Soiled Carpets

beverrino

Jan 12, 2015
This may have been covered on another thread, so sorry if I am going over old ground.

My mum is incontinent - she lives alone and we are mainly managing it. However on bad days she ends up trailing faeces everywhere and walks it into the carpet. The first time it happened I was very shocked when she said she didn't know what it was. After cleaning carpets, it is becoming impossible to manage, and so we are changing the carpets for a cushion floor type floor covering to make it easier to clean.

Now my question is - what about the stairs? I don't know what we should do regarding covering, I don't think a cushion floor type covering is very safe?

what has anyone else done who has had this problem?
thank you in advance

Researcher-Sue

Feb 6, 2017
UEA Norfolk
Hi

It' may be worth googling

HARRISON WEAVE WASHABLE STAIR TREADS-SET

They are washable mats which you can fix to your stairs but which you can lift to machine wash if needed.

Hope you find the right product for your mums home.

Sue

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
It must be very difficult for all of you.

Have you thought of laminate flooring for the stairs? I'm not sure how expensive this would be but if you Google "laminate flooring for stairs" it comes up with many solutions, as well as "how to" videos on Youtube.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
Phil

Peirre

Aug 26, 2015
How about a hand held wet vacuum or a cylinder wet vacuum with a long hose. I have a numatics (Henry Hoover brand) which has a 4m hose and attachment for upholstery/carpets, which is small enough to reach the stairs

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Have a look at Flotex, it's quite often laid as tiles but sheets are also available.
Don't know if it can be used on stairs.

beverrino

Jan 12, 2015
thank you everyone for your help. I particularly like the look of the Harrison Weave washable treads. I will discuss this with my sister tomorrow.
I wanted something that was carpet-like (easier to walk on and safe from slips)

I appreciate all of your comments, you are all so helpful

Murper1

Jan 1, 2016
What a shame for her. And a lot of work for you too. I'm probably being thick, but does your mum wear incontinence pants? Could it help if she had someone to come in a couple of times during the day when you can't, to help her to the toilet and get cleaned up after? I know it is bound not to be as straightforward as that so I am probably no help :eek:

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
We managed the carpet by using a marvellous product called something very like Doctor Beckam. First discovered for incontinent dogs, but worked Ok for husband!