Carers Monday to Friday

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
Hi, does anyone have carers in to assist getting their husband or wife or other pwd up Monday to Friday only? I am thinking I may need help soon but would miss having the occasional lie in. Has anyone done this and did it work ok? Thanks

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
We have a morning carer every day as OH needs help with showering etc, but I'd say it's up to you - if you can cope at the weekends, you tell them so. However, our carer comes later at weekends so you could still have your lie-in. He arrives at 8.30am Monday to Friday, 9.30am Saturday and 10am Sunday, plus he is flexible with that too if our plans change. Find a care agency that can do that. I wouldn't want to miss our carer anymore, he's a huge help!

Murper1

Jan 1, 2016
My Mum lives with me, but she has a carer every morning except Sunday. I've requested that they come after 9am as I have hubs and teenagers getting off to work/school before then. They also call a few afternoons a week to give me a break, take her for a walk in the garden, go to the bathroom etc. If I go away - so rarely - I arrange for them to put Mum to bed as well. They are lovely and I feel it's good for Mum too.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
I think they should be flexible IrisMary. Our Support Worker said she had another client who just has carers a few days a week. It may depend on the individual agency but I hope you can find one who can accommodate you. I agree it can be quite tiring having people in every day.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
My Mum lives with me, but she has a carer every morning except Sunday. I've requested that they come after 9am as I have hubs and teenagers getting off to work/school before then. They also call a few afternoons a week to give me a break, take her for a walk in the garden, go to the bathroom etc. If I go away - so rarely - I arrange for them to put Mum to bed as well. They are lovely and I feel it's good for Mum too.

Your post just shows how different the services are in different parts of the country. I have 3 hours once a week sitter service. Trying to get a couple more hours on another day but it seems the services are so stretched. Did have a care package arranged but he would not have anything to do with it. x

Reallife

Jun 12, 2015
Lancashire
I think it depends on the carers.
Dad originally only had carers Monday to Friday. He had 2 carers at a time because he was unsteady in the morning.The carers were brilliant with him and managed to get him up ,dressed and shower him everyday. They came everyday at 8.30am. It took a lot of pressure of Mum,who has her own health problems. Unfortunately we lost those carers and have had a very mixed bag since. Some shower him and others refuse to try to shower him. Some want to leave him in bed despite him being mobile and he gets himself up half an hour after they have left.We have found some carers cause more pressure than they alleviate. I think it depends on the level of experience of the carers.
Mum doesn't have a lie in as she wants to be up before the carers come, unfortunately now they arrive any time between 9 and 11am and Dad has to stay in bed until they come.
Just make sure you get good carers who want to do the job.

Sorry for the negative post but I've had 4 weeks of the carers not doing what they are suppose to and feeling like I'm banging my head against a brick wall trying to get it sorted.

Last edited: