A question about being a carer

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
I am my husband's carer, there's no question about that, but do I have to have something from the doctor to prove that? It's just something a friend said to me on the phone the other day. She said my husband's doctor should give me something signed to say I am his carer. Is that true? It's the first I've heard of it.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Evening Jenniferjean,

Not quite sure what your friend was getting at. My partner and I both signed a form at our surgery stating I am her carer which authorises me to chaperone her to appointments, sort out prescriptions, get blood test results and also gets me a free flu jab.
When I applied for carers allowance I don't remember needing anything from the doctor to confirm it, maybe someone else can confirm that either way.

Hope any of that helps.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
In relation to what? never heard of this, not sure what your friend is talking about. If you receive Carer's allowance then there is the proof, If you have not yet claimed for this, then maybe there is a form for the gp to fill in, not sure as it has been a few years since I made my claim for carer's allowance and honestly I have forgotten all the hoops and forms I had to fill in. Someone on here will know, hopefully they will post soon.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Well, I told the doc I was caring for him! And I saw doc write it on OHs notes, and it was also put on mine. However, that was a few years ago.

sah

Apr 20, 2009
Dorset
I just had a note put against my medical records that I was my husband's carer-by my GP. Meant I was offered flu jabs etc as was under 60 (then!) as well as being able to manage his appointments etc. Also meant I was contacted by the local support services that were linked to our surgery.

If you are still working-can also lead to some employment protection-others may know the fine details of that - but I could request time off for his appointments etc and not lose my job.

Last edited:

Susisuster

Mar 6, 2017
Carer

GPs do not give you anything, like someone else said if you get carers allowance you have that letter, I don't know in what circumstances you need to prove you are a carer? If you are living with someone with a diagnosis then you are a carer. One thing I have found helpful is the disabled rail card as if you go out for the day or weekend and want to go into attractions you get in free as a carer just by showing that card, we got in the tower of london, on the London eye and in loads of other things we don't get many perks so that is useful. If your oh names you as attorney on their power of attorney then you have that for when they lose capacity in banks etc.

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
The friend may have been thinking about 'Lasting Power of Attorney'. There is the financial one (very important) and another for 'health & well-being'. Both need to be considered, the former is a must IMO, the latter is optional (IMO) but could be useful to prevent decisions being taken out of your control.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I also have a laminated Carers Card given to me by Social services to carry in my wallet. Should I drop dead presumably on a search for my identity they would find it and know someone is dependent on me. In fact I got a second one which sits in a prominent spot under our TV for the same purpose.

Susisuster

Mar 6, 2017
I.c.e

Re the post about ID if something happens to you and people need to know you are a carer I have an app on my phone and I have put one on my Oh phone which even though the phone is locked the police paramedic etc can access the information mine that I am a carer my Oh his diagnosis his medication and my details.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
I can't remember exactly how I got them, but i have a card in my purse saying that I am a carer and with a phone number to ring if anything happened to me. In the hall near the front door I have a Carers Emergency plan. If anything happens at home everything needed is written in there. When my husband was first diagnosed nearly 10 years ago I was put in tough with Alzheimers Society and Age UK. Both did loads to help us get the services and help we needed or might need in the future Both can be contacted by phone. I think different areas do things differently but these two organisations will I know help. Other that that I don't have to do anymore than say to people that I am his carer. Nothing written specially by a doctor. Hope this helps.x

BazArcher

Feb 13, 2016
Lakenheath, Suffolk
Hiya Jenniferjean
Kinda lucky in regards Doctors not sure where your friend got the info but our doc has been fantastic and I've been placed on OH's notes as being the carer without actually asking so when I went in on an appointment I had the pleasant surprise of being told they would let me chaperone her to appointments.
And Casbow I too have the phone card which had a number to call I had to tell Suffolk careline our details plus who to contact in case of anything happening to me, does Colchester come under Suffolk or is that Essex :).

Baz

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Thank you Baxter1 and everyone else who has commented. I do intend to find out just what is available in my area as suggested. There has been a lot of good information given here.

I do have POA but hadn't thought about having anything on me in case something happened to me.