Oh dear! Denial

Gnasher

Feb 22, 2017
I feel so much for you and the situation you find yourself in. I fear I shall be in a similar situation within the next few weeks and would welcome some positive comments from other people. My husband has driven for more than 58 years: hgv, Psv, and lots of others but his driving is now a concern. He rarely goes higher than 3 rd gear. Forgets where certain controls are, eg heater, blower, air con, etc. Does not always notice things, will drive into pot holes etc. I know if he is told not to drive anymore he will be so angry and I will likely be the butt of that anger.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

McPhee

Feb 10, 2017
Near Rotherham South Yorkshire
I feel so much for you and the situation you find yourself in. I fear I shall be in a similar situation within the next few weeks and would welcome some positive comments from other people. My husband has driven for more than 58 years: hgv, Psv, and lots of others but his driving is now a concern. He rarely goes higher than 3 rd gear. Forgets where certain controls are, eg heater, blower, air con, etc. Does not always notice things, will drive into pot holes etc. I know if he is told not to drive anymore he will be so angry and I will likely be the butt of that anger.

Sent from my iPad

Hi Gnasher
Your situation sounds so much like mine. He also was HGV and an excellent driver. Been driving since he was 18 as well now he's in his early 70's. The letter came, he had a massive hissy fit then once he calmed down suddenly said he wasn't going to Leeds, if the assessment was more locally, Sheffield, Doncaster or Rotherham, he would attend but he isn't going to Leeds. My answer was then let's get rid of the car and that's that. There's no where he goes now that we can't walk or get the bus and I have kept pointing this out to him. I think I have managed to get through to him so I believe we may have turned a corner! Fingers crossed. We go on holiday soon so hopefully the car will go after we get back.
Good luck with your situation too.

Oh Knickers

Nov 19, 2016
Driving

When I got concerned about mother's driving, with the agreement of the rest of the family, I wrote to the DVLA. Mother had refused an assessment, refused GP's advice on not driving and had damaged every part of her car - although in a minor way.

Having given the timeline and the increasing incidents of damage DVLA took her licence away.

What I could not live with was mother hitting someone.Was mother a happy bunny? No. And 18 months down the line is still cross despite having a 5 second memory generally.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
If someone genuinely doesn't understand that there's anything wrong with them (because they can't remember that they can't remember anything, and that they can no longer manage to do this or that). then it's not 'denial' as such.

My mother was one such - it was no use telling her however gently that she had a problem - she'd just deny it and get upset/angry, so we soon stopped and just worked around it as best we could.
Easier said than done, though, I know.

McPhee

Feb 10, 2017
When I got concerned about mother's driving, with the agreement of the rest of the family, I wrote to the DVLA. Mother had refused an assessment, refused GP's advice on not driving and had damaged every part of her car - although in a minor way.

Having given the timeline and the increasing incidents of damage DVLA took her licence away.

What I could not live with was mother hitting someone.Was mother a happy bunny? No. And 18 months down the line is still cross despite having a 5 second memory generally.

Oh Knickers, this sounds very much like my man. Getting worse by the week but hopefully he now realises the car has to go. We have a holiday coming soon so will put things in motion once we get back. Fingers crossed anyway!! Best laid plans and all that.

SouWester

Dec 11, 2012
Devon
My GP was so helpful

When the time came for my wife to give up driving we got the annual form from DVLA and I sent it to the GP with a note saying that if he needed to discuss it I would make an appointment. He knew that I did not want my wife to blame me for making her give up so he told me very firmly that it was none of my business and was strictly between the Doctor and DVLA. So that is what I have been able to tell my wife, a big relief.

The problem is that she keeps forgetting that she does not now have a licence and when she remembers/finds out again we get an evening of depression and anger. If anyone can give me any tips on how to get her to remember or even just accept the situation I would love to hear from them.

McPhee

Feb 10, 2017
Grrrrrrrr

We had a wonderful holiday but since we got back he's been all over the place. Today culminated in him storming out with the dog and me having a good cry on the phone to his daughter who, I must say, is being an absolute gem and has even offered to let me stay at hers for a couple of days and she will stay with her dad. Don't know how he would react to that but not well I guess.
If I didn't know it's due to his illness, I would leave. I don't know how much more I can stand but who would look after him? I love him so much but hate the person he is sometimes. He shouts and has such an aggressive way of talking, he is right in my face too. It's awful, truly awful. This is so alien to me. He never used to shout, he was kind, caring, funny and my rock. Now I don't know who is going to be in residence when we get up in the morning. My stomach is in knots before I even get out if bed! Kalms don't work I can tell you lol.
I suppose things will settle down again soon. I thought it was just the change in routine but we have been back a week now and things aren't any better. Everything sets him off. He has a thing about my parents who are well into their 90s, though I know they haven't always been as they should but now it's as tho he can't wait for them to die. He constantly gets at me for visiting them and I only go every 2 to 3 days. There was a time when I went every other day but since the dementia kicked in properly I have had to cut the visits down. Good job my brother fills in the other days.
Sorry for this mega epistle but at least I've got a but of it off my chest. I think a trip to the doctors is looming for something to help me cope.

Oh Knickers

Nov 19, 2016
Oh McPhee, bless your cotton socks. This sounds tough.

Have you been in contact with either Alzheimer's society or Age UK? There are Clubs which your husband could attend. It sounds as though you could do with a bit of a break from each other.

Alzheimer's Society
Scroll down and put in your postcode and your local group should come up. I know that there have been changes in the organisation. If things are not working try the main number at the top of the page.
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/

Age UK
Not only do clubs but also can provide a companion who fits your hubby's interests. There is a charge.
http://www.ageuk.org.uk/

Snowdog

Apr 15, 2017
McPhee, you are a real gem and deserve lots of extra hugs. My path as a caregiver/carer is different is very different from that of many others on this forum, but in other ways it's the same horrible journey.

My husband has FTD (frontal temporal dementia), and I live in the Northern Rockies in Montana. I first noticed what was going on about ten years ago when some old car batteries that had been sitting in front of the garage for two years were gone. My husband decided they had been stolen and went out immediately to replace them. Two days later he said he had found them in the garage and must have forgotten.

He was angry all the time, and I understand walking on eggshells. He was never sorry, always had an excuse, made all kind of accusations. It didn't make any sense. I was pushing for evaluation and help from his doctor, and the only thing that happened was a notation on his chart that said mild memory loss and an assurance that it wasn't AD. It took four years and a change in doctors to get the evaluations and a diagnosis. It still doesn't change what he does, but it helps me to understand. He can still pass the simple screening test in the doctor's office.

The new doctor told me that there are three types of dementia patients: angry, laughing, and sobbing. That must be in the earlier stages! AD (as well as the others) is a long and horrible journey, devouring patients and families in its destructive path.

He went for an driving evaluation after I told the new doctor I would no longer ride in the car if he were driving. Doctors in Montana can't make that determination, but I was afraid he was going to kill someone. Going through red lights and stop signs is not okay. Fortunately, he wasn't driving most of the time. He got lost twice in white out blizzard conditions, once at night when he was picking me up from the ER. He hasn't driven for three years, and his license lapsed

There still is no such thing as a rational discussion with my husband. He now depends on me for decisions, anything involving memory. I still get the blame. I don't like it, but that's a part of his demented world. His short term memory is gone, but his long term memory is quite good. He doesn't remember having seen television programs multiple times. It's a bizarre lifestyle. He didn't learn much from the speech therapist, but I did! He is lacking executive functions such as cause and effect, organization, planning logic. His disposition is better.

It wasn't me, just as it isn't you. It's them and these inhumane diseases. I came very close to extricating myself from what was a very destructive relationship. I too was worried about who would care for him. I do take medication and probably couldn't cope if I didn't. He still thinks he'll get his license back and wants to do all kinds of things he physically can't do. I guess hope is good for him. I nod and say that's a good idea, but by the next morning he doesn't remember, and it's a clean slate.

Please take care of yourself.

InElysium

Mar 14, 2011
I know the feeling. My dad hasn't been officially diagnosed yet and as a very proud (and once fiercely independent and) self-righteous person, any suggestion he is in the wrong causes insult and arguments while he desperately and angrily tries to deny any accusations.

Never says sorry to any of the family, however if he was out in public with his fake personable facade on, he would be quick to uphold his pride and apologise without hesitation, but never at home. Always an answer to everything. If he was at home by himself and he did something wrong or dropped and smashed a plate, he would think of something to say that the kettle bumped into my arm or you washed your hair and it jinxed me...

He also has become very paranoid. If anyone is upstairs, he stands in the hallway for ages listening for any sounds. If we go out into the garden to hang clothes on the line he's spying from the window. If someone goes up or down the stairs or someone knocks on the door, he's spying. He has put up mirrors in the living room strategically placed so that he can see parts of the hallway and stairs from his armchair. We just play dumb and let him do whatever he wants for an easy life but that's what all the mirrors are for and not because he's vain!

You really couldn't make up half of the things he does...

Hamster Wheel

Apr 20, 2017
Derbyshire
Driving

With help from the consultant at the memory clinic Dad's licence wasn't renewed for a third time in November. (I didn't want to be stood outside a coroners court telling some poor family Dad thought he was a capable driver.) I dreaded the letter coming, but he took it surprisingly well, saying he didn't drive much anyway & it's was on the consultants advice. I had been hiding the keys for the past 9 months and when he wanted to go out I made some excuse saying I too needed something and I'd take him. He doesn't remember he's not allowed to drive so the charade goes on.

McPhee

Feb 10, 2017
Thank you

Oh McPhee, bless your cotton socks. This sounds tough.
I haven't been in touch with anyone. He won't hear of an outsider helping or even accept that help may be needed. I have been to the doctors though and now have some anti depressants to try to help me at least stay calm. I broke down in the doctors, mainly I think because we had had a row that morning and I was really upset. The doctor was really kind, we had a good chat and he gave me the pills. When I came out of the doctors he asked me what the doc said. Just said he thought I was stressed, hence the pills. His reply was I suppose it's my fault. I didn't answer, but since then he has tried hard to be reasonable and things have been quite calm for nearly a week. I think it was a bit of a shock for him to realise that I may be suffering as well. I told him I love him and realise it isn't his fault, it's the dementia. So far so good. I don't know how long it will last but I'm taking each day as it comes.
He didn't go for his driving assessment so expect the balloon to go up again when the letter comes to stop him driving. Oh happy days lol.

McPhee

Feb 10, 2017
McPhee, you are a real gem and deserve lots of extra hugs. My path as a caregiver/carer is different is very different from that of many others on this forum, but in other ways it's the same horrible journey.

My husband has FTD (frontal temporal dementia), and I live in the Northern Rockies in Montana. I first noticed what was going on about ten years ago when some old car batteries that had been sitting in front of the garage for two years were gone. My husband decided they had been stolen and went out immediately to replace them. Two days later he said he had found them in the garage and must have forgotten.

He was angry all the time, and I understand walking on eggshells. He was never sorry, always had an excuse, made all kind of accusations. It didn't make any sense. I was pushing for evaluation and help from his doctor, and the only thing that happened was a notation on his chart that said mild memory loss and an assurance that it wasn't AD. It took four years and a change in doctors to get the evaluations and a diagnosis. It still doesn't change what he does, but it helps me to understand. He can still pass the simple screening test in the doctor's office.

The new doctor told me that there are three types of dementia patients: angry, laughing, and sobbing. That must be in the earlier stages! AD (as well as the others) is a long and horrible journey, devouring patients and families in its destructive path.

He went for an driving evaluation after I told the new doctor I would no longer ride in the car if he were driving. Doctors in Montana can't make that determination, but I was afraid he was going to kill someone. Going through red lights and stop signs is not okay. Fortunately, he wasn't driving most of the time. He got lost twice in white out blizzard conditions, once at night when he was picking me up from the ER. He hasn't driven for three years, and his license lapsed

There still is no such thing as a rational discussion with my husband. He now depends on me for decisions, anything involving memory. I still get the blame. I don't like it, but that's a part of his demented world. His short term memory is gone, but his long term memory is quite good. He doesn't remember having seen television programs multiple times. It's a bizarre lifestyle. He didn't learn much from the speech therapist, but I did! He is lacking executive functions such as cause and effect, organization, planning logic. His disposition is better.

It wasn't me, just as it isn't you. It's them and these inhumane diseases. I came very close to extricating myself from what was a very destructive relationship. I too was worried about who would care for him. I do take medication and probably couldn't cope if I didn't. He still thinks he'll get his license back and wants to do all kinds of things he physically can't do. I guess hope is good for him. I nod and say that's a good idea, but by the next morning he doesn't remember, and it's a clean slate.

Please take care of yourself.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. It was good to know that it's not only me that feels like leaving. Our situations sound very similar don't they? I have meds now and once they kick in properly hope that they will help to keep me calm. Here's hoping!

McPhee

Feb 10, 2017
Update!. Not posted for a while now. We continue with the ups and downs. OH refused to go on his appointment to memory clinic so chap arranged to come to see him. he was in a strop so didn't do too well with the tests. The results were a good bit lower than the 16 of the time before. Upshot was a change of medication. Only just started them so watch this space! Had a terrible weekend. As I've previously mentioned, my parents are very old and I got to see them only twice a week now instead of every other day because of the problems it causes at home. Well, I popped to mum n dads on Saturday afternoon. Left the house just after 3 pm and was back before 4 pm. My goodness. Walked straight into a storm of abuse and accusations of having an affair. Went on for a while with me just making a cuppa and trying to change the subject but to no avail. He slept in the spare bed that night and was stroppy on Sunday but by today things are back to normal thank goodness.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I think it's not necessarily denial as such, which implies that the person is aware, , but refuses to admit it.
With dementia, I think it's more often the case that the person genuinely doesn't think there is anything wrong with them - because they can't remember that they can't remember anything, if that makes sense.

The first time I knew my mother had something really wrong, it wasn't just old age forgetfulness, was when she phoned her bank about something - she'd always been very clued up about finances - but could not remember, literally the instant she'd put the phone down, what they'd said.

If she'd been able to remember that incident, then being an inveterate worrier, she would have worried herself into a right old tizz about it. But within a minute or so she had evidently forgotten it completely. (Just as well, really!) This is what I mean about being unable to remember that you can't remember.

Having to repeat the same things endlessly, or having to endlessly answer the same question, can be extremely wearing and very likely make you want to scream. The only way found to cope with my FiL (endless same question, I once counted 35 times in one hour) was to make a sort of separate compartment in my head where I could go on answering nicely, but mechanically. I could not show the slightest irritation since he was sometimes apt to fly into really terrifying rages.

Newanne

May 1, 2010
clitheroe
Sounds so familiar - my hubby, 73y, has been showing worrying signs for a couple of years now.. At 1st he worried and when I plucked up courage to talk about it he said he would think about visiting doctors. But no he wouldn't go, saying it was just his age. I'm sure it's not, he has changed so much. He still drives and to others he seems fine but.......... He cannot make decisions he struggles with any sort of organising, paperwork etc. He find it very difficult to concentrate or follow a conversation, if it to quick. He asks me to explain things all the time. He gets things confused, mixing two events up or thinking he did something when it was me that did it. Gets cross saying I never told him something when I have told him. Sorry I'm rambling. He will not go to doctors and says its just him not paying attention. I had a read of this thread a few days age, thank you so much, made me see it was no good me trying to make him see he had a problem, he just can't see it. I changed my approach, try to keep him calm, lot of reassurance, repeat things. It really help. I'm sure there will come a time when we have to get a diagnosis but until then I'm trying. Thank you so much for read this ramble.