Worried about my short term memory

Annie loves gardens

Mar 31, 2017
I am in my sixties, love walking (do 10,000 steps a day), do daily on line brain training, have a perfect diet and a supportive family!
However, my short term memory has got worse, I have trouble remembering some neighbour's name. Also sometimes I go into a,room, and cannot remember, what I went in there for. Also I go into,a,room to take something there and when I come out, I don't remember, what I have just done!
Imhave seen doctor over the last 3 years and had 2 memory tests, and last result was just ok.
Any thoughts:)

Emac

Mar 2, 2013
memory problems

I am in my sixties, love walking (do 10,000 steps a day), do daily on line brain training, have a perfect diet and a supportive family!
However, my short term memory has got worse, I have trouble remembering some neighbour's name. Also sometimes I go into a,room, and cannot remember, what I went in there for. Also I go into,a,room to take something there and when I come out, I don't remember, what I have just done!
Imhave seen doctor over the last 3 years and had 2 memory tests, and last result was just ok.
Any thoughts:)

Thoughts...what was the question again?;) Annie I sympathise and can tell you are worried, though the things you describe happen to all of us as we age. When you say you cant remember a neighbours name- do you mean your mind goes blank but then you remember it later, or do you not remember at all? I think I read somewhere that if its the first one you are not likely to have dementia. What do family and friends say? Are they noticing you repeating yourself, or asking the same questions over and over? Have they seen behavioural changes? Often others will spot a change before you do. My Mum has AD and was diagnosed at 68. I am 59 and I too have times when I wonder if some of my 'senior moments' are in fact early signs or just me being paranoid. Try not to worry to much -stress will make even a normal memory poorer).

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
In no way do I wish to downplay your concerns, but I do those sorts of things too, frequently! And as for people's names... :rolleyes: :D
What a healthy lifestyle it sounds as if you're living!
Does any of your family have any concerns about your short-term memory too? Is it something you could discuss with them, asking them to be honest?
If you do have lingering concerns, it's always worth going back to your GP. There could be all sorts of possible underlying benign explanations from a simple vitamin deficiency to tiredness (maybe your sleep isn't as good as you think it is). Maybe make some notes over the next few weeks of examples that you can then give to your GP?
I do hope that everything turns out to be OK x

Malalie

Sep 1, 2016
This is weird. I just finished chatting to my best friend on Skype before checking in here and we were both talking about how we find our selves standing in a room, saying to ourselves "Why did I come in here? What did I come in here to find? (We're both 59).........not just us then....

I'm sure memory does go a bit as we get older - it's still all there but it takes a bit longer to retrieve sometimes IYGWIM. You obviously have concerns which you have addressed by visiting your doctor - you sound like you have an admirably healthy life style, so what more can you do.

Annie loves gardens

Mar 31, 2017
Thank you all for your replies and kind thoughts. Short term memory is not something that you can get rid off, but will get worst. The other thing I suffer from is putting something in one place, not realising I have done that, and sometimes, it's days before I find it again, sometimes I don't find it at all:(. Does anyone know of any forums of people like me, to share and support each other? It will help an awful lot for me to share :):)

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa