Asleep again.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
For now I am leaving my diary to ask a question. My husband is nearly 10 years down the line with Dementia. It has been a long journey so far but the last few days he has become more tired and less moving about during the day. Last night he went to bed at 9.15. He was awake when I went in at 9.00am. He let me do his personal care, had his medication and breakfast. He has hardly been awake since. I woke him when he fell asleep at the breakfast table. Moved him to the conservatory. He fell asleep and I woke him for lunch which he was not really bothered about. and he is still asleep now with just a slight stirring and back to sleep. I am worried as though he always sleeps well at night, this is like he is drugged. And no his tablets haven't changed. I hope he is not going to be awake all night.!!xx

Clunchman

Account on hold
Dec 6, 2016
Hi Casbow,
It's the same with my wife with Vascular Dementia. She sleeps well at night. After caring out caring duties for her I give her breakfast and she will sleep again for 2 or 3 hours. Have dinner and sleep again up to 4hrs. She was diagnosed last October and the sleeping and dementia have got steadily worse. Difficult to get household duties done sometimes because of this as she hates being woken up.

Also she can no longer travel. We used to go anywhere by car or motorcycle. Now a couple of miles in the car and she is feeling sick. Motorcycle for her is of course not an option. (Glad to say I can still ride. But only if someone is here to care for her, which is not often. We are both 66yr.)

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Hi Casbow
It's the same with my hubby - vascular dementia for ten years or more. I am thankful that he usually sleeps well at night in spite of sleeping off and on all day. He sits in his chair and hardly ever moves (he has been housebound for years) He wakes up to eat although he sometimes falls asleep while eating his dinner. He just seems to be too tired to bother trying anymore.

If this has changed in the past few days, is it possible there is a UTI developing?

Hope you have a restful night xx

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Thankyou both. He has always slept well at night and had a sleep in the afternoon and whilst watching the tele. But now I am struggling to get him awake to get up. He won't open his eyes and tells me to go away. Had a particulary bad day yesterday. My biggest worry was that he hadn't had a drink since 6.00pm the day before and he was still in bed 20 hours later. When he finally got up he was fine, and ate dinner and talked to his imaginary friends. The this morning I went in at 9.00 and I thought he was going to get up. I was very patient and nice but then he said "I can't. I am sick of never going anywhere. Tied to the house and its getting worse. Sorry to moan.x

Clunchman

Account on hold
Dec 6, 2016
Sorry to hear of the difficulties Casbow. I know the problem when they will not wake up. I have to wake my wife soon for her breakfast and medication. It is not appreciated! But it is the dementia not her causing the problem.
Here travel is the opposite problem. I have to get her into the car for some shopping, though I guess the day is coming when that will not be an option? As said, she feels, and often is, sick after a couple of miles. She does not want to travel anywhere, which means I don't get to either. As much shopping as can is done on line. Though by choice even going round a supermarket is better than all day indoors.
I hope things improve for you Casbow.

Margaret59

Apr 4, 2017
Yorkshire
Constantly sleepy

Hi everyone,
I have just read this post. My OH sleeps on and off throughout the day and in the evening.
Thankfully the post has highlighted me to the fact that this may also be attributed to his illness and I will now make a note of this in my diary and the letter for the GP.
X

Emac

Mar 2, 2013
Sleeping

Thanks for posting Casbow. It seems like you are not alone and the sleeping is most likely part of the dementia? Might be worth having GP check him over though? My Mum is also 10 yrs post diagnosis with AD. She is in a care home and Dad takes her out regularly for a cup of tea ( really a cake she is not so interested in the tea!) However a couple of times recently she wouldn't wake up to go with him even though she used to love to go out. I guess this is just one more piece of normality being taken away from him/her.:(

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Thank you all for your replies. So annoying and frustrating. Today it was 12.30ish. So he had breakfast and I had lunch. Its the amount of time he goes without a drink that worries me the most. and then the fact that I can't move away from hearing him in case he moves to get up.Worry about a fall or a seizure.x

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Got myself in a right state today. He would not get up again and is was 1.00pm when suddenly he turned up in front of me. After saying for the last four hours "I can't. "I can't." Oh my patience was tested. He had breakfast whilst I had lunch. He has changed again the last couple of days. Been really pacing again and won't look at me. It really upsets me when I say please look at me and he refuses. I am visiting a Care home with nursing care on Wednesday next week. With a view of respite. The last respite was terrible and so he was assessed again and that is why it is now a nursing home. I am pleased about that. Though there is a lot to sort out. Just a bit of respite at the moment.Can't understand why he sleeps so much.!!xx

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Today even worse. I am so tired and down I will not post anymore tonight He finally got out of bed at 6.00pm having gone to bed at 9.00 pm the night before. xxxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Today even worse. I am so tired and down I will not post anymore tonight He finally got out of bed at 6.00pm having gone to bed at 9.00 pm the night before. xxxx
Oh Casbow. There's nothing I can say that would make you feel better. But you know we are here for you. xx

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Another day begins. Yesterday I was so worried,angry,frustrated. He did not eat or drink for 21 hours. When I rang Dementia helpline they said it doesn't matter too much. It doesn't matter if he stays in bed. That he probably has pain. Give him painkillers. then try again to get him up. If not, just try to change his bottom and don't worry. Well he had not moved at all. On his back the whole time. I gave him 2 paracetamol which he chewed as he cannot swallow pills.Our son and his wife came round and daughter in law managed to get hubby smiling. Tried to give him a drink with a straw but he couldn't understand what to do. In the end son and I managed to get him up but he yelled and it was obvious his back was hurting. I got him changed whist he stood there and by then he was ready to head out to the conservatory.(In the meantime I had spoken to the GP and she said if we couldn't get him up to call Dementia helpline again.) He finally had some dinner and sat down for an hour but was very sleepy. I got him ready for bed and found that he had soiled himself. And now there is a 3 day weekend.! I have to get respite soon. I am really struggling to keep my patience. He now does not seem to understand anything at all. My poor love.xx

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Thank you GrannieG. I have printed off the information you sent over. The emergency helpline number on there is the one I use. But will read through and and see what else is out there. The helpline yesterday said the most important thing was to change his bottom. That was my biggest worry and the lack of drink. She said the drink didn't matter. The whole point was, that he wouldn't let me change him, and without some co operation from him it was impossible. Finally managed to do it as I said. But not without help. Thank you.x

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
David was a different person yesterday. He got up at 9.00 and was ok to look after all day. Very much in a world of his own but so much better. The only thing different the happened was the he had his bowels open. He had not been for days despite medicine everyday. I do keep a chart so I know how things are working or not. He eats a good fibre breakfast, eats his veg and fruit and has medicine everyday. So I am hoping to speak to doctor tomorrow to see what can be done. Hope you are all well. Youngest son starts walking the Pennine way today. So hope he gets on alright. Its a long way and he is sleeping mostly in a one man tent. With the odd treat of a youth hostel bed and shower,!!xxx

Judy2

Nov 26, 2014
Sleeping a lot

I have been reading all the message re dementia suffers sleeping a lot. My husband has vascular dementia and sleeps a lot in bed usually one day on and one day off. I never try to wake him, as I feel he must need the rest. I worry about his missing his medication, but can most often manage some in the evening. He is 91 next month, and quite frail.
We have a digital video baby monitor which is worth its weight in gold. I can move about the house or even the garden taking the "screen" with me, and can see when T moves or tries to get up.
Best wishes to all carers. Only other carers know how hard it is .Judy2

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breazkrissy