Incredibly deep sleep that you can't be woken from. Has anyone else experienced this?

Bidle

Mar 27, 2017
My mother's 81 and was diagnosed nearly 8 years ago. Last night my father came in to find her sitting on the floor, leaning on the sofa and fast asleep. He'd been in the flat with her the whole time, but in the kitchen for a few minutes. He couldn't wake her, so called the on-site carers (they're in a supported retirement village). They couldn't wake mum either, so called an ambulance. The paramedics couldn't wake her either.

To cut a long story short, mum finally woke up in hospital. She was completely fine and thought she'd just been asleep. She was discharged after they'd run basic tests on blood pressure, etc. Dad says the doctor said it was probably Alzheimer's related, so I was just wondering if anyone else has had this sort of experience? I've had a bit of a google and though I can find articles / news suggesting people with Alzheimer's can sleep more as it progresses, I haven't found anything that says such a deep intense sleep is normal. I'm concerned that it could have been something like a mini stroke, but don't want to alarm my father. I'm basically not too sure what to do (if anything!).

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Since my symptoms started 7 years ago I regularly , on a cyclical basis experience these episodes when I fall asleep, very heavily and cannot wake up, my consciousness changes and for me it is like having a fit without fitting. I can sleep for a long time but when I come round I sometimes remain very groggy for several days, other times I can seem to recover more quickly. I know I am not properly functioning and need to keep my environment as safe as possible and try and take myself to bed when I know such an episode is coming on.

Hope it helps
Best wishes
Sue:)

Bidle

Mar 27, 2017
Hi Sue, That does sound very similar to my mother's experience. Do you mind me asking if anyone's tried to wake you when you're so deeply asleep? In my mother's case, my father, two Care Assistants, 3 Paramedics and a whole raft of A&E staff failed. Thanks for replying. It's very kind of you.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi Sue, That does sound very similar to my mother's experience. Do you mind me asking if anyone's tried to wake you when you're so deeply asleep? In my mother's case, my father, two Care Assistants, 3 Paramedics and a whole raft of A&E staff failed. Thanks for replying. It's very kind of you.

I live alone so no they haven't but I think they'd have a hard job trying. It's like my brain just has to go through the process and I come out of it in my own time - have had to learn to give in to the sleep and not fight it. I'm a few decades younger than your Mum.:)

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Well you're not the only person to have experienced this. No answers, but these are some of the scenarios where my mother has experienced similar.

I can only say that it was 5 years ago when my Mum was completely comatose and could not be woken. Dr called and he couldn't wake her, transported to hospital and she 'slept' through all the various tests, being undressed etc. In that case it was caused by Bradycardia- very low blood pressure.

However she also has periods when she can not be roused when she is having a migraine, can't tell anyone, so unable to be prescribed medication and she 'closes down' with the pain.

Then there are the episodes of 'Altered states of Consciousness', which cause her to lose consciousness. We're past the stage where mother could undergo any investigations and the Dr thinks they could be migraines, or mini strokes /tias (and if they are there's no actual treatment) and then some are seizure-related, sometimes obvious because they are tonic-clonic , some are absences and others are just classed as lack of consciousness.

Depends what stage your mother is at, but if it's fairly early it might be worth pursuing your GP for some investigations, whereas for my mother at Stage 7d we don't want to put her through any unnecessary tests or treatments.

Last edited:

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
End of last year my mum was found unresponsive/unconscious. Paramedics couldn't rouse her so she was taken to A&E. she kind of woke up after a few hours. They gave her a CT scan, no stroke found, no explanation. After 3 days in hosp she was discharged back to the CH as "End of life".

Well, that was last October & mum is just how she was before. Today she kicked me with gusto while I put her socks & slippers back on after an abortive effort by the chiropodist, so no change there :rolleyes:

Lin x

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
OH had something similar twice, once on holiday and once in hospital, though he woke up pretty quickly. The doctor called it hypoactive delirium, and it's apparently common in dementia patients in a strange environment. Someone could be ill, in pain, dehydrated, confused or suffer from medication side effects. So you have to try and find out what caused it and treat it, ie hydrate someone or do a medication review. It's often diagnosed wrongly and also difficult to treat if the cause cannot be found.

Bidle

Mar 27, 2017
Well a big thanks to all. It's really lovely of you all to post and you've reassured me in lots of ways. Sometimes it's just good to realise she's not the only person who's had similar. I know it will reassure my dad to hear that it's not uncommon, but yes good advice and I will contact the GP in the morning and talk it through with her. My mum's symptoms have worsened since Christmas and we think she's moved into another phase. I'm no expert, but if there are 7 stages, I think she's now in 6. Thanks again to all. :)

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
I'm no expert, but if there are 7 stages, I think she's now in 6. Thanks again to all. :)
Somebody else might be able to point you to a link but here's a summary of the later stages and remember that many people can 'straddle' several stages at the same time.
The GDS Mid-Stage
Stage 5: Moderately Severe Cognitive Decline
People in this stage have major memory deficiencies and need some assistance to complete their daily activities (dressing, bathing, preparing meals). Memory loss is more prominent and may include major relevant aspects of current lives; for example, people may not remember their address or phone number and may not know the time or day or where they are.

Mid-Stage Stage 6: Severe Cognitive Decline (Middle Dementia)
People in Stage 6 require extensive assistance to carry out daily activities. They start to forget names of close family members and have little memory of recent events. Many people can remember only some details of earlier life. They also have difficulty counting down from 10 and finishing tasks. Incontinence (loss of bladder or bowel control) is a problem in this stage. Ability to speak declines. Personality changes, such as delusions (believing something to be true that is not), compulsions (repeating a simple behavior, such as cleaning), or anxiety and agitation may occur.

Late-Stage Stage 7:Very Severe Cognitive Decline (Late Dementia)
People in this stage have essentially no ability to speak or communicate. They require assistance with most activities (e.g., using the toilet, eating). They often lose psychomotor skills, for example, the ability to walk.

Bidle

Mar 27, 2017
Thanks Lemonjuice. She's definitely in stage 6 and has been for a while, but she's increasingly getting worse. Mostly she's happy though, so that's fantastic. :)

Timeout

Feb 10, 2012
This has jogged a memory for me

My mum has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's for going on 10 years now and she's in the very late stages, however what you say about deep sleep has jogged my memory and made me wonder whether there is a link to the deep and long sleep that my mother used to have back before she was diagnosed. She worked up until the age of 62 but used to get utterly exhausted. It wasn't unusual for her to get home from work, eat a meal and go to bed by 6pm where she'd sleep right around until 8am the following day.
She could never be woken and these episodes where she just had to go to bed and sleep became more and more regular even after she retired. She knew these 'episodes' we're coming and she would take herself off to bed where she'd 'reset' her sleep and then she'd be okay again for another few weeks.
She never complained,of headaches as such but would describe it as a 'funny head' she could never really explain what it was - no pain just fogginess. Once I remember her telling me she had falling lights in front of her eyes and at the time I just put it down to a migraine. To be honest I took little notice of her ailments as they just grew longer and longer she was always at the doctors with something.
Looking back it was the start of the Alzheimer's I suppose, she probably felt she wasn't well but couldn't really put her finger on what it was. She kept thinking her blood pressure meds weren't working.
I do think the deep periods of sleep have something to do with it though, the brain just switches off to conserve itself maybe. Interesting.

Bidle

Mar 27, 2017
Thanks Izzy. My mum ticks pretty much everything it says in stage 6, but thankfully she's not at 7 yet.

Timeout, it is interesting isn't it? My mum is the complete opposite though, as throughout her adult life she's always been an insomniac and used to wake 4 or 5 times a night. She always blamed it on having children. :D

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
My mum on stage 7-c had an episode of more than 72 hrs sleeping. She couldn't be waked by emergency, so she was on hospital getting IV fluid. She waked talking as she were on stage 6 for hours. It was like a good nap

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Bidle

Mar 27, 2017
I will tell my Dad about that. It's ever so reassuring to hear from others who have experienced this, even if it is odd! :)

Mog The Hog

Aug 4, 2013
My Mum has started to be very difficult to rouse now. If she wasn't woken up, then she would not get out of bed. And of course, getting her out of bed is tough too, as she has no idea or understanding of words now. Luckily, my parents moved in Feb to be closer to my sister, so now my Dad and sister can try and prise her opt of the bed together.

Snowdog

Apr 15, 2017
My husband has been in the ER several times because he was comatose. In his case, the problem was over medication.

Anneka

Apr 15, 2017
Yorkshire
We've had two episodes of complete unresponsiveness resulting in ambulances to hospital for mum. She slept for hours . The first time was fine when she woke up but the second time was aggressive and behaved very oddly

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

caregivertomom

Aug 10, 2018
Hello, The same thing just happened to my mother yesterday! She has not been diagnosed with Alzheimers but maybe the beginning of dementia, she is 78 years old. She had breakfast and everything was fine, then she went back to bed and could not be woken up. I tried really hard and she was barely responsive so we called the paramedics. They coukdn't get her out of this comotosed stage either but all her vital signs and were acceptable. Blood sugar a little high and blood pressure a little low but nothing alarming. They kept screaming out her name while nudging her but she barely responded. The paramedics asked me her wishes as to her wishes about reviving her if neccessary and I thought I was going to loose her! I cried and cried on my way to the emergency. 3 hours from the beginning of this episode she just snapped out of it without any intervention. She was completely alert and not disoriented. What mostly baffles the doctors is that she remembers the paramedis calling out her name really loud and me softly telling her I love her in her ear, and when I asked her why she didn"t respond she says she felt they were talking to someone else and couldn't understand why this lady who's name they were calling wasn't answering. My question to you is if your mom remembers your dad trying to wake her up.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @caregivertomom
a warm welcome to TP
I hope your mum and you are both fine today
and that you find TP supportive and helful
start your own thread when you're ready, with anything that's on your mind and folk will pop in with sympathy and suggestions

just to mention that this thread is over a year old, so members who responded may not see your post

you can check the date of a post by looking at its top left