Enduring POA

animallover

Apr 21, 2014
Hi I have an enduring POA for my father which I took to his bank Santander after it was registered last October ,they sent me a letter stating his name would be removed from all his cards and would now be in my name .His debit card arrived a few weeks later and the other card was from a savings account which he had not used .I pay all his bills ,get his food shopping even buy his cigarettes (hate this as a non smoker) He has been fine with this until earlier this year when he started demanding his debit card and when I reminded him the card was now in my name he got very nasty .After a few days he would phone me and cry that he was sorry I would forgive and forget but last week his temper was so bad he frightened me and it turned out he had phoned his solicitor and asked her to change his will but he actually meant the POA and when she tried explaining she could not as it was all legal he got very annoyed .But what really worried me is his bank he went into a small local branch a few days ago after he found what he thought was a debit card and tried to lift money a member of staff noticed how annoyed he was getting and offered to help ,the card he had found was a Santander credit card he had never used (I didn't know he had it)she used it to bring up his profile without a pin number as he didn't have one and kindly let him lift £300 .My father is an Alcoholic which I have been able to monitor but he now has all this money which I only found out by accident .The complaints team from Santander is dealing with this and have admitted the member of staff did not ask for ID or go through security with him but according to the person I spoke to if my Dad has suitable ID he can sign in branch for money but cannot have a card .Has anyone had a similar problem I looked at how another bank deals with POA and it stated once it is registered only the Attorney can sign the accounts .My dad does not even live at the address where the credit card was sent plus it should have been cancelled at the same time as his debit card .Has anyone gone through similar .

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Has the procedure for putting an attorney on the account been done properly?

The Fund owners nam isn't normally taken off, just the attorneys added.

his name is usually left on the account too- its is, after all his money

doodle1

May 11, 2012
Ok are you sure you have the old EPA not the newer LPA? If you have the old EPA then once it is registered with the Office of the Public Guardian then the PWD cannot sign for anything ....and I mean anything all signature rights are stopped and only the attorney can sign.
You then get get bank cards that day for example ...Mrs Jane Bloggs POA
Santander is being cute.
Report them to the Office of the public Guardian

animallover

Apr 21, 2014
Has the procedure for putting an attorney on the account been done properly?

The Fund owners nam isn't normally taken off, just the attorneys added.

his name is usually left on the account too- its is, after all his money

Yes it was done properly and I know it is his money but he did not have any valid ID I only found out he had been into the branch and was allowed to lift £300 because my daughter went to take him some shopping as I was unwell and found his front door was not closed and he was out god knows where on his mobility scooter but had left the receipt from Santander lying on the worktop and his bank account number and sort code was on the receipt .

animallover

Apr 21, 2014
Ok are you sure you have the old EPA not the newer LPA? If you have the old EPA then once it is registered with the Office of the Public Guardian then the PWD cannot sign for anything ....and I mean anything all signature rights are stopped and only the attorney can sign.
You then get get bank cards that day for example ...Mrs Jane Bloggs POA
Santander is being cute.
Report them to the Office of the public Guardian

I live in N.Ireland and we do not have the newer LPA we still have the EPA and I think this caused problems when I contacted the complaints dept which is in England .My daughter kindly printed a copy of their Human Rights Policy and they certainly where not looking after my elderly fathers

Fullticket

Apr 19, 2016
Chard, Somerset
Enduring POA - money

I am so sorry for you and this situation. I had a chat with mum's bank about this some time ago. I got the POA activated and went in to the bank to get all financial things sorted so that I could control her bank account (loads of money had gone missing/had been stolen from her account at this point).

Despite her being taken to the cash machine by someone and withdrawing the maximum amount, then presenting cheques for cash in the bank and 'alarm bells' being sounded at the bank, they were adamant that the money was hers and if she came in to withdraw it then there was nothing they could do. So, technically, she has a bank card and could withdraw money; she has a cheque book and so could withdraw money.

Fortunately she lives with me now and has passed the stage of understanding bank cards and PINs so hopefully no chance of someone forcing her to take out money.

Just a thought but could you move the money into a savings account, transferring just what you need to pay the bills into a current account as and when it is needed? Obviously try to get hold of the credit card.

carlton ann

Feb 13, 2016
I had issues with NS&I they refused the enduring power of attorney, said I had to get a live document? I found them most rigid in their requirements, they too did not understand the EPA. I am afraid in the end of many phone calls I broke down in tears and spoke with the solicitors I had used, they were most helpful and said that they knew what to do and would send the documents direct to NS&I.
I got the money out of the bond and premium bonds. They also said some pension providers are also not accepting EPAs and are wanting extra on the documents to make them live.
I am uk based.
It may be worth contacting your solicitor?

animallover

Apr 21, 2014
I am so sorry for you and this situation. I had a chat with mum's bank about this some time ago. I got the POA activated and went in to the bank to get all financial things sorted so that I could control her bank account (loads of money had gone missing/had been stolen from her account at this point).

Despite her being taken to the cash machine by someone and withdrawing the maximum amount, then presenting cheques for cash in the bank and 'alarm bells' being sounded at the bank, they were adamant that the money was hers and if she came in to withdraw it then there was nothing they could do. So, technically, she has a bank card and could withdraw money; she has a cheque book and so could withdraw money.

Fortunately she lives with me now and has passed the stage of understanding bank cards and PINs so hopefully no chance of someone forcing her to take out money.

Just a thought but could you move the money into a savings account, transferring just what you need to pay the bills into a current account as and when it is needed? Obviously try to get hold of the credit card.

Hi the credit card has been cancelled but he didn't know this and tried to lift more money today but the bank refused as they now realize they should never have given him money in the first place .Because the POA had gone through the court he should not have had the card all cards in his name where supposed to be cancelled .Unfortunately I am having to deal with my dad screaming and shouting at me because the credit card has been cancelled and they will not give him more money ,I don't even know what he has done with the £300 he lifted on Saturday .

animallover

Apr 21, 2014
I had issues with NS&I they refused the enduring power of attorney, said I had to get a live document? I found them most rigid in their requirements, they too did not understand the EPA. I am afraid in the end of many phone calls I broke down in tears and spoke with the solicitors I had used, they were most helpful and said that they knew what to do and would send the documents direct to NS&I.
I got the money out of the bond and premium bonds. They also said some pension providers are also not accepting EPAs and are wanting extra on the documents to make them live.
I am uk based.
It may be worth contacting your solicitor?

Contacted my solicitor yesterday and still waiting for her to return my call but at least the Santander branch realize they are in serious trouble as my complaint has been passed to the area manager .

animallover

Apr 21, 2014
news

What an absolute nightmare for you! The member of staff sounds completely out of order :(

Just wanted to update you ,got a phone call this afternoon from a lovely area manager who is very unhappy with the branch who let my Dad lift money. She was very apologetic and assured me this is being taken very seriously and the staff involved will have disciplinary action taken and has admitted under the EPOA I have my father .should not have been able to have access to this account. This incident is still causing me a lot of stress but at least hopefully no-one else will have to go through this at least from this area .