My dear wife.

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
The responses here show TP. for what it truly is, such a deep well of compassion and experience.
I draw on it greedily with no shame.
Heartfelt thanks at this most difficult and sad time.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
It's a lonely and hard road, Gringo. Many of us would have been hard put to survive it without the collective arms & shoulders of Talking point.

SouWester

Dec 11, 2012
Devon
The unrecognised difference

You really do have my sympathy. I too have a wife with dementia and I find so many people don't realise the difference between looking after a parent (say) who you only visited occasionally and caring for a spouse who you used to be with 24/7.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
I echo what SouWester says - even though I'm with my wife 24/7 and she's a cheerful little soul, I do feel very lonely. It is very hard to go from loving husband to loving carer!

All the very best.
Phil

dancer12

Jan 9, 2017
Mississauga
I echo what SouWester says - even though I'm with my wife 24/7 and she's a cheerful little soul, I do feel very lonely. It is very hard to go from loving husband to loving carer!

All the very best.
Phil

I totally agree with all of you. It is a very hard, lonely and empty life. My husband has FTD and it's so difficult watching the strong and independent man I married lose a part of himself everyday. It just tears me apart. I usually fall asleep crying and wake up crying the next morning and I think have I been crying in my nightmares all night long and one night will we drown in my sea of tears. It's so hard

People say to find something you enjoy doing. But that doesn't last forever and eventually we have to come back to reality.

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
I totally agree with all of you. It is a very hard, lonely and empty life. My husband has FTD and it's so difficult watching the strong and independent man I married lose a part of himself everyday. It just tears me apart. I usually fall asleep crying and wake up crying the next morning and I think have I been crying in my nightmares all night long and one night will we drown in my sea of tears. It's so hard

People say to find something you enjoy doing. But that doesn't last forever and eventually we have to come back to reality.

Yes It is hard. I’ve lived with this for many years now and the country song ‘Cry me a river.’ could have been written about me. Seeing her suffer, I have said many times that I wished it was over for her sake. But as I have said in an earlier post on this thread, Saffie made me think again. I can honestly say that I have learnt to take one day at a time and, if I could coax one smile from MDW, I counted it a good day.
Now, being faced with the stark realities of end of life care, I find each moment needs to be treasured. Sitting by her bedside tonight, I sang ‘You are my sunshine’ and at one point her lips moved. A small thing, but it lifted me. I live in the moment, tomorrow will take care of itself.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That's wonderful Gringo. I can imagine how that lifted you. That song was one that my husband always loved.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

dancer12

Jan 9, 2017
Mississauga
Yes It is hard. I’ve lived with this for many years now and the country song ‘Cry me a river.’ could have been written about me. Seeing her suffer, I have said many times that I wished it was over for her sake. But as I have said in an earlier post on this thread, Saffie made me think again. I can honestly say that I have learnt to take one day at a time and, if I could coax one smile from MDW, I counted it a good day.
Now, being faced with the stark realities of end of life care, I find each moment needs to be treasured. Sitting by her bedside tonight, I sang ‘You are my sunshine’ and at one point her lips moved. A small thing, but it lifted me. I live in the moment, tomorrow will take care of itself.

Cherish every moment you have together. Your love for each other doesn't come very often. Cherish it.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I am so pleased that your dear wife responded to your singing even if fleetingly, Gringo and can understand the little lift it gave you. A small comfort but so meaningful. x

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Thinking of you and your wife Gringo, at such a difficult time.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Thinking of you and wondering how you are. Best wishes, Gwen x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
I can remember last year, when my husband was still able to talk, and I was telling him how I needed to do certain jobs around the bungalow. "Oh, I'll come and help you," he said.

Priceless. You don't realise how precious things like that are until you lose them. I'm speechless, Gringo. I loved your poem. I wish I could bring you some comfort, as do we all.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Apart from TP. there is no help for people like us.

I know.

It's shocking. Not only do we have to put up with being buffeted by this disease, but we have to also expect to be buffeted by so-called professionals who'd rather back each other up than help us, or tell us the truth.

Been there. Done that. Been angry. Sworn my head off, too, and I'm a lady?

I bet you haven't said any words I haven't said, Gringo. I know how bad that is. I see the truth you see because it's my truth, too. I care no less because of it. I care more, because of it, and I wish I could scrub this all away. For you, and for all of us, so we could all start again without the damned interruption of dementia.

It just ain't fair, is it. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
In silence I sit and hold her hand.
Here in the silence my mind runs free.
We two, we lived in love’s own land.
This woman was life itself to me.

My dear wife was freed from dementia's tyranny this morning.
But Saffe was right.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Please accept my deepest and most sincere condolences gringo. You have both suffered so much. One of you at least is at peace now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968