Appointee

Murper1

Jan 1, 2016
Has anyone become an appointee for their PWD? I'd appreciate letting me know how it works and what was involved.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
If you mean a DWP appointee I did it for my mother and wife at different times. Two ladies from the DWP came to our house looked over the situation, looked at the letters from the clinic and asked a few questions, we signed a piece of paper and job done.
Other than allowing me to deal with the DWP on their behalf I don't recall it let me do anything else, it's not a POA or anything other than when dealing with the DWP.
K

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
As Kevin says, a simple form to fill in and you can manage the person's pension. I was given a choice of it being paid into a new account in my name but as my husband's pension went into our joint account there was no need.

They visited me at the nursing home to fill in the paperwork.

Murper1

Jan 1, 2016
Thank you both. Yes, I was meaning DWP appointee to manage the state pension for my Mother. From what you say, it seems straightforward enough, though it looks as if I need to get a load of paperwork together before the interview. Thanks again.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Thank you both. Yes, I was meaning DWP appointee to manage the state pension for my Mother. From what you say, it seems straightforward enough, though it looks as if I need to get a load of paperwork together before the interview. Thanks again.

All I was asked to show was the past couple of months bank statements for the account my mum's state pension was paid into as that was the only benefit she received. As I had no formal diagnosis of AZ there was just a letter from the memory clinic to the GP (I was copied in) saying they'd tested her and she had a significant mental impairment, I don't recall being asked for anything else.
With my wife I don't remember being asked for anything other than the letter from the memory clinic, I don't think they even wanted bank statements but she didn't get a state pension (at the time) just DLA and mobility allowance.
Certainly there was no "load" of paperwork involved. The ladies from the DWP just looked at the situation and made there decision.
They did ask the usual questions like if my wife knew where to get a bus from and who the prime minster was, total fail, as was the "could you make me a cup of tea" test, embarrassing fail, forms signed and off they went.
K

Greycardi

Sep 26, 2015
Hi Kevinl, please can you explain in more detail about the 'could you make me a cup of tea' question? I am trying to second-guess my Mum's chances of passing a mental capacity test - probably a waste of mental energy on my part but....

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
They asked my wife to make one of them a cup of tea, it put us in different rooms so one could talk to me separately and the other watch my wife make a cup of tea. She put a spoon of coffee in a cup and filled it from the cold tap and gave it to the DWP lady, no offer of sugar or milk just cold water and coffee. It kind of answers all the questions about whether she could manage to cope alone and without constant supervision.
Other questions like how much is a pint of milk, £5 apparently according to my wife and London being about 1,000 miles away tell them all they need to know.
My mum's was the best, they asked her what my (late) dad's name was and after a minutes thinking about it she turned round to me as asked "Kevin, what was your dad's name?" Same as mine I reminded her:)
These people have a lot of experience and can figure out the situation pretty quickly, it often isn't that difficult, sadly.
K

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
Just to agree that it was a very straightforward procedure. The lady who came did not ask my mum to do anything, I believe that she could "Just tell", she was sympathetic, and it was all done and dusted quickly. My only issue was that, in spite of all the paperwork being done, when I telephoned the DWP on the first few occasions, I was not on the system, and it took a few months of them doing some administrative juggling to locate the forms which had been completed by our visitor, all a bit unnecessary.

katelucy

Jan 22, 2017

Hi there
I used to be a visiting officer with DWP, one of my roles was filling forms in for appointees, basically at the visit we were just assessing whether the person had capacity to manage his/her own affairs - paying bills, answering questions about their benefits in person or on the phone, dealing with day to day paperwork. Usually it was clear at a visit whether it was the case or not by a few simple questions and general chat. Our responsibility also covered what an appointee's duties entailed ie ensuring that benefits were used appropriately and for the benefit of the customer. DWP appointeeship only covers benefits but is useful when trying to deal with the DWP who without it, may only deal with the customer themselves - often impossible! I think the paperwork you will need will be ID for you and your mum. They may also do a benefit check to ensure mum is getting everything she is entitled to - for this they may need to see bank statements, evidence of occupational pension and savings but if she's getting everything she's entitled to already they will just do the appointeeship.
Hope this helps.

Murper1

Jan 1, 2016
Great information thank you all again. This has really helped me to worry a lot less about tomorrow's interview with DWP.

It will surely take only a second or two for her to realise mum's ability as mum can't talk at all,walk very well or do anything for herself. Of course it is also the very morning my hubs decided to book his car in the garage and so I am taxi driver for everyone, before helping get mum up, washed, dressed, tabletted and fed, before the DWP lady at 10! What are the chances of looking decent, smelling sweet and having a reasonably tidy house (... teenagers!). Ha ha ha ha!

No....I'm not going to worry I'm not I'm not :cool: !

Murper1

Jan 1, 2016
All done!

It all went well I think. Was still clearing away breakfast things when the DWP worker arrived. She was really nice. I took her in to meet mum who had just finished being washed and was just starting breakfast. The DWP worker didn't want to spend much time with mum so she just needed to see some evidence of ID, then went through how the system works and filled out the form. All signed and sorted out within 40 minutes. Hope this helps someone else who is thinking about doing this for the person they look after.