Template letter to inform of deputyship

deemjay

Feb 15, 2017
Hi! Does anyone have a template covering letter they used when informing financial institutions of their Court of Protection deputyship? I have quite a few to send out but not sure how to word them. Thanks in advance.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
First contact the institutions and explain that you are a COP deputy and wish to take over administration of xxx's affairs.
They may well have standard form for you to fill in else they will tell you what to do.

deemjay

Feb 15, 2017
First contact the institutions and explain that you are a COP deputy and wish to take over administration of xxx's affairs.
They may well have standard form for you to fill in else they will tell you what to do.

Hi Nitram, I've done that. They want me to send certified copies of my court order along with a covering letter. I'm just after an example letter I can use and tweak for each individual organisation.

Rettaere

Sep 30, 2014
Liverpool
Copies of deputyship order

I was sent about 4 cop deputyship orders. I sent them out to main people. I did ring and inform first and they told me what to do. Quite easy and had no bother at all.
Hugs Retta x

And247

Aug 21, 2014
Northumberland
Hi Deemjay

As deputy I received multiple original court order copies from the CoP to send out to the interested parties (didn't need certified copies as that tends to relate to being an LPA when you only get one authority order)

I just used a simple covering letter as per:

Bank Accounts

Dear Sir,

The Court of Protection has made an order appointing myself as a Deputy for the Property and Affairs of my father Mr Firstname Surname who has bank accounts with you.

I would like to apply for full access by Telephone and Internet to the two accounts he has with you in his name.

For security purposes I would also like Firstname Surname’s existing telephone access, and any cards allocated to him for his accounts with you, be cancelled as he does not have mental capacity to use them.

I enclose an original order from the Court of Protection for your reference and I would be grateful if you could safely return this to me once you have reviewed it as required.

Many thanks for your assistance.
Yours Faithfully

For his main bank current account letter I also requested a debit card and cheque book to save time.

I always provided account numbers and reference information etc. in the letter and my phone number for any queries etc.

I also put the Court order in an A4 plastic wallet in the main letter envelope which also had a label on it stating 'Original Court Oder documents please return safely'.

The A4 letter envelope was always sent registered and signed for post.

I modified the above letter depending on the institution I was writing to.
for example:

Occupational pension:

Dear Sir,
The Court of Protection has made an order appointing myself as a Deputy for the Property and Affairs of my father Mr Firstname Surname who has a Occupational Pension with you.

My father is incapable of managing his own affairs following a stroke which caused significant brain damage and dementia. He now resides in a care home that can look after his significant needs.

Could you please amend your files to show that I am his CoP appointed Deputy and I will deal with all aspects of his Pension on his behalf. All correspondence should only be with me at the above address.

I enclose an original order from the Court of Protection for your reference and I would be grateful if you could safely return this to me once you have reviewed it as required.

Yours Faithfully

HMRC:
Dear Sir,
The Court of Protection has made an order appointing myself as a Deputy for the Property and Affairs of my father Mr Firstname Surname who pays tax.

Could you please note that all future correspondence for my father’s tax affairs should be with myself.

I enclose the order by the Court of Protection for your reference and I would be grateful if you could safely return this to me once you have reviewed it as required.

Yours Faithfully

In all I sent out 9 letters like this to different institutions and all went very well no issues. Most returned the Court order by registered post almost immediately and then a formal reply letter with forms to fill in or instructions etc. a little while later. (It's a good idea to verify all the pages are still present on the returned orders and that its the original you sent not their photocopy returned by mistake! I also kept a log of which copy was with which institution when it was sent and returned to avoid issues in all the confusion of multiple letter writing).

Hope this helps.

KAT365

Oct 19, 2016
Templates

And247,
Thank you so much for these templates, as I have also just received my Deputyship and am just starting to contact the financial etc institutions. For the main accounts I telephoned to make an appointment with the relevant local branches (I live close to my relative, so this was my preferred option).

Deemjay,
Hope all goes smoothly for you.