Confirmation???

di65

Feb 28, 2013
new zealand
I have just come back from a visit with my husband. For a while now I have suspected that he no longer knows who I am - apart from a friendly person who always gives him a hug and a kiss when I see him. Today he looked at me and smiled and asked if I knew when Diana was coming :(. I mumbled something about her coming later, but was very close to tears as this seems to be the confirmation of another phase of his illness. He is still A1 physically, so it is so cruel.

On a brighter note; this time next month I will in London - woohoo, can't wait :D

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
I am so sorry that you and your husband are going through this. Even though you suspected it, the realisation that he no longer knows who you are must hit very hard.

I'm very glad that you have such an exciting trip planned and hope you are able to relax and enjoy yourself.

Zana

May 12, 2016
That is a heartbreaking point to be at.

My husbands photo is next to his mothers bed. In it he is wearing his motorcycle leathers , she regularly says his name and points at the photo so when he visits he always wears his motorcycle leathers to help her make the connection otherwise she wouldnt know who he was.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
The fact that he mentioned your name shows you are uppermost in his mind. Although my husband always knows my name occasionally he can't place my role correctly - girl friend, extra help, sister - have all cropped up. I don't think it is as simple as not recognising you it's more about rationalising where you fit in to his current situation. Given that he usually doesn't know where he is or what year it is that can't be easy.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OH thought I was the carer several times, seemed OK with it, but wanted to know when his wife would be back!

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
As GrannieG says, it might not be permanent.

There are times when my husband doesn't know me but I find these times are fleeting. He knows me as his wife more often than not.

di65

Feb 28, 2013
new zealand
OH thought I was the carer several times, seemed OK with it, but wanted to know when his wife would be back!

Hi there Spamar can't wait to catch up again - on your side of the world this time. I did reply to your email, hopefully it worked this time :)

optocarol

Nov 23, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Hi there Spamar can't wait to catch up again - on your side of the world this time. I did reply to your email, hopefully it worked this time :)

Similar thing happened to me today Di and I've been thinking the same for a while. Just got in the car when OH said grumpily, "Carol's got my car, just helped herself." I made some non-committal reply, hopefully in a sympathetic tone. He said no more, but it's not the first time. Sometimes his comments are the sort you'd make to a girlfriend.
I guess I'm getting used to it. I understand though.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
I am coming to that realisation as well Diana, although as Grannie G says, I think it comes and goes. He hasn't used my name for at least 18 months. He greets everyone with a cheery 'Oh hello!' I've realised, so it sounds as though he recognises them. An OT said he's always been good at concealing his confusion.
A visitor was trying to have a conversation with him the other day and afterwards told me that he had said he didn't know if he had a daughter. I think that upset me more for some strange reason as he's always been very close to my stepdaughter.
My husband still says he loves me and I think that what often remains is the emotion even though he may not be exactly sure who I am and that's a consolation.

Glad you have got a holiday in the UK to look forward to. Hope it's wonderful.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joins