Any help please?

Clanic

Mar 21, 2017
Dad has had dementia 14 years, he's been in a Nursing Home for 4, 3 weeks ago he was admitted to hospital and ended up with pneumonia in there, we were actually told he was going to pass overnight but 3 weeks later, he's back in his nursing home but just asleep the whole time, he becomes semi conscious at meal times and eats a little but that's it, although he's over the pneumonia, he's far less responsive now, he literally can't move a muscle in his body anymore and is in bed the whole time. I feel guilty because I want him to give up, he would hate to be this way and it's tough on my 85 year old Mum too.
Does this sound like he's near the end? I haven't seen him awake for a week now. Thank you

Merrymaid

Feb 21, 2014
Dad has had dementia 14 years, he's been in a Nursing Home for 4, 3 weeks ago he was admitted to hospital and ended up with pneumonia in there, we were actually told he was going to pass overnight but 3 weeks later, he's back in his nursing home but just asleep the whole time, he becomes semi conscious at meal times and eats a little but that's it, although he's over the pneumonia, he's far less responsive now, he literally can't move a muscle in his body anymore and is in bed the whole time. I feel guilty because I want him to give up, he would hate to be this way and it's tough on my 85 year old Mum too.
Does this sound like he's near the end? I haven't seen him awake for a week now. Thank you

Sorry to hear you and your parents have been having such an awful time. It really is the most difficult thing to watch a loved one go through, and many of us suffer guilty feelings for wanting this terrible process to end. Unfortunately there is no definitive answer as to when the end will come as each individual responds uniquely to the disease. Best to consult your father's GP to seek a professional opinion of where he is in relation to end of life care, but be prepared even Doctors find it difficult to predict. Best wishes xx

Babymare01

Apr 22, 2015
Hello there Clanic. Like your dad my mum is now bed ridden. Barely opens eyes sleeping majority of time and can just about move her arms. She does still eat well but even eating her eyes are closed. Is she at the end of life? I don't think so. Is it a further step towards end of life? Yes I think so. Mum has been like this since September last year and is proving what a fighter she has been all her life.
Like you I pray the end comes quickly. So easy to say but so hard to do - please don't feel quilty for wanting the end to come - I pray it will for mum( and yes feel the quilt to :) )

I am lucky that mums care is exceptional in her nursing home - for that I am grateful. But oh what an evil illness this is not just to the PWD but those close.

I am no expert but I can offer a hug, a shoulder and to say I truelly understand what you are going through xxx
c

Lets_Stop_Time

Aug 23, 2015
My mother in law in the same way and has been for I think a few months, its hard to remember it seems to all blur together. Its not a comfort but just wanted to comment so you know you are not alone on this journey.