Further help or guidance please

Beannie

Aug 17, 2015
East Midlands
Hi

This post is really continuing on from my previous two. As mentioned previously my OH has been given 4 weeks notice to leave his Care Home because of what they describe as 'Challenging Behaviour' Currently the LA pay his fees and I pay the LA our contribution every 4 weeks. I have today visited a Care Home that would fit his needs like a glove. They have trained Dementia and Parkinsons Staff, some of the Staff have been Dementia Friend trained. They are currently turning a room into a sensory room and seem well able to deal with challenging behaviour. Their fees are based on how much care someone needs and I won't know how much that will be until he has been assessed later this week. I think it will be above what the LA say they are prepared to pay. Iam unable to pay top up fees so am wondering if anyone has first hand knowledge of this and am I right in thinking that the LA cannot put a cap on fees it has to be based on an individuals needs and if I can prove this home would suit his needs (He has early onset Parkinsons Disease and early onset Alzheimers Dementia diagnosed 7 years ago when he was 57) they could be forced to pay. I find all this such a minefield and really do not know where to go to find out the correct information. Any ideas please? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Last edited:

onlyme1

Sep 10, 2011
scarborough
Hi beannie. Not sure how much help this is. When my parents needed a care home 3 yrs ago, I looked around a few. The one I really wanted needed top ups and it looked like we couldn't go for it, however, the LA negotiated with the home and they agreed to take mum and dad without top ups. I was thrilled with this, and still am. Didn't you say S117 aftercare applied? Sounds like your gut feeling says this is The One, so I'd fight tooth and nail for it if I were you. X

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
The LA have to offer at least one place which meets the person's needs without top-up. If the person's needs are particularly complex then that may well mean they have to up their 'usual' budget. However, if you feel that this particular home is the only suitable one, and the LA consider a less expensive option is equally suitable, then it will be up to you to make the case for the home you prefer.

It's not your fault (or his) that your dad has especially complex needs, but LAs are desperately trying to stretch their inadequate funds to meet ever-increasing demands so they have no choice but to try and make the money go as far as possible.

Beannie

Aug 17, 2015
East Midlands
Hi beannie. Not sure how much help this is. When my parents needed a care home 3 yrs ago, I looked around a few. The one I really wanted needed top ups and it looked like we couldn't go for it, however, the LA negotiated with the home and they agreed to take mum and dad without top ups. I was thrilled with this, and still am. Didn't you say S117 aftercare applied? Sounds like your gut feeling says this is The One, so I'd fight tooth and nail for it if I were you. X

Hi onlyme1 thanks for responding. Again, in my ignorance, what is S117? I am going to fight tooth and nail for this home. Your post has given me some hope so many thanks.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Beannie
I have no experience of your situation, so don't want to offer any 'advice'
except to suggest you call the AS helpline as the folk there have a lot of knowledge and contacts
0300 222 1122 or by email at helpline@alzheimers.org.uk.
•Helpline opening hours:
•Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
•Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
•Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm
best wishes

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...what is S117?"

s117 refers to section 117 of the mental health act, it obliges councils and the NHS to provide aftercare services, including residential care, for people who have been discharged from hospital having been detained for treatment under s3 of the act.

The normal route to s117 is that the person is detained under s2 for 28 days and then for 6 months under s3.

If your OH has not been detained under s2 then s117 is not appropriate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa