Nana

Meganl1

Dec 21, 2016
Hi everyone. My nana suffers from Alzheimer's. I've wrote on here before about her accusing people of stealing things-mainly my mum.
She's been writing in short hand and then she says she doesn't know what it says. We think it's to do with my mum as she thinks she's stealing things. If anyone can read it and let me know that would be much appreciated!! Thank you x

Meganl1

Dec 21, 2016
6106d5195cfc88c4fcb9b4f37d55a7cd.jpg
4d3eb19edaf6d1c8df12e4ce81e95099.png

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
It appears to say that something is going missing, I showed it to my mum who also has Alzheimer's but can still do shorthand, the problem is that people develop their own way of writing it over time and other people can't necessarily read it.

Meganl1

Dec 21, 2016
Thank you so much for your replies. We was thinking it was saying something a long then lines x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Bay

Jul 24, 2014
Kent
I think the first note says 'I am very sad my ....... ....... and my type writer (?) are both missing.

The second note just repeats the name of the two items and then 'missing'.

carol4444

Feb 5, 2014
I think it says. "I feel very sad, my 'something' purse? and my typewriter have both gone missing. On second note : The same words or symbols, something (ending in 'ing' could be growing or occurring) then - could be 'purse' and typewriter missing.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

carol4444

Feb 5, 2014
My mum continually accused me of taking things and told everyone else I took things. Very difficult as most would believe her, unless they had already come across a person with alzheimers.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Meganl1

Dec 21, 2016
Thank you everyone for your replies. She's asking family members behind my mums back about the items..accusing my mum. My mum is really upset. We keep chucking the paper away as it's like a reminder every time she goes into the kitchen and sees it. But she keeps writing the same things every day

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
I can't read it. However, the way that she underlines it, it is something that is important to her at writing moment.

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
Thank you everyone for your replies. She's asking family members behind my mums back about the items..accusing my mum. My mum is really upset. We keep chucking the paper away as it's like a reminder every time she goes into the kitchen and sees it. But she keeps writing the same things every day

Hello Megan, it's not unusual for people with dementia to accuse others of all kinds of things. Often they accuse carers/relatives of 'stealing' when really they've either hidden things and forgotten where they are, or they remember things from the distant past which in reality they haven't had for years.

It's pointless trying to reason or argue with someone who has dementia it's far better to either distract them or make gentle ok noises.

More important is that the relatives to whom she's complaining understand that this is often a part of the disease and not real. Otherwise it's too distressing for your mum.

My mother used to write horrible notes about me accusing me of plotting to put her in a care home which was a bit rich seeing as I am the only person keeping her out of a home.....

She once stood in front of our house yelling that my 9 year old granddaughter and I were trying to kill her and we were torturing her. Luckily our neighbours know the score, have mostly encountered dementia before and just giggled.

Hopefully your relatives aren't taking these notes seriously but you could point them at this site to have a read if it helps.

Your poor nan is expressing her 'loss' of herself really and it's hard, not only for her but for those who care for her.

My mum doesn't do this anymore so hopefully your nan will eventually stop too. Was she a journalist or a secretary when she was younger? It's amazing she still remembers her shorthand.

Perhaps you could find some photos from the past and make her a picture book.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Sounds like your grandmother was a shorthand secretary in her working days and in her mind she is back there. Have you thought about finding a typewriter for her, manual or electric? Sounds a bit odd I know, but the next step after taking some shorthand is to type it out, it might just help and any further shorthand notes she does. you will be able to read after typing - that's if she lets you!

I have an old set of shop scales, had them for years and a while back my mum started taking things out of bags and weighting them, took me a while to work out that she was back in her fruit, veg and grocery shop she used to work in a long time ago.

Meganl1

Dec 21, 2016
My nana

Hi everyone. Wondered if anyone can make sense of this note..another one partly in short hand. She obviously doesn't want anyone reading it. Thanks a lot!! X
e346c53ce0277d79c0c2bfb7c0fcde30.jpg

Meganl1

Dec 21, 2016
Thank you all so much for your replies. It helps a lot to speak to people who understand the difficulties faces with caring for someone with this cruel disease. She was a secretary back in her day yes. X

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Is any of the new shorthand like the previous notes? I can see one that is. Might be a good Idea to create your own translation sheet as you get the answers from here. It could be that is she repeating herself. Is it Pitmans shorthand? if it is, there are still translation books around that you could get hold of. I think you could find some Pitman's if you google and then print it off to keep for future reference.

Meganl1

Dec 21, 2016
Can anyone make sense of this?? My nana keeps writing certain things in short hand..it's like it's something she doesn't want any of us to read? Thank you xx

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Haven't you asked this already in a different post?

It's not shorthand I have seen before but my OH, who has never learned shorthand, also used to write intelligible gobbledegook towards the later stages of his condition. I don't think it's that she doesn't want you to know what she's written, but that her brain does not allow her to get it out in readable form anymore.

Merrymaid

Feb 21, 2014
Can anyone make sense of this?? My nana keeps writing certain things in short hand..it's like it's something she doesn't want any of us to read? Thank you xx

Looks like Pitman shorthand to me. If she learned it as a young woman the links are likely quite strong for her brain, and if she used it in her job it has become extremely familiar to her. Take a look at this link which shows several shorthand types including Pitman.

http://omniglot.com/writing/shorthand.htm