my Dad's accounts. Our local branch is closing so I want to move Dad's money to the one remaining bank in town. This morning I got a phone call from the person I am meeting tomorrow to arrange this.
" Oh , we will need to prove his identity. Does he have a passport?" " It ran out, he's been in a care home for over 3 years"
" A driving licence? Any Utility bills?" " I have POA I manage everything, everything comes to my address." She went on through the list of acceptable documents but of course we don't have any with Dad's name and the address of the care home. I pointed out that we can not be the only people in this situation but she can't seem to find a waiver or clause to cover the use of POA.
Do all banks have the same protocols or does anyone have any ideas on documents that might be acceptable to prove that Dad lives in the carehome?

Mom has just had her voting card delivered to her NH for the local elections and I assume there will be another one soon for June. Would that be acceptable?

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
See if a letter on headed paper from the care home confirming your dad is a resident will suffice. I had a similar issue years ago - and my OH worked in a senior position in the Head Office of the building society in question at the time, and we were personally known to the local staff. :rolleyes:

It's not their fault - banking regulations are pretty strict these days.

Anniewragby

Mar 20, 2013
See if a letter on headed paper from the care home confirming your dad is a resident will suffice. I had a similar issue years ago - and my OH worked in a senior position in the Head Office of the building society in question at the time, and we were personally known to the local staff. :rolleyes:

It's not their fault - banking regulations are pretty strict these days.

Thanks all but I suggested all of the above and apparently that wont do! I have now found the report from a consultant psychiatrist detailing why Dad has a DoLS if that won't then I can't imagine what will!
I understand that banks need to be careful but surely they could come up with a protocol for this situation .

cantremember

Apr 24, 2017
Thanks all but I suggested all of the above and apparently that wont do! I have now found the report from a consultant psychiatrist detailing why Dad has a DoLS if that won't then I can't imagine what will!
I understand that banks need to be careful but surely they could come up with a protocol for this situation .
For identity purposes banks usually accept the annual pension update from DWP or a notice of coding from from HMRC, as long as they're less than 3 months old. Most also accept the original POA document. For proving the address they generally accept the DWP and HMRC letters and some will accept a recent letter from the care home. I've recently put my relative on the electoral roll to try and avoid this problem.

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
How about birth certificate for proof of name, and a letter regarding his state pension or NHS Medical card or letter of confirmation from GP’s practice of registration with the surgery for proof of address?

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk

I was given Appointee status over my husband's finances, which meant that when he was paid his pension; because it was a shared account, I could use that money to pay his care costs. A shared account seems to be the best bet, Annie. If you can share with a husband, surely you could open one and put you and your Dad's names on it and have all your monies paid in there?

Little while ago, the bank we've used for years said goodbye to all its current account users. They knew our situation and, as I'd opened my own account with them as well, it turned out that sorting out a new account and getting his pension paid into it, plus my two claims was simple. I just phoned everyone and told them my new bank details, and everyone was happy with it. I now have one account in my name which was used for everything. The two old accounts were closed with my signature, which was an enormous help to me.

I ain't used to things working properly, I can tell you, but they have done, the last time I needed to change anything. I haven't a clue of the difference between being an Appointee and having PoA. Someone else will, no doubt.

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
if you are merely transferring between branches of the same bank,cant the existing branch help at all?
i work for a bank and know there are complex laws and rules surrounding id etc and these have to be followed, but if you are not changing the account name or number,merely using a different branch, it shouldn't really cause a problem.
good luck
ros

Anneh

May 4, 2017
Proof of identity

I am having same problem for my mum. Who is in advance stage of Alzheimer's
Mum has been looked after in our local care home. I deal with fees , toiletries, clothes etc.
Mums pension is paid direct to my bank. I have continuing power of attorney
When mum was still at home she didn't use her current account and bank closed it
There is no local branch now as it closed
Mum has received a cheque from insurance company and has no bank account
Insurance co say it's not policy to at POA. now mum has a cheque and no account
Local bank is asking for proof of her identity. They have her pension award letters from dwp letter from social services about her financial matters also stating her residency atcare home. And a letter on headed paper from care home confirming she had stayed there since 2012. Does she have an account not yet. What else can I do

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I am having same problem for my mum. Who is in advance stage of Alzheimer's
Mum has been looked after in our local care home. I deal with fees , toiletries, clothes etc.
Mums pension is paid direct to my bank. I have continuing power of attorney
When mum was still at home she didn't use her current account and bank closed it
There is no local branch now as it closed
Mum has received a cheque from insurance company and has no bank account
Insurance co say it's not policy to at POA. now mum has a cheque and no account
Local bank is asking for proof of her identity. They have her pension award letters from dwp letter from social services about her financial matters also stating her residency atcare home. And a letter on headed paper from care home confirming she had stayed there since 2012. Does she have an account not yet. What else can I do

Really Mums money shouldn't be paid into your account, even if you are POA. You should have POA over an account in hername .

*Come the day* you are going to struggle to accurately work out her money from yours for such as probabate if your finances are combined

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
To prove identity you need to prove name and address separately

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/proof-of-identity-checklist/proof-of-identity-checklist

If you scroll down this link to proof of identity for individuals it will list what a bank should accept, as this is the legislation they are working to.

Note it says one document cannot be used for both name and address.

So for someone in a care home, a DWP letter for proof of name and a letter from GPs surgery to confirm address would seem to be a good approach.

I realise that not all banks will work to this, but printing this link out and taking the documents along might help sort things out.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I'm staggered but not surprised that everyone has problems because it seems the banks haven't moved on from the dark ages and assume that everyone is computer literate these days and don't make any allowances for the elderly & disabled!

I understand that this is a lot to do with fraud but surely they need to make things less stressful and not more stressful!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tori_75