Clothes shopping for mum

JMA11

Feb 11, 2017
Good evening everyone.

Has anyone got an experience of clothes shopping for their loved one? Our mum has frontal lobe dementia, is urinary incontinent and has scoliosis of the spine so she is quite bent over. She's also very short and has lost a lot of weight and has had hernias in the past.

Mum was always a leggings/jeans person and never liked wearing skirts or dresses much. I need to get some new, basic clothes for her so I went to Primark today but I wasn't very successful.

Has anyone else had to deal with this challenge please?

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Last edited:

Ali67

Feb 4, 2016
Have you tried Bon Marche? They do trousers in different lengths which can be very useful. Also plenty of simple tops. Edinburgh Woollen Mill is also worth a look. Both have online & high street stores.

Julia B

Apr 13, 2015
hello, try online, damart are good, cotton traders, also good old Marks does nice soft tops and pull on trousers, no ironing needed and they do short, MiL is tiny - the section there is called Classic and they are great. Good luck hon

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I get a lot of stuff for mum from Matalan. They are one of few stores that have clothes still suitable for her - basic knitwear, tops and easy care, non iron trousers with elasticated waits! Mum is short (and getting shorter!) so I do have to turn up all trousers for her. They are also very cheap compared to others.

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
hi
i got a Damart acc for mum and when she is able to,let /encourage her to look through and choose things she wants to try- i get them delivered to me,go to ch and make sure shes clean (double incontinent) then have try on. I always order extra bits knowing they are ok with returning unwanted or unsuitable items.
ive also been ordering button though stuff as easier to get on over bad shoulders,or if wants t shirt type top,buying a size too big so can be manoeuvred without causing pain
good luck
ros

Has anyone got an experience of clothes shopping for their loved one? Our mum has frontal lobe dementia, is urinary incontinent and has scoliosis of the spine so she is quite bent over. She's also very short and has lost a lot of weight and has had hernias in the past.

Mum was always a leggings/jeans person and never liked wearing skirts or dresses much. I need to get some new, basic clothes for her so I went to Primark today but I wasn't very successful.

Has anyone else had to deal with this challenge please?

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point[/QUOTE]

JMA11

Feb 11, 2017
Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Malalie

Sep 1, 2016
All good advice - just remember that care home laundries are a bit brutal, so nothing delicate, and nothing she would be horrified to lose.

MIL went into a care home 6 weeks ago, and an unexpected perk is that she no longer looks like a Bag Lady! She was very smart before dementia and it was horrible to see her living in dirty, smelly, baggy old clothes which she would never change...

pippop1

Apr 8, 2013
Cropped trousers

For short people you can look at cropped trousers which may well fit her better coming down to the right place on her leg. Also look online at Cotton Traders which have trousers in many leg lengths.