But oh those lonely nights .........

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Scarlett, I'm so sorry you and Gloria are having such a rough time. What a lot of worry and stress for you when you least need it. Huge hug, only wish I could do something more practical. xxxxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Today is my 49th Wedding Anniversary. It's still my wedding anniversary, even though John is no longer here to share it with me. My darling Gloria was discharged from hospital, and promptly readmitted. I'm still trying to stay bright in her company, as she whispers "make me laugh", and I try - oh how I try.

She has had blood transfusions and should have her next chemo now, but is too weak. Casbow sweetie, I haven't disappeared, but I only post every week or so, as I am spending so much time with my best friend, who is fading fast.

Love to everyone xxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Of course it's still your anniversary, I hope you were able to have some happy thoughts from 49 years ago and not too many tears - hard I know. It must be so difficult trying to keep strong for Gloria, you are a wonderful friend. xx

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Fred is not so good these days, Scarlett. Don't think he has ever really recovered from his fall and hospital stay at New Year. His carers managed to get him to walk a few paces with one each sIde supporting him but he is usually moved in a wheelchair now. He is very sleepy all the time and have to wake him to help with his food as he no longer knows how to use a knife and fork. He will use a spoon for a while but resorts to using his fingers after a short time, which is Ok with solid foods but not so good with casseroles, rice puddings, etc! On the plus side, I usually get greeted with a smile before he dozes off again but then 10 mins later he can wake and be aggressive and rude. Still, he at least he is with me but it is àll a bit heartbreaking. I just thank God he is cared for so lovingly and well. Hope you and Gloria are as well as can be. xx

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Talking Point mobile app

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Fred is not so good these days, Scarlett. Don't think he has ever really recovered from his fall and hospital stay at New Year. His carers managed to get him to walk a few paces with one each sIde supporting him but he is usually moved in a wheelchair now. He is very sleepy all the time and have to wake him to help with his food as he no longer knows how to use a knife and fork. He will use a spoon for a while but resorts to using his fingers after a short time, which is Ok with solid foods but not so good with casseroles, rice puddings, etc! On the plus side, I usually get greeted with a smile before he dozes off again but then 10 mins later he can wake and be aggressive and rude. Still, he at least he is with me but it is àll a bit heartbreaking. I just thank God he is cared for so lovingly and well. Hope you and Gloria are as well as can be. xx

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Talking Point mobile app

Oh I'm sorry to hear that Fred isn't so good these days. As you say, thank God he is cared for so well. Gloria started her second lot of chemo today. It was delayed, because she was so ill with her other problems.

One of her daughters is so like her, caring, loving and hardworking, and I feel for her so much because she has had yet another blow. As well as working full time, and looking after Gloria, she has been regularly visiting the "man friend" who has bowel cancer.

Gloria divorced over 40 years ago, and her husband remarried, and then separated from his second wife, but stayed on good terms with her. Gloria's daughters, especially this one, Jane, kept regularly in touch. Last weekend Jane had a call from his ex second wife, to say that she couldn't reach him on the phone that day, or the day before, and didn't have a key to his flat, and could Jane pop round when she had the chance, as there might be something wrong with his phone.

Poor Jane. She went straight round, and arrived to find him lying in a chair, dead. Such a tremendous shock, on top of everything else. And unfortunately, other family members are leaving everything up to her to sort out. It seems so unfair that she should have to cope with so much.

I finally saw the surgeon who did my operation, and she said although the margin around the site of the cancer was not as deep as they would like, 1 mm instead of 2, she was satisfied that the cancer had been removed. She'll see me in 3 months, by which time she hopes the lump under my nose will have subsided, but I'm not too bothered if it doesn't - at least the cancer has gone.

Another friend has sent me an e-gift. She is taking me to a spa, the day before my birthday, for a luxury day. How kind, and lovely of her. I had a lovely anniversary last week. My grand-daughter came with me to see the Book of Remembrance, and leave some flowers for John, then we went out for lunch, and when we came home, looked at my wedding album, and read all the anniversary cards John had sent me.

Although I shed a few tears, we had a good laugh, which is just as it should be. Love to everyone. xxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
What a horrible shock for Gloria's daughter! Poor woman. And she already has so much on, trying to cope with her mum's illness and all. Life can be an absolute b***h at times.

However- I'm so glad to hear your own news from the surgeon. And also that you had a positive day with your granddaughter. She must be such a blessing to you at the moment. I know you are doing your best for Gloria, but do remember to take good care of Scarlett too!xx

Sent from my Moto G Play using Talking Point mobile app

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Life can be very cruel, and it so often seems to heap one lot of misery on top of others, almost like a test to see how much one can bear. Gloria and her daughter seem to have had more than their fair share lately, poor souls, and you are caught up in the maelstrom, Scarlett, but with all your own burdens as well. Glad you're going to have a bit of pampering and so relieved to hear the op on your lip was successful. xxxx

johijohi

Apr 25, 2017
Scars

I can second that Bio Oil (available at placed like amazon ) works decently for scars (don't expect miracles though) and somewhat decently on strechmarks (made my wifes softer but didn't go away)

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Hallo everyone. I hope you are all well. I've been supporting my darling Gloria, who has been so very poorly, and has needed umpteen blood transfusions. Her chemo ceased, as she wasn't considered well enough to continue, but we are hoping she can have a further session this week. She now weighs less than 7 stone.

Today is my 70th Birthday! Friends have been very kind, and I have been taken to lunches, dinners, a Spa Day, 42nd Street, and more to come. Today my grand-daughter and I had lunch out, then my son Skyped me from the USA, and some friends came this evening.

No word from my daughter. Heartbreaking, but I am blessed with love from so many kind friends. Love to you all. xxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm glad you had so many positives on your birthday Scarlett. I'm a bit late in wishing you a happy birthday!

I'm so sorry your friend is so poorly. I'm glad she has you to support her.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Belated Happy Birthday wishes Scarlett. It was good to read about the positives in your life but how sad the news is about Gloria. She is very lucky to have you as a friend.

Love,

Lyn T XX

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian.Hogan