Dad suddenly crying

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Hi all, not posted for a while. Dad had been settled and cared for exceptional well in his new care home for approx 12 months. He suffers from Parkinson's and Lewy bodies. We as a family have been thrilled with the care Dad receives and have actually been able to continue with some normal family life due to the excellent care he receives. However he has started crying and I have been so upset as I think somewhere in his head he knows what is happening to him. He was never a person to cry and wondered if anybody else had any experience of this.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
It's heart-breaking isn't it?

It does seem to come in phases. Last November my husband was quite tearful and overwhelmed by things but couldn't really say why. He has some insight into his condition and I think the sense of loss and change does catch up with him.

Earlier in the year he'd been in hospital and after monitoring him for a couple of months they started him on a small dose of sertraline which helped his mood. When he started getting weepy again they increased the dosage and the crying disappeared again.

I find that, as well as the medication, just being there, holding a hand, reassuring and distracting with nice things (chat, music, pictures etc) helps lift his spirits

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Hi Lynn,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. Dad, so I thought, had no idea where he was, what he was doing, how his challenging behaviour has impacted on others, I suppose it made me feel better knowing he did not understand his behaviour. He was a decent man, never swore, never inappropriate sexual behaviour, just a true old fashioned man. It has really upset me that I/and the nursing staff feel that somewhere in his head he understands how ill he is. It really is heartbreaking when he does cry. The nursing staff are definitely keeping an eye on things and may prescribe anti depressants if it continues. It could be said that maybe it bothers me more than him, but I hate the fact that he is aware of his behaviour especially when it is so alien to him. The nursing staff said it could be that he is aware of what is ahead for him, this also upsets me as you can not have a conversation and reassure him. It really is a cruel illness. Sorry for the long rambling post but sometimes it helps to write and discuss with people who have the same experiences as yourself.

Moog

Jan 8, 2017
Kent. UK
Hi.

Mum has vascular dementia and most days gets upset and tearful. I think sometimes the world is just too confusing for her - even a fast-paced TV programme can unsettle her if she can't follow it.

She's on Sertraline 25mg per day - it's not a miracle drug but it takes the edge of her anxiety.

Parkinsons often leads to dementia and with dementia often comes "sundowning" - when the sun sinks in the sky in the afternoon the sufferer becomes very anxious and emotional.

With Mum her emotional responses are much like a toddler's. If she can't do something herself she gets weepy. If she's grumpy, she gets upset. If she's cold or too hot, she gets upset.

Distraction is the best route although at times I run out of things to say or do to divert her attention. Luckily, chocolate works - I never visit without an Easter bunny-shaped choc or something fan-shaped in choc. Just like a toddler, tears dry up at the sight of a naughty sweet treat.

Take care,

Moog x