Death certificate

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Dad died recently and I was pleased (if that is the right choice of word!) that the GP put 2 primary causes of death...sepsis and advanced dementia. Dad was unable to maintain fluid intake that this was due to his dementia and inability to understand that he needed to drink for the infections and his kidneys so in my view dementia also caused his death. For statistics and recording the true extent of dementia I am glad Dad's GP felt putting it as a primary cause was important.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello love.dad.but..

I am glad Dad's GP felt putting it as a primary cause was important.

I agree.

My husband`s death certificate stated Alzheimers and pneumonia.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Dad died recently and I was pleased (if that is the right choice of word!) that the GP put 2 primary causes of death...sepsis and advanced dementia. Dad was unable to maintain fluid intake that this was due to his dementia and inability to understand that he needed to drink for the infections and his kidneys so in my view dementia also caused his death. For statistics and recording the true extent of dementia I am glad Dad's GP felt putting it as a primary cause was important.

Yes, I agree with you.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
My wife's death certificate only had Lewy Body Dementia as cause of death.

As the out of hours doctor was typing on his laptop I said that was what I would like as it would help to focus research on LBD.

I don't know how specific he would have been if I had not said that.

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
My mum's cause of death was listed as Advanced Alzheimers Dementia, and nothing more. The doctor commented that it was important that these cases were recorded as such.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
My Mum's certificate merely said Frailty of Old Age and this reflected her death more than saying Mixed Dementia would have done. In her case the Dementia was undoubtably secondary to her other ailments but together they were culmative. I would not want her death to be merely noted as a statistic.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
I asked the doctor to record vascular dementia on the death certificate because I believe that they use the statistics to predict future health demands and research areas etc. The doctor wasn't aware that what she wrote mattered in any way.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Our GP put Dementia as my father's cause of death and there had never been any question of dementia when he was alive.

I had had to find him a house in our village because he had sold his bungalow privately for a ridiculous sum believing the purchasers were his friends and he would stay there living with them.
After he came to live near us he was burgled twice, accused me of stealing everything, but the other GP had said to me there was nothing they could do about him until he started to run round the village with no trousers! He would knock on his neighbours's doors in the early hours and they were cross with me...of course. But I couldn't stop him.
He received a pacemaker aged 95, reduced one of his CARE PLAN carers to tears when he went home, refused all Care visits until the agency refused to visit, and he had to move into a nearby Nursing home. It had been difficult for me to keep an eye on him as I was also dealing with the early stages of my husband's Alzheimers, already challenging . My father DIED AGED 98.

If someone had told me he had dementia, I would have understood his behaviour better, but my father had been cantankerous all his life, and I didn't know about dementia......THEN!

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
In retrospect, I believe my father had dementia all/most of his life. Cantankerous is certainly the word for it! He was actually diagnosed in his early 80s. (Docs also found a hole in his heart when he was in his 70s!)
It's nice to think someone else has had this problem.