Mum has made her final choice

Merrymaid

Feb 21, 2014
Following a few months of eating & drinking very little, Mum is now on day 4 of not eating at all, she has been bed bound for the last 6 weeks. She is accepting juice at the moment but in decreasingly small amounts. I am very lucky in that I live within walking distance of the CH and have increased my daily visits to 3 times per day to cover meal times to assist with what was a lengthy process when she was still accepting food. But will be dropping back to twice daily but longer visits as I work part time and can't afford to give up the job. I have been fortunate to enjoy little pamper sessions with her, where I massage sweet scented lotions into her hands and face, I read to her, listen to her favourite tunes or just sit and hold hands quietly. Her pain is being controlled and although she experiences boughts of anxious restlessness she appears overall peaceful, calm and comfortable. The CH are also happy for my little dog to accompany me, he was ecstatic to see her again but sadly she doesn't recognise him, however he just lies quietly under her bed during our visits. I know things may change and possibly become more difficult for both of us but right now I feel blessed that things are peaceful. :eek:

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Can only echo Cat27's thoughts,blessed is your mum to be so peaceful, may this continue for her on her final journey, my thoughts are with you,at this very sad time. X

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
If I was your mother I would consider myself so fortunate to have such a devoted daughter and be grateful that in my final daays here I was being so lovingly cared for.
I, too, hope that she remains peaceful. Rey best wishes. x

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I have this lovely image in my mind of peace and love....cling on to this.
If I could be there with you to hold your hands I would, so if it helps.....pretend I'm sitting under the bed beside your little dog.

You are doing a wonderful job and it's the hardest one there is..x.x.

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
My thoughts are with you and am hoping and praying that your dear Mum stays peaceful on her final journey. What a loving daughter you are.x

Merrymaid

Feb 21, 2014
Today was Mum's 86th birthday. Not much has changed since my last post here, she has now completed her course of anti-biotics for a chest infection which appears to have cleared. She is till taking some drinks but only occasional small tastes of food by mouth, she has started to exhibit a little difficulty swallowing liquids in the last few days. She is experiencing unpleasant bouts of sweating, but we are having some unseasonably hot weather which isn't helping. Mostly incoherent mutterings and groans but yesterday had a very lucid brief conversation with me, which was startling but sadly very short. Still mainly calm and peaceful with only a few restless anxiety moments.:eek:

VickiW

Dec 29, 2016
This is so sad and yet so calming and wonderful, to know your Mum is so loved and that she is peaceful and calm, because of your love for her. Thinking of you x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Merrymaid

Feb 21, 2014
Following on from Mum's birthday she had a couple of reasonably trouble free days. However her pain and discomfort levels increased bringing on further issues with restless anxiety and distress. She was also finding increasing difficulty swallowing with unpleasant & frightening bouts of choking. Yesterday evening she began with the syringe driver and has settled again to calm resting. Popped in this morning to find her snoozing peacefully and will be making my way back soon to do our daily pamper session with my faithful four legged companion, who now has an expanding fan base of fellow residents. :eek:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
morning Merrymaid
just to send best wishes to you your mum and your four legged friend - amazing how having a dog about is cheering and comforting

Merrymaid

Feb 21, 2014
A picture paints a thousand words.........

my days :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_1061.jpg
    IMG_1061.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 627

Merrymaid

Feb 21, 2014
Mum passed this morning........

After 12 hours of heartbreakingly laboured breathing, accompanied by rattling congestion, Mum finally succumbed to this awful disease this morning, following 12 years of battle. Baz and I were with her having started our vigil on Tuesday when she had the syringe driver applied. She was thankfully pain free although the physical effects were distressing to witness, she died peacefully in my arms washed in my tears.

Thank you for your support during this tragic journey.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I'm so sorry. We are perhaps a few days behind you on our journey with our mum and it has been helpful to follow your journey over the last few weeks.

I hope that the fact that mum is now free from this disease after 12 years brings some comfort. I'm sure Baz is a great comfort too x